Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Prog bands still influenced by the 'Big Five?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Prog bands still influenced by the 'Big Five?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 14:55
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

With many new Prog bands like Hawken, Karnavool, Moon Safari, The Pineapple Thief and TesseracT turning up lately with members of very young age (at least to me!), barely in their twenties, do you think the 'Big Five' like Genesis (along with their Neo clones), ELP, Pink Floyd, Yes and King Crimson hold heavy influence over their music? Or are other music groups like Radiohead, and other genres like Metal Core taking over that role? And what of former Doom metal goups like Anathama and Opeth? Do you feel they that they are filtering the 'Big Five' in their current sound, or treading their own paths with influences from other sources, including an evolution of their own?

Is Hawken different than Haken?

I'd argue tat bands are generally pursuing their own interests, which just happens to fall into the realm of prog. You can write an amazing epic without having heard Supper's Ready or Close to the Edge. You need some good cohesive musicians with a bit of inspiration. I think the closest you can come to an answer (without walking up to the artists and specifically asking them) would be their debut albums. I haven't heard any of these bands' debuts, but that's probably the closest you'll get to their influences rather than their own uniqueness. What do you think?

Edited by Metalmarsh89 - October 21 2014 at 14:55
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 14:57

^What should you do is the question.

Should? Suddenly the responsibility has been thrust onto me. LOL
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 15:01
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

With many new Prog bands like Hawken, Karnavool, Moon Safari, The Pineapple Thief and TesseracT turning up lately with members of very young age (at least to me!), barely in their twenties, do you think the 'Big Five' like Genesis (along with their Neo clones), ELP, Pink Floyd, Yes and King Crimson hold heavy influence over their music? Or are other music groups like Radiohead, and other genres like Metal Core taking over that role? And what of former Doom metal goups like Anathama and Opeth? Do you feel they that they are filtering the 'Big Five' in their current sound, or treading their own paths with influences from other sources, including an evolution of their own?

Is Hawken different than Haken?

I'd argue tat bands are generally pursuing their own interests, which just happens to fall into the realm of prog. You can write an amazing epic without having heard Supper's Ready or Close to the Edge. You need some good cohesive musicians with a bit of inspiration. I think the closest you can come to an answer (without walking up to the artists and specifically asking them) would be their debut albums. I haven't heard any of these bands' debuts, but that's probably the closest you'll get to their influences rather than their own uniqueness. What do you think?
No Hawken is a typo because I'm not familiar with the band or their music.  I put in quick posts or comments while working on the history of American Roots music. American music is my first love and priority with prog ranking around third of forth Shocked. But you're answer was pretty good.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 15:03

^What should you do is the question.

Should? Suddenly the responsibility has been thrust onto me. LOL
Not really fair but I knew I would get an intelligent answer! Tongue
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 15:17

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

to this topic. I find it tepid and insincere.

What can we do to make it not so?

Ignore it, and maybe it and the others derived from the same source will go away.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 15:21

to this topic. I find it tepid and insincere.

What can we do to make it not so?

Ignore it, and maybe it and the others derived from the same source will go away.
  How about taking your own advice? Sounds like a great idea to me. Tongue
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 15:40
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The one band I don't hear "new" bands talk about is ELP. Of course the two albums they generally know about is Tarkus and BSS. Greg Lake probably gets more mentioned due to his KC days and Asia success.

But prog bands will always make mention of a few of the 4-6 top influential progressive bands and they have their individual influences also.

