Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas Genesis really that influential?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 05:38
Go Mo Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 16:42
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

In the seventies in Boston ("not much of a college town"), Genesis was barely noticed.  FM radio stations (where the good music was played - top 40 was on AM) frequently played ELP, Yes, Floyd, Jethro Tull, even some Zappa, Focus, and of course, Kansas.  Genesis finally got some airplay with the title track from Lamb.

Sadly, sometimes it's like you are talking to folks that do not know "history" and on top of it, they think it didn't exist.

You see, they live in the age of Harry Potter sorcery and occultness, thus the ability to define "progressive" other than some over rated pop music, is really scary! Specially when they think the world was stupid, not intelligent at all, and could not play a Fender or a Yamaha keyboard, or heaven forbid a Hammond organ!

All of the stuff you mentioned and then some ... way before Genesis ... in Santa Barbara, Genesis didn't really get started until AFTER the import "Selling England By The Pound" made its way, and that was almost 6 months AFTER the English release, to give you an idea. After that, more Genesis got played on Friday and Saturday nights courtesy of my roomate, since the other folks in the station thought it was just pretentious music.

And the same roomate played "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" in its ENTIRETY as soon as he got it, TWICE, in the same night.

True story!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 16:27
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by Queen By-Tor Queen By-Tor wrote:

is a retroactive following any less legitimate as influence or fandom as following the band in their peak? That would be impossible for some of us who weren't born yet.

I agree. I was in high school in 1980-84. There was a building on school grounds that had "Genesis Rael" spray painted on it large enough to cover one whole side. I didn't do it. It was another Genesis fan, necessarily a fan of old Genesis. Old Genesis fans were well represented in the 80s in the region I grew up in. True I remember I had to explain the "Rael" reference to a friend of mine who was mainly into Yes, Floyd, Zappa, and Tull. Buffalo NY, being two hours from Toronto, suffered no shortage of Rush fans either.
I'm not sure if I agree HF, that's why I posted the question. Did these retro fans, as I call them, really listen to Genesis or did they listen to peer groups like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden and then claim Genesis influence later on?

Edited by SteveG - June 25 2014 at 16:30
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 09:54
Originally posted by Queen By-Tor Queen By-Tor wrote:

is a retroactive following any less legitimate as influence or fandom as following the band in their peak? That would be impossible for some of us who weren't born yet.

I agree. I was in high school in 1980-84. There was a building on school grounds that had "Genesis Rael" spray painted on it large enough to cover one whole side. I didn't do it. It was another Genesis fan, necessarily a fan of old Genesis. Old Genesis fans were well represented in the 80s in the region I grew up in. True I remember I had to explain the "Rael" reference to a friend of mine who was mainly into Yes, Floyd, Zappa, and Tull. Buffalo NY, being two hours from Toronto, suffered no shortage of Rush fans either.

Edited by HackettFan - June 25 2014 at 10:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 09:26
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Yes.   
Not sure what you're getting at Doc, but what I meant was with only 5 neo prog groups in the '80s with 5 members per band , well lets see, that's... 25 Genesis fans! LOL

Tribute bands should be counted too.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 17:02
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Yes.   
Not sure what you're getting at Doc, but what I meant was with only 5 neo prog groups in the '80s with 5 members per band , well lets see, that's... 25 Genesis fans! LOL

Edited by SteveG - June 23 2014 at 17:21
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 16:04
Yes.   
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 15:55
Originally posted by ProgSword ProgSword wrote:

The fact that an entire genre centered around the behavioral quirks of that "Genesis sound" (neo prog) says a lot.
I agree in a way but when neo prog started it was a real cottage industry in relationship to the punk rock that was so popular at the time.
ProgSword View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 15:52
The fact that an entire genre centered around the behavioral quirks of that "Genesis sound" (neo prog) says a lot.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 01:02
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

[I think Genesis definitely influenced Italian Prog]

I agree but I'm going to be bold and say the opposite is also true. I feel that Italian prog influenced Genesis. I've never heard anyone say this before but it's my speculation and I don't think it's unreasonable considering how much time Genesis spent in Italy in the early seventies. If you listen to the synthesizer on SEBTP and then listen to say PFM and Banco(but especially PFM)you can hear where Genesis may have gotten some of their synth solo ideas from(as far as adding them in a way that PFM was doing and with the mellotron in the background). I remember when I first heard "Per un amico" it hit me that it probably had some influence on SEBTP.

quite likely true just as Aphrodite's Child 666 didn't go unnoticed either
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 12:25
[I think Genesis definitely influenced Italian Prog]

