Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 52>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 02:20
Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

I just finished watching the mini-series "The Queens Gambit" on Netflix.  It was surprisingly good.  Worth watching.

Just finished watching it and yes, I too loved it. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 02:23
Finished The Umbrella Academy Season 1 and Riviera.

Enjoyed Riviera mainly for the locations ( Monaco , Venice and Buenos Aires) . The plot was suitably silly. Enjoyable escapist nonsense for a Friday night.

The Umbrella Academy was a bit of chore at times. I did love the story arc of Ellen Page's character that was just enough to keep me interested.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 09:59
No one has mentioned 'Pennyworth'.
Both the Mrs and I really, really enjoyed it. Best DC offering I think I've ever seen. Even Nolan's Batman trilogy.
I hope they keep up the standard for season 2.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 10:06
Silicon Valley was brilliantly hilarious. Especially for those of us familiar with that part of the world. 
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 10:18
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Darker or more realistic?
I'm one of those people that thought DS9 up the ante and brought ST into the realms of great Sci-Fi.
I appreciate Rodenberry's desire to paint a more idealistic view of the future but ST-TOS was far better than Next-Gen as far as the human/alien conflict stories go. When BSG (2004) came out I was ecstatic. I tried watching The Orvillebut couldn't get past the first few episode.
This is where I may take a issue a bit . Writers can push the story in any direction and there is nothing more 'realistic' about one storyline compared to another. I take this view with any genre not just sci-fi by the way. That said I can't stand Star Wars for the very reason that is complete and utter nonsense. It's not sci-fi but rather space fantasy which is a total different genre.  I would agree there has to be some sense of reality but that doesn't mean always that bad things must always happen. 

I love The Orville . Its been described as a spoof but Seth McFarlane clearly loves his sci-fi and the writing is tight.

Battlestar Galactica ( I presume what BSG stands for) . Never watched it as it always looked a bit Star Wars like.Smile

Not a Star Wars fan either really. I mean the original trilogy was good (back in the day). But since then they just keep rehashing the exact same story...YAWN. As for Seth's show I suspect it's sort of like Will Farrell, you either love his stuff or hate it. I'm in the latter.

Yes, BSG is Battlestar Galactica. But it's much more of a political drama with religious subtext (and to honest, text) than Star Wars could ever hope to be. Give it a shot.

I just finished watching BSG a few months ago. Thought it was great, I even got my wife in to it & watched it all again. 

Have you checked out The Expanse?  Very good show. The first season is a little slow but once everything comes together it gets really good. Plus it looks absolutely amazing, great effects.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 16:27

Both the Mrs and I really, really enjoyed it. Best DC offering I think I've ever seen. Even Nolan's Batman trilogy.

that's quite a recommendation. I expect I will watch it now that I have a Starzplay subscription.

Talking of Starzplay , if you like a good crime drama then check out The Godfather Of Harlem. Features Forest Whitaker in the main role and also Giancarlo Esposito (Gus in Breaking Bad) as a 'Bible basher' , ,Vincent D'Nofrio and also Paul Sorvino as his Mafia boss. Very enjoyable 'period sixties drama' about the tensions between the Mafia and Whitakers's character seeking to take back his territory after coming out of prison. If that cast doesn't get you drooling then nothing else will.Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 16:31
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Darker or more realistic?
I'm one of those people that thought DS9 up the ante and brought ST into the realms of great Sci-Fi.
I appreciate Rodenberry's desire to paint a more idealistic view of the future but ST-TOS was far better than Next-Gen as far as the human/alien conflict stories go. When BSG (2004) came out I was ecstatic. I tried watching The Orvillebut couldn't get past the first few episode.
This is where I may take a issue a bit . Writers can push the story in any direction and there is nothing more 'realistic' about one storyline compared to another. I take this view with any genre not just sci-fi by the way. That said I can't stand Star Wars for the very reason that is complete and utter nonsense. It's not sci-fi but rather space fantasy which is a total different genre.  I would agree there has to be some sense of reality but that doesn't mean always that bad things must always happen. 

I love The Orville . Its been described as a spoof but Seth McFarlane clearly loves his sci-fi and the writing is tight.

