Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Roger Waters - Dark Side of the Moon Redux 2023
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roger Waters - Dark Side of the Moon Redux 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2023 at 00:30
Not a nice thing to say - something five year old kids might do. I wonder what has happened to society that some of us have so much anger and hatred bottled up inside ...
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 07:02
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 07:28
^ I can wait another two days to listen to the album ... I don't like spoilers Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 07:46
Eh, i don't blame you, i think i'll listen to it ONCE
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 07:50
^ I'll listen to it at least once, then we'll see. Based on the songs to date, I doubt I'll play it much. I much prefer the lockdown sessions.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 10:49
Hi,

This is such a weird set of conversations and discussions.

There are many versions of this and that in classical music and for many years, it was the Conductor's take on the music that made it special for many of us ... and no one went out and thought that one conductor was better than the other or their version of this or that was better or worse. Comparing Karajan to Bernstein is ridiculous, and you won't exactly know how to detail the differences in the music that make them special. (Hint!!! Neither will I!). But it will sound great anyway.

Here we are, almost 50 years later, and we're stuck on something that was done then, and no one can redo it differently ... well, I like that guy from Tool's (gosh ... not even sure now!) versions of the PF material ... that was really cool and enjoyable ... but to say that RW's versions of this or that are not right, is wrong. 

It's a new day, and time, and a different take that might give the piece of music some different emphasis ... but the sad side of it? We've already condemned everything to death and threw stones ... like we weren't sinners ourselves.

It's sad, because if you were an artist, you might want to do something different 50 years later ... heck, Bob Dylan does it, so why not Roger Waters?

It just shows how we have become completely disrespectful of artists, not that it did not happen in their time, but for something that has lasted at least that long and is still being appreciated, I think we should cut the artist some slack! Not the vitriol that is visible here. It's like folks are comparing apples to oranges ... !!!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 11:10
Hey, he can do whatever he wants, but we don't have to like it

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 11:14
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

Hey, he can do whatever he wants, but we don't have to like it

ClapThumbs UpBeer
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Spacelord View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacelord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 11:27
Myself I prefer the original
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 08:51
You cannot improve on a classic - tho this is a thoughtful re-imagining of the original. I find it OK but not great.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 08:59
It comes out tomorrow, doesn't it?

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2023 at 10:14
Ian

Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2023 at 11:31
I love Mary Fahl's interpretation of the album Smile

Mary Fahl - From The Dark Side of the Moon - Blu-ray 5.1 surround review -  Hi-Res Edition
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2023 at 13:10
^ I can't fail to fall for Mary Fahl with her October Project band. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 06 2023 at 14:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2023 at 18:56
Wish me luck comrades Beer, I'm about to listen to it

barbera View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2023 at 19:22
I have tried to write a review, but for some reason the site won't let me publish it, so I stick with the star rating. 2 and half to 3. Musically disappointing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2023 at 19:32
Musically, I could see myself doing something like it (although maybe slightly more exciting, I don't want people falling asleep) and as it's been a busy week for me, this album isn't helping. I'm a huge fan of poetry (even named after a famous one) but please, make it good

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2023 at 19:40
Listened to The Flaming Lips with Henry Rollins version of DSOTM today, it's quite good.
Ian

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2023 at 21:38
OK, I just heard it in Spotify. It's not so terrible, but I don't expect I'll listen to it again, let alone buy it. I see absolutley no reason to listen to this new one instead of the original (or the live at Wembley, or even the PULSE version).
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 03:58
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

OK, I just heard it in Spotify. It's not so terrible, but I don't expect I'll listen to it again, let alone buy it. I see absolutley no reason to listen to this new one instead of the original (or the live at Wembley, or even the PULSE version).

I've not heard the whole thing yet - and certainly not in one shot (don't intend to either).

All I've heard are the bits published over the last three months (I guess that now amounts to 2/3 of the album) and will try to listen to the rest at least once, but I doubt I'll be listening a second time to anything or parts and even less buy it.

Waters had balls to do what he did , but ultimately, it's a failure.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>