I agree but I'm going to be bold and say the opposite is also true. I feel that Italian prog influenced Genesis. I've never heard anyone say this before but it's my speculation and I don't think it's unreasonable considering how much time Genesis spent in Italy in the early seventies. If you listen to the synthesizer on SEBTP and then listen to say PFM and Banco(but especially PFM)you can hear where Genesis may have gotten some of their synth solo ideas from(as far as adding them in a way that PFM was doing and with the mellotron in the background). I remember when I first heard "Per un amico" it hit me that it probably had some influence on SEBTP.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 12:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 12:18
Here's the thing. Genesis' influence in the prog community is sort of an after the fact kind of thing. What I mean by that is even though Genesis were around in the seventies and were pretty big in some countries they weren't as big as the biggest prog bands of the day(at least not in the US). So when we look at their influence it's not fair to look at how popular they were during their prog days just like you wouldn't judge Gentle Giant that way. Their influence came later after musicians and many fans were introduced to them by and large in the eighties. I remember when I saw Genesis in 2007 their audience was very mixed. Yeah there were some people there who probably were into the band in the seventies but there were just as many who were my age and younger and probably many of them aren't even into prog let alone know what it is.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - June 22 2014 at 12:19
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 00:27
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

In the seventies in Boston ("not much of a college town"), Genesis was barely noticed.  FM radio stations (where the good music was played - top 40 was on AM) frequently played ELP, Yes, Floyd, Jethro Tull, even some Zappa, Focus, and of course, Kansas.  Genesis finally got some airplay with the title track from Lamb.

I had some prog friends that loved Genesis - I liked some of their songs, but most just elicited the 70's version of "meh". 

"And Then There Were 3" finally brought radio prominence.  But "Follow You, Follow Me" was hardly a prog masterpiece.

Many keyboardists I played with in those days were highly influenced by Genesis.  Most could easily master the arpeggios of Tony Banks, and were apt to show this to the other musicians.  Few would dare to imitate Emerson or Wakeman.

But the 80's seemed to be when Genesis-sounding bands really began to flourish.  I'd tell you my theory on why that was, but many Genephiles would get angry at me.

Admittedly I was pretty young, but I could swear Genesis was actually getting radio play in Buffalo, NY as early as Selling England by the Pound. This converges with them having done a limited US tour then. It's not quite the same thing as "influence" per se, but the band did experience rivalries with Gentle Giant, VdGG and Lindisfarne. I think Genesis definitely influenced Italian Prog, as was already mentioned. I'm also quite certain Genesis had more influence relatively speaking on classic British Symph prog than Zappa or Kansas, so it's odd to have mentioned those two. There are a lot of shared approaches to guitar between Hackett, Fripp and Akkerman. Who influenced who, though?...
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 15:57
They already are.  LOL
Help me I'm falling!
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 15:54

I had some prog friends that loved Genesis - I liked some of their songs, but most just elicited the 70's version of "meh". 

"And Then There Were 3" finally brought radio prominence.  But "Follow You, Follow Me" was hardly a prog masterpiece.

Many keyboardists I played with in those days were highly influenced by Genesis.  Most could easily master the arpeggios of Tony Banks, and were apt to show this to the other musicians.  Few would dare to imitate Emerson or Wakeman.

But the 80's seemed to be when Genesis-sounding bands really began to flourish.  I'd tell you my theory on why that was, but many Genephiles would get angry at me.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 15:37
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Genesis are arguably the most influential prog band. For one thing nearly the entire neo movement was built upon their sound in particular but with a somewhat edgier element to it. Genesis weren't really all that huge as a prog band at least not in the US and at least not compared to some of their contemporaries but their influence has nonetheless been very substantial. They are usually one of the first three or four bands that most newbies discover.
I agree totally that Genesis were an influence on the later neo-prog bands, DT and the like but not to Metallica, Saxon and other thrashers.

Edited by SteveG - June 12 2014 at 15:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 00:15
Genesis are arguably the most influential prog band. For one thing nearly the entire neo movement was built upon their sound in particular but with a somewhat edgier element to it. Genesis weren't really all that huge as a prog band at least not in the US and at least not compared to some of their contemporaries but their influence has nonetheless been very substantial. They are usually one of the first three or four bands that most newbies discover.
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 21:31
Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

Ask Eddie Van Halen. Wink
Logged out too early last night to explain. Referring to Hackett influencing Eddie to tap.
Exactly.  Most, if not all of the great tappers (Steve Vai, for another one) look back to Hackett as a great innovator and one to imitate and expand on...
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 18:02
^ Yes I remember them as one band from start to finish and loved every minute. Every minute of material from the band is wonderful. Noone like them, ever. Were they influential? Of course they were, we have a zillion neo prog offshoots and clone bands. Some excellent. The thing is every era and evolutionary change heralded great works, even commercially. I believe all members contributed to the sound even AFTER they left. It was carried forward in the band's DNA and well , no secret on PA, personally Phil Collins for me was the most influential member too, Brand X era or his solo era which released equally great commercial contributed work from Rutherford and Banks.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>