In liner notes of Riverside albums drummer Piotr Kozieradzki and guitarist Piotr Grudzinski mention bands like Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Rush. Keyboardist Michal Lapaj mentions Jordan Rudess......makes sense based on the type of music they play.

bands not lead by a keyboard player are unlikely to be influenced by ELP to be fair

prog bands I know that are influenced by ELP can be counted on the fingers of one hand

Triumvirat (Germany)
Le Orme (Italy)
Par Lindh Project (Swedish)
Ars Nova (Japan)
Mastermind (USA)

only one per country allowed?!LOL

If you look at Eastern Europe, you can add Marian Varga and Collegium Musicum, partially After Crying, then the swedish Par Lindh is quite an Emerson's clone. EL&P have been more influential than what people usually thinks, but they have one problem: 
You have to to be skilled enough to play as any of them (that's why in Eastern Europe they had more followers: there is a different culture of classical music respect to the west) 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 16:04
You can tell Mikael Akerfeldt  has been lovin' some ELP as of late Tongue Granted, they're not as respected by modern audiences (especially in the U.S./U.K.) compared to other big prog bands. However, look up the famous video game composers like Koji Kondo, and they basically worship ELP!
elpprogster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 16:14
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

The one band I don't hear "new" bands talk about is ELP. Of course the two albums they generally know about is Tarkus and BSS. Greg Lake probably gets more mentioned due to his KC days and Asia success.

But prog bands will always make mention of a few of the 4-6 top influential progressive bands and they have their individual influences also.

In liner notes of Riverside albums drummer Piotr Kozieradzki and guitarist Piotr Grudzinski mention bands like Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Rush. Keyboardist Michal Lapaj mentions Jordan Rudess......makes sense based on the type of music they play.

bands not lead by a keyboard player are unlikely to be influenced by ELP to be fair

prog bands I know that are influenced by ELP can be counted on the fingers of one hand

Triumvirat (Germany)
Le Orme (Italy)
Ars Nova (Japan)
Mastermind (USA)

If you look at Eastern Europe, you can add Marian Varga and Collegium Musicum, partially After Crying, then the swedish Par Lindh is quite an Emerson's clone. EL&P have been more influential than what people usually thinks, but they have one problem: 
You have to to be skilled enough to play as any of them (that's why in Eastern Europe they had more followers: there is a different culture of classical music respect to the west) 

Well, as far as I know, ELP is nowadays often cited as an influence or inspiration to general Rock acts, such as for example Joe Bonamassa did recently.

Concerning actual or new prog/neo prog bands, its a sad fact that no one comes recently citing or showing directly ELP as their influences or just looking like them.

However in the reent past, there were a quite more bands influenced by ELP than the alredy listed above.
Hereīs a small and "hopefully" incomplete list by country:

- Argentina: NEXUS;
- Germany: AMOS KEY, TRITONUS, TRIUMVIRAT;
- Italy: LE ORME, TRIADE, (and to some extent Rustichelli and Bordini, the guys who did the Scolopendra album etc)
- Japan: ARS NOVA, DEJA-VU, SOCIAL TENSION, GERARD
- Uk: DAGABAND
- USA: POLIPHONY, QUILL, CAIRO, GLASS HAMMER

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 22:38
I so prefer LE ORME to ELP, much warmer sound to me, but it's definitely true that in their early classic period they were very influenced by ELP right down to their structure  Later on, less so.

Edited by kenethlevine - October 21 2014 at 22:39
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 23:03

Triumvirat (Germany)
Le Orme (Italy)
Ars Nova (Japan)
Mastermind (USA)

Cairo (USA)

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 01:01
Originally posted by elpprogster elpprogster wrote:

Triumvirat (Germany)
Le Orme (Italy)
Ars Nova (Japan)
Mastermind (USA)

Well, as far as I know, ELP is nowadays often cited as an influence or inspiration to general Rock acts, such as for example Joe Bonamassa did recently.

Concerning actual or new prog/neo prog bands, its a sad fact that no one comes recently citing or showing directly ELP as their influences or just looking like them.

However in the reent past, there were a quite more bands influenced by ELP than the alredy listed above.

