Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Most Influential

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Poll Question: Who's the most influential artist here on PA?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [15.49%]
4 [5.63%]
15 [21.13%]
1 [1.41%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.82%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [9.86%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.41%]
1 [1.41%]
17 [23.94%]
3 [4.23%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.82%]
5 [7.04%]
1 [1.41%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.41%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 12:51
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Maybe it's just me then. I do hear distinct ELP influences at play in both bands, although they never really sound like them, if you catch my drift.

I always found Cranes keyboard work heavier,more built on menace, and less elaborate  that Emerson's and given that he essential entered the music scene in 67 with The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown I'd find it surprising if he was influenced by The Nice. Maybe they just have some elements of play that are similar.

I've always thought of Elephant9 as more of a heavy jazz fusion power trio than a Classical & Rock influenced band  like ELP but listening to Dodovoodoo again you may be right though it does sound a lot more fuzz keyboards than I'm used to with Emerson. Good spot.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 13:46
Some other bands strongly influenced by ELP are Latte e Miele, Triade and the latter period of The Trip.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 13:52
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Some other bands strongly influenced by ELP are Latte e Miele, Triade and the latter period of The Trip.

also Par Lindh Project (Sweden) and Mastermind (USA) 

but apart from that what else have the Romans ever done for usWink
JeanFrame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 14:38
CLOUDS - Prog was a myriad of ideas that came together rather than any one source, but if any band could be said to be a major influence on prog itself, it would be 1-2-3 (Clouds)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 15:34
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Would love to say Henry Cow or Univers Zero Smile

As is open to all bands not just prog it has to be Kraftwerk.
But at least Magma have had some influence...
For the most influential I think it's question of making the count, but surely Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson (today more than before), and don't forget Emerson Lake and Palmer, especially in Eastern Europe.
The strange thing with Zappa is that he has surely influenced many artists, but very few proggers for what I know.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 16:22
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

ELP
Clap

OK name me a band that were influenced by ELP (apart from T********t).

every damn prog band that showcases keyboards as a lead instrument.

However the OP subtly didn't make  the poll most influential IN prog.. that is a ELP no brainer. You don't have to sound like a group to be influenced by it. That is the difference between amateur analysis and really understanding what was going on. ELP is far away the most influential group in prog.

In terms of wider musicical influence as I read the OP's question. It is Floyd no doubt.

As far as Genesis... hahaha.  It is not a popularity vote. It is nice to see that things haven't changed here in all these years, the Genesis fans have never failed to mistake modern popularity for historical revelevance. There is a reason they are known as a pop group... not a prog group.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 16:43
Whoa!  I think that I've seen a Ghost (Rider).
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 17:19
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I wish. Perhaps she will soon come back. She was always the better, and definitely the kinder and better looking,  of the two-headed monster we were.

It is wonderful to see  you Scott.  I hope all is has been well with you. There were a handful of PA's friends that we didn't keep up with as we made the FB jump. You were definitely one of them. Sorely missed. We both really enjoyed talking and shooting the sh*t with you.

btw. We celebrated 8 years together yesterday.  All because of this goddamned site haha.

To emphasize my point on the last post.  We went to the NJ Proghouse last weekend, and saw a bunch of neat bands. One (whose name escapes me as I was in the process of running up a nearly 200 dollar bar tab hahahha) who featured Tom Brislin on keