FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp me with my paper on prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 10:42
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Because I get bored with cookie cutter pop/rock and prog quenches my thirst for variety, adventure and ambition.  Can't really think of any other reason.  It's the same reason why of those popular artists I liked as a child - Beatles, ABBA, Boney M, Celine Dion (why! why! Dead) - I only feel like listening to the first two nowadays.  I know what kind of market typical pop music is intended for but I don't need to listen to the same bloody formula a thousand times, that's boring for me.
  I still dig ABBA, RT (I love great melodies). I set up a Non Prog Music Forum under General Music Discussions. What are your favorite songs and albums by them? 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 10:44
Answer in the non prog thread.
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 15:38
Why prog? Because I love music because of music and I like prog's unique quallity - it's creative, skillful and it rocks. Apollonian and Dyonisian aspect of art in perfect harmony.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 15:30
Originally posted by ScorchedFirth ScorchedFirth wrote:

Prog will always beat any other genre for me. If a better one comes along, prog just eats it, and finds a way to mix it in with everything else available in the best way.

What he said, . . . in essence.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 18:33
Prog has lasting value and it isn't susceptible to changing trends. It's sort of like classical and jazz that way. Because it's not in the mainstream it doesn't have to follow the rules of pop music or try to be popular. Also, it's music that hits you on an intellectual level and an emotional level at the same time.

How's that? Please feel free to paraphrase that. ;)

Edited by Prog_Traveller - October 19 2014 at 18:34
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 22:18
Hi,

My opinion, still is, that "progressive" is a result of everything else that was happening in the arts and in the social environs. You can look at the 60's and you can see the movie business take off, then you can see theater doing some imaginable things, which had started in the 50's and continued into the 70's and then you can look at art/painting, and it also exploded with the multi media abilities that became better known and more popular. Literature was also not asleep during that time, and many books were very famous in the late 60's during the time that it is given (more or less) as the beginning of "progressive music".

Writing a paper on that will be difficult, since many of the scenes were also tied to the arts and not many as many folks are capable of mixing and matching things. The Canterbury scene, is a perfect example, of a scene that took its inspiration from a literary perspective, and all you have to listen to is Robert Wyatt's last album, and find that the free form style that was originally created then, in several different "styles" of music, is still alive and well, and while you and I can sit here and go ...what the heck ... in the end, making the connections is really hard. It makes more sense to even say that Robert Wyatt did his 1, 2 and 3 to make fun of jazz and the upper class folks walking around thinking they were better than the rock folks. One of the best examples of the lack of fear to go out on a limb and be totally free form, but still have the ability to make it work within the context of what they were doing, albeit, I think that this was not as accidental as we think. I really believe that it was quite intentional however, not well defined musically. This is the case in a lot of progressive bands all the way through the rest of the century, as a lot of their material also feels like filler on an album, and not necessarily "progressive" in any way, shape or form.

You, probably, have to make a decision, as to the value of some specific scenes, since "progressive" is way too generic, and while California was more influenced by Kesey and Kerouac in the early days, London was much more literary than that, and in many ways way more classically minded, in the sense that the work had "form", which some of the early California stuff did not!

At this point you will also come across Paris, Munich/Berlin and Tokyo, all three of which were (and still are) massively involved in their own artistic scenes and work. The Germans, even ended up creating a whole literary scene, to go along with the theater and film, which went along with the progressive scene that is known as "krautrock".

All in all, to discuss the scene generically, will make it harder all around to create something more complete that will help you learn about the music and its designs, and ideas, that folks went on with. 

I suppose that one could also define the ideas with a music staff and its definitions, although for my tastes taking the music that clinically, takes out the emotion involved. As an example, the idea of the "ragas" is for the musician to get past the mechanics of the music, and take it into a personal level that is "beyond music", and its definition. Jazz, also can do this, but in America, tends to be too formulaic and tied to the notes themselves, as folks consider themselves better musicians than rock folks, which is, of course, highly unfair, as there are just as many folks that well defined and versed in rock music!

I would not write a paper on "progressive music". 

For a little "guidance", or probably a suggestion as to how the California scene grew up, take a look at the film "The Trip" about Ken Kesey. There is a line towards the end, that will say it all about the scene and it has to do with people getting into the trip and what it means to them. It is a very important part of it all, in the end, as "drugs" tend to be mentioned as important to all the music in those days, although I seriously believe that those words were more media fear deliverance, than otherwise.

Also remember at the time, that one jerk was going around saying "the medium is the message", which is a serious issue, because it is another social design to make sure you follow the society instead of being different, which normally is not accepted. The medium is NOT the message, or your soul is worthless and stupid! But you have to make up your mind and see that. 