- Italy: LE ORME, TRIADE, (and to some extent Rustichelli and Bordini, the guys who did the Scolopendra album etc)

admittedly a lot of bands I'm not familiar with in that list. The very last band you mention are Glass Hammer and certainly they made perhaps one album that could be considered ELP influenced (Chronomotree) but in general Yes are a much stronger influence and I think that also goes for a great many modern symph bands.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 09:37

Triumvirat (Germany)
Le Orme (Italy)
Ars Nova (Japan)
Mastermind (USA)

Thanks for that insightful answer, Luca. It's good to know someone who understands the tastes and culture of eartern European countries and their take on progressive music.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 09:56

Triumvirat (Germany)
Le Orme (Italy)
Ars Nova (Japan)
Mastermind (USA)

Glass Hammer......good call!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:15
Herīs a list of ELP influenced bands, although I donīt agree on most of them I think "my list" is more faithful Smile:

http://www.brain-salad.com/OtherBands/otherbands.html

By the way, another ELP influenced band from Denmark in the 70īs: IRON DUKE Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:20
And another from USA: MONOLITH http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1032
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:31

[QUOTE=richardh]

Triumvirat (Germany)
Le Orme (Italy)
Ars Nova (Japan)
Mastermind (USA)[/QUOTE]

- Argentina: NEXUS;

Tritonus is a band a lot of people miss, but it's pretty understandable. Peter Seiler's more known as a solo artist in the 80s on the Innovative Communication label.

That's a good list, to which we can add:

- CHILE: Jaime Rosas Trio: after a one-man album called Virgo, keyboardist Rosas formed the JRT and recorded Extremos (the next album added a guitarist and "Trio" became "Cuarteto").
- GERMANY: Trilogy, with their dual keyboardist setup. ELP definitely had a hand in shaping their sound, as if you couldn't tell by their name!
- JAPAN: Motoi Sakuraba, aka the "Keith Emerson of Japan," who has an extensive discography, and who also recorded one great album with Deja Vu, called Baroque of the Future.
- JAPAN: Social Tension, a full-on ELP-styled ALL-instrumental trio with fantastic keyboarding...too bad they faded away almost as quickly as they materialized. Every ELP fan should own the compilation It Reminds Me of...MacBethia which combines their amazing debut It Reminds Me of Those Days with the best material from their not-as-amazing sophomore effort MacBethia.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:34
^Wow! Great list!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:36

Herīs a list of ELP influenced bands, although I donīt agree on most of them I think "my list" is more faithful Smile:

http://www.brain-salad.com/OtherBands/otherbands.html

By the way, another ELP influenced band from Denmark in the 70īs: IRON DUKE Clap

I've never heard of Iron Duke. Good?

That list is woefully incomplete. I don't agree with the inclusion of Under The Sun. Another new name to me is Uku Meri. Has anyone heard their music?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 14:57
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

[QUOTE=richardh]

Triumvirat (Germany)
Le Orme (Italy)
Ars Nova (Japan)
Mastermind (USA)[/QUOTE]

- Argentina: NEXUS;

Tritonus is a band a lot of people miss, but it's pretty understandable. Peter Seiler's more known as a solo artist in the 80s on the Innovative Communication label.

That's a good list, to which we can add:

- CHILE: Jaime Rosas Trio: after a one-man album called Virgo, keyboardist Rosas formed the JRT and recorded Extremos (the next album added a guitarist and "Trio" became "Cuarteto").
- GERMANY: Trilogy, with their dual keyboardist setup. ELP definitely had a hand in shaping their sound, as if you couldn't tell by their name!
- JAPAN: Motoi Sakuraba, aka the "Keith Emerson of Japan," who has an extensive discography, and who also recorded one great album with Deja Vu, called Baroque of the Future.
- JAPAN: Social Tension, a full-on ELP-styled ALL-instrumental trio with fantastic keyboarding...too bad they faded away almost as quickly as they materialized. Every ELP fan should own the compilation It Reminds Me of...MacBethia which combines their amazing debut It Reminds Me of Those Days with the best material from their not-as-amazing sophomore effort MacBethia.

Thanks for reminding about TRILOGY; as a matter of fact from Germany Iīve yet another one: REJOICE.

Thereīs also TRESPASS from Israel and PATHERNON from Argentina!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>