Battlestar Galactica ( I presume what BSG stands for) . Never watched it as it always looked a bit Star Wars like.Smile

Not a Star Wars fan either really. I mean the original trilogy was good (back in the day). But since then they just keep rehashing the exact same story...YAWN. As for Seth's show I suspect it's sort of like Will Farrell, you either love his stuff or hate it. I'm in the latter.

Yes, BSG is Battlestar Galactica. But it's much more of a political drama with religious subtext (and to honest, text) than Star Wars could ever hope to be. Give it a shot.

I just finished watching BSG a few months ago. Thought it was great, I even got my wife in to it & watched it all again. 

Have you checked out The Expanse?  Very good show. The first season is a little slow but once everything comes together it gets really good. Plus it looks absolutely amazing, great effects.

indeed , excellent sci-fi show although it took a bit of downtown for me when Thomas Jane's character was reduced to being a 'ghost'.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 16:32
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Silicon Valley was brilliantly hilarious. Especially for those of us familiar with that part of the world. 

absolutely loved that Clap
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 10:19
I have been meaning to watch Queen’s Gambit.   I recently finished watching season one of His Dark Materials, and been watching series two. I have been enjoying this show considerably.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 10:35
I just finished The Queen's Gambit too.  Quite an enjoyable show that honestly I didn't want to end.  It was a very pleasant surprise as I went into it not expecting much, yet it ends up being one of the best this year I believe.  

I watched His Dark Materials last year and finished season 1 but I haven't started watching season 2 yet.  I'm trying to catch up on a few others, but it's good to hear it's still enjoyable.

I found the two documentary series about the Nixium cult quite fascinating ("The Vow" and "Seduced").  They both lend a lot of insight into how people can get brainwashed into thinking strange beliefs and odd behavior can be "normal" in their eyes.  It's quite shocking what people can get bluffed into.  The great thing about both of these shows is that there is a ton of inside video since "Vangard" (Keith Ranier) wanted to record everything.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 15:08
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I have been meaning to watch Queen’s Gambit.   I recently finished watching season one of His Dark Materials, and been watching series two. I have been enjoying this show considerably.

Also a fan of Dark Materials....read the book series a few years back. It's well done.
Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 15:10

Fan of Pennyworth...really enjoyed season 1,,,hope 2 is as good.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 17:18
Thumbs Up  Right on !
Spread the word.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 06:58
The Queen's Gambit.

Not a fan of chess, but I've liked everything that Anya Taylor-Joy has ever been in.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
jjuliajul11 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jjuliajul11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 13:23
Chernobyl 10\10
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 14:04
Deadwater Fall     - Grim small-town intrigue, well produced.  Not bad, not great.

The Crown  Season 3    - Nice to see Josh O'Connor (The Durrells in Corfu) enhancing this ever-changing series and continue to emerge as a wonderful young actor.

The Days & Nights of Molly Dodd     Now here's a treat from the past with Blair Brown as a quirky 1980s New Yorker who is fascinated by off-beat people but can't seem to meet the right man.   Unusual, even eccentric, for a network show at that time.   Think Annie Hall meets Crossing Delancey.

The Bachelorette     Always hated this show, still do.  But this season is too hard to ignore as the original 'lady' left soon after the season began and had to be replaced by a stronger and more interesting woman.   Oh yeah, I went there.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 07:27
Season 4 of Fargo. It's OK, but in my opinion the weakest of the 4 series so far.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 08:38
My wife & I went back and watched The Practice again.  It's been almost 20 years so it was almost like watching it for the first time. I forgot how good this show was. It's on Hulu if anyone is interested  in checking it out. 
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 08:49
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

My wife & I went back and watched The Practice again.  It's been almost 20 years so it was almost like watching it for the first time. I forgot how good this show was. It's on Hulu if anyone is interested  in checking it out. 

A case of Practice makes perfect ? Tongue
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 09:17
I just finished watching the entire two seasons of Why Planes Crash on YouTube, even though most of the episodes are listed erroneously on YouTube as Air Crash Investigation. Wacko
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 52>