Also see the "krautrock" special from the BBC, specially the first 2 segments, because the words in there from Edgar Froese and others are very telling as to what that scene meant, and in general, what the whole "progressive" scene was all about.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 23:07
Originally posted by tweber92 tweber92 wrote:

Hey guys, first post in quite some time. I’m writing a paper for my Non-Fiction Writing class. We’re allowed to write about any medium in arts and entertainment. I've decided to write mine on the cultural reception and influence of progressive rock. I have the majority of the paper written but I’d love to post some brief thoughts from several music aficionados (fans or otherwise) to give my readers a cheeky sense of the divisiveness that comes with this genre. I already have all the disparaging comments I need, but I’m asking you guys for a concise sentence or two on why you love prog rock. Be as flashy as you’d like. Humor is encouraged. Oh, and be aware that I’ll be using these comments anonymously for copyright purposes and such.

I did a paper as an undergrad about Queen's "Night at the Opera" show in Chicago, which was brilliant! 

My instructor gave me a "C" for the paper and class.  

End of lesson. 
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 23:12
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I did a paper as an undergrad about Queen's "Night at the Opera" show in Chicago, which was brilliant! 

End of lesson. 
That C has remained in your username ever since.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 01:46
I would say from my prog experience that there are 7 wonders of the prog world in the way of songs: Van Der Graaf Generator's 'A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers', Yes' 'Close To The Edge', ELP's 'Karn Evil 9', King Crimson's '21st Century Schizoid Man', Pink Floyd's 'Shine On', Rush's '2112', and Genesis' 'Supper's Ready'.

The seven wonders of the prog world in the way of albums are similar as far as I am concerned: Van Der Graaf Generator's "Pawn Hearts", Yes' "Close To The Edge", ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery", King Crimson's "In The Court of The Crimson King", Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of The Moon", Jethro Tull's "Thick As A Brick", and Genesis' "Foxtrot".

Prog is the greatest music on the planet

Prog is the opposite of commercial radio sugaryness.

Prog is uncontested in the music industry as the most complex, diverse, inventive, misunderstood and maligned genre. That's why I love it.  
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 03:17

Hey guys, first post in quite some time. I’m writing a paper for my Non-Fiction Writing class. We’re allowed to write about any medium in arts and entertainment. I've decided to write mine on the cultural reception and influence of progressive rock. I have the majority of the paper written but I’d love to post some brief thoughts from several music aficionados (fans or otherwise) to give my readers a cheeky sense of the divisiveness that comes with this genre. I already have all the disparaging comments I need, but I’m asking you guys for a concise sentence or two on why you love prog rock. Be as flashy as you’d like. Humor is encouraged. Oh, and be aware that I’ll be using these comments anonymously for copyright purposes and such.

Hello tweber Smile
I rather not state the obvious as to what entitles Prog music, this is boring plus presumptuous. I love great moozik and funny noises too LOL

P.S. To me great prog moozik has to do with listening experience on it's own, a thrill much like going on a fanfare ride, it's the best natural euphoric Prozac because even when you are alone you forget your surroundings, all goes away, dragging you in, making you happy and enjoy the moment plus this moozik also has a great sense of humour, i.e. as stated above, I love the very silly funny noises LOL, the fact that there are no rules while listening to great musicianship , very little can beat this experience. One never gets tired of listening to a good album, just gets better on every listen, a good investment in my opinion and at the cost of just one Frappuccino at Starbucks, surely one cannot beat this!   hugs Hug   
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 03:34
Prog rock - non-pop popular music. Classical depth with rock immediacy; not intended for disposability. The crossroads of modern Stravinsky, Miles Davis and Chuck Berry. Or Dvorak and Deep Purple for alternative alliterations. Value added rock, based on music for originality and even preference. Utterly useless in pub quizzes. Discussed with more furtive secrecy than spies or shared perversions (with which it is unfavourably compared and undoubtedly less popular which says so much for the human race). Likely to excite the imaginations or intellect or reveal the absence thereof. People would use it against you if it were not for the fact they have no idea what prog is, even less (sic) than the oft snobby proponents of highest common denominator pop music even such a lowly one is me.

Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 16:59
If you want to write about cultural influence check out the history of the Italian scene. Oh man. So interesting :-)

But for me prog rock is my life. I make a point to make endless amounts of music that attempts to do something different. 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 17:37
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

If you want to write about cultural influence check out the history of the Italian scene. Oh man. So interesting :-)

But for me prog rock is my life. I make a point to make endless amounts of music that attempts to do something different. 

IndeedClap! I am Italian (though I have been living in the US for six years), and my first experiences with prog were with Italian bands. Prog was huge in the early Seventies, and even now the genre has many fans.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 18:58
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

End of lesson. 
You should have wrote something on Chopin, Charles.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12