Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Prog bands still influenced by the 'Big Five?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Prog bands still influenced by the 'Big Five?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:35
I remember vaguely a band called Trilogy in the eighties . They used to play the Stingray theme. Might be a different band though.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:58
Originally posted by elpprogster elpprogster wrote:

Thanks for reminding about TRILOGY; as a matter of fact from Germany I´ve yet another one: REJOICE.
There´s also TRESPASS from Israel and PATHERNON from Argentina!

I should have remember Trespass! Their first CD has some great music, but the vocals bring it down. The second CD's better.

I've not heard Rejoice or Pathernon. The review of Rejoice on PA isn't too flattering, and there's no entry for Pathernon.

I just remembered Alaska. LOL
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 12:09
I always thought steve wilson and even porcupine tree have a lot of Camel influence in them.

The newer opeth stuff sounds VERY much like deep purple or uriah heep.

I dont know if this is the "top whatever" bands of prog (camel, deep purple, uriah heep)... but this is my 2 cents worth on this.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 14:20
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

They should listen to King Crimson!  Their concert in Chicago on 26 Sept, 2014 was one of the best I'd ever seen (and I've seen the CTTE tour in '72, LTIA in '73, Relayer, TAAB etc. tours!)

This was Crimson's stage setup, THREE drummers!

One is usually more than enough for me.
As strange as this sounds, I would go just to see the drummers!
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 17:44
Interesting topic. It's hard to say. It depends on how people are using the term "progressive rock." I still think there is a big distinction between prog and say fusion, electronic, post rock, indie rock, psychedelic etc so I think the band has to be pretty commonly referred to as prog for a band to be influenced by them if they want to start a prog band. It's one thing to have influences but if your main influences are indie bands, alternative and maybe some prog then you aren't necessarily going to be forming a full on prog band. At some point the big newer prog bands were Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Flower Kings and maybe IQ. Now I'm not so sure who the big name newer prog bands are that are getting people exciting except maybe Big Big Train, Anathema or Riverside. There are just so many and I don't see many being singled out. There seems to be a lot of competition. To answer the question I would say the younger folks are probably mostly influenced by Pink Floyd and Rush and to a lesser extent Yes and Genesis.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 18:39
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

They should listen to King Crimson!  Their concert in Chicago on 26 Sept, 2014 was one of the best I'd ever seen (and I've seen the CTTE tour in '72, LTIA in '73, Relayer, TAAB etc. tours!)

Thanks for that!  They reminded me of how very important "the drum" is in King Crimson's music!! 

With three drummers, the music was very rich!  Drummers were Gavin HarrisonPat Mastelotto and Bill Rieflin, and they all did many things!  Mastelotto did an amazingly good Jamie Muir imitation during the LTIA material, and Bill Rieflin did a bunch of Mellotron synth work!  When they were all going at it together, it was thunderous and wonderful!  
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 21:41
I listened to the bands you listed and here's what I think their influences are
Haken: I definitely hear a gentle giant influence here
Karnivool: Without a doubt the biggest tool ripoff I've heard
Moon safari: I guessed they were a yes ripoff by the name, Turns out I guessed right.
The pineapple thief: sounds like watered down indie rock. There are prog moments but I don't really hear any specific prog influences.
TesseracT: heavily influenced by tool and meshuggah
I would say there are more influential bands than just the big 5. Gentle giant, jethro tull, van der graaf generator, and camel were all pretty influential. There do seem to be a lot of bands influenced by prog metal bands as well. I'm not sure what you meant by "metal core taking over that role". I definitly do see progressive metalcore bands but I don't think they have that large of an influence.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 02:25
^ Haken have a variety of influences while Moon Safari are more Beach Boys ( who influenced Yes btw). Not famiiar with the other bands.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 03:34
I think The Pineapple Thief are mostly indie, but they have some clever Radiohead-like experimentalism, with an almost Porcupine Tree dynamicism. They fit perfectly into Crossover but I don't hear any influences from 'classic' Prog bands. Many bands can have Floydian flavours without even knowing it.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 04:01
I really dig 'What We Have Sown' but I think they have an obvious Porcupine Tree sound. From the vocals right down to the synths and guitars. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 05:11
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I really dig 'What We Have Sown' but I think they have an obvious Porcupine Tree sound. From the vocals right down to the synths and guitars. 

When I saw The Pineapple Thief play live at NEARfest 2010, I could not help noticing a heavy Radiohead influence - especially in the vocals. However, there was very little in their music that suggested classic prog, as others have pointed out in previous posts. This was probably why the majority of the audience (mostly composed by fans of traditional prog) could not relate to the band.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 05:29
Hmmm yeah now that you mention it, there may be a little Yorke to the vocals, but then again I always thought he sounded like Wilson - or is that the other way around.....(nahh Steve was first)....at least the whining and melancholic end of their respectable pipes do sound alike. -Just like every other band out there trying to be overly passionate and droopy at the same time: Muse, Mew, Gazpacho, Keane, Kashmir, Coldplay etc etc. In the mid 90s when these vocals first got launched, i thought it was just a passing phase. Who knew it'd turn out to be the blueprint for the upcoming generations of alternative/indie/shoegaze singers? Also inspired most bands inside the ridiculously named sub genre of post-progressiveLOL (where Pineapple Thief often is placed).

