Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Did your friends or co-workers know what prog was?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDid your friends or co-workers know what prog was?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Did your friends, co-workers etc know what prog was before you met?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [14.29%]
12 [34.29%]
1 [2.86%]
6 [17.14%]
11 [31.43%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 20:55
When I ask people if they have heard of Triumvirat, they usually give me a screwed up look, and say, "um, Triumph?"LOL

Or Dzyan, they give me a wtf look and say, "Desire?"LOL
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 21:39
^LOL 
At my work I recently met a woman who had heard something about ELP, and was a fan of Kansas, a band whose music I only had 'heard something' about btw LOL . Which are their prog albums?

Another woman who is a closer co-worker still recalls something she knew of ELP, but remembers better of Rick Wakeman's music, she had the priviledge of being present at his show at the Maracană stadium (in the '70s or '80s? - gonna have to ask her again) where he performed the whole album Journey To The Centre of The Earth !   Oh  what a lucky woman she was !

Edited by Rick Robson - October 18 2014 at 22:55

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 06:55
No-Not a one of them has a clue to what prog is.If i were to utter the word prog at work i'd a very strange look indeed from my co-workers.So i never talk about music at all at work.
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
ebil0505 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 12:00
I've been blessed with some friends that appreciate the music I've shown them and some of them are now prog fans like me (though not as extreme ). My father enjoys Yes and my mother enjoys the song Roundabout. That's about it for my family.
"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 12:14
I'm now working at the biggest company I ever have in my whole career - 50 plus people.  One of my co-workers on my first project is a big Yes fan.  As far as know that makes us two of 50 who like at least some prog. heheheheheh
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 15:19
Originally posted by Kentucky_Hawkwindage Kentucky_Hawkwindage wrote:

No-Not a one of them has a clue to what prog is.If i were to utter the word prog at work i'd a very strange look indeed from my co-workers.So i never talk about music at all at work.

I was at a Genesis tribute band concert once where I suppose I just assumed everyone would know what prog is. I wound up talking to one guy and mentioned the word "prog" and he thought I was talking about the capital of Czech republic. Confused I almost couldn't believe it. I tried to explain it to him but then just got a blank look from him. I suppose this is rather common though. Usually if someone knows what prog is they might say something like "oh like Yes." One time a guy mentioned Kansas but usually it's Yes or King Crimson.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 01:02
Two if my colleagues know what prog is. My deputy (a 34 year old woman) is a metal fan and likes Dream Theater and Opeth, and is familar with quote a lot of prog stuff, mostly Crimson, Rush and Genesis.

There's another guy (25) who's dad likes prog and some of this has rubbed off on him. He loves Radiohead and Sigor Ros, and has borrowed Floyd and Rush DVD's from me.

As for my friends, they mostly know what prog is, they just don't like it.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 18:09
Not most of my coworkers, but many of my friends/family. I think most people have not heard of "Prog Rock".

Z
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12