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 29 2014 at 05:31
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 05:40
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hmmm yeah now that you mention it, there may be a little Yorke to the vocals, but then again I always thought he sounded like Wilson - or is that the other way around.....(nahh Steve was first)....at least the whining and melancholic end of their respectable pipes do sound alike. -Just like every other band out there trying to be overly passionate and droopy at the same time: Muse, Mew, Gazpacho, Keane, Kashmir, Coldplay etc etc. In the mid 90s when these vocals first got launched, i thought it was just a passing phase. Who knew it'd turn out to be the blueprint for the upcoming generations of alternative/indie/shoegaze singers? Also inspired most bands inside the ridiculously named sub genre of post-progressiveLOL (where Pineapple Thief often is placed).

I love your definition of that vocal style, though I personally tend to be a bit harsher when describing Wilson's vocals (I have been known to use the word "soporific", at least when talking with like-minded people Wink). As to the post-progressive tag (hopefully not to become a new subgenre on PALOL!), it is often identified with bands or artists on the KScope label - many of whom, unfortunately, sound somewhat sleep-inducing to these earsTongue.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 06:15
The Kscope label reminds me of a modern take on the ECM sound of the 80s.  

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 06:32
I do admire how TPT's leader, Bruce Soord, composes many a catchy tune in odd metres, and their longer workouts are 'progressively' structured. Quality musicianship all round, though they fail to be a convincing Prog act. I do, however, enjoy the albums I have by them.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 08:42

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Thanks for that!  They reminded me of how very important "the drum" is in King Crimson's music!! 

With three drummers, the music was very rich!  Drummers were Gavin HarrisonPat Mastelotto and Bill Rieflin, and they all did many things!  Mastelotto did an amazingly good Jamie Muir imitation during the LTIA material, and Bill Rieflin did a bunch of Mellotron synth work!  When they were all going at it together, it was thunderous and wonderful!  
No problem Charles. It takes a special type to appreciate the intricate interplay between drummers of this caliber and I guess we're the type.
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 09:24
I might listen to the pineapple thief again. I do like indie and alternative but I find these guys kind of boring. As for haken, gentle giant was just the first influence I heard.theres probably some king crimson as well as other influences.
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 10:26
I always thought it as the Big Seven, with the above mentioned bands, as well as Jethro Tull and Rush included. Certainly, there are Neo prog bands out there who were influenced by Rush

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 11:04
There are many influenced by Rush's original ideas. One idea that has been repeated by other bands is the syncopation in Rush's music , often accented primarily by Neil Peart along with Alex Lifeson's and Geddy Lee's strokes it forms an original sound. Notice some of the patterns Happy Family play when doing a version of "Bulgarian Flying Spirit Dances" (Daniel Denis). I've never heard the original version, but when hearing this one...I hear an emulation of the Rush sound. These ideas Rush used were definitely used before. The greatness of Rush existed in their ability to taking further steps with those ideas and forming a very original sound. 
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 11:31
The more sophisticated side to Jethro Tull's composition not only influenced many Progressive Rock bands of the 70's , but many bands in recent times. The only one that comes to mind for me is ..Solaris..although there are many others I've heard over the years. I appreciate Solaris for ideas of their own and apart from their great musicianship, I believe they are sincere about any emulation borrowed from Jethro Tull

Yes influenced musicians to write melodic and to back the melody with atmospheric keyboard sounds. Genesis accomplished something special in this area. For example..when you hear Peter Gabriel singing over a soundscape created by atmospheric sounding keyboard settings..while the rest of the band is not playing is a method used in theatre composition. All of this approach can be attributed to the concepts of writing Prog today. These methods derived from ideas in the 70's cannot be duplicated with new ideas on a high bracket rating scale. The Neo Prog bands who have total originality are few when compared to the vastness of the obvious emulation of the 70's existing in the majority of them.

This was a huge slap in the face during the 70's as well. Even a decent amount of 70's underground Progressive Rock bands emulated the big 5 or 7 to a point where it was utterly a letdown. During that time period someone like Francis Monkman would come along and present original keyboard style placed within Progressive Rock along side of about 60 or 70 others who refused to do that. Graham Field , keyboardist with Rare Bird produced an Emerson on "As Your Mind Flies By". David Greenslade was naturally a Classical sounding player and possibly any emulation sounding like Emerson and Wakeman was the reason for that cause to be in question by fans of the 70's. Rod Argent  in the very early days of Argent had some originality in his improvisation and wasn't emulating anyone in particular. Vincent Crane was an accomplished pianist in the area of Jazz and often added in chord voicings and obscure sounding improvisation that perhaps was never conceived by the "Big 5".

Edited by TODDLER - October 31 2014 at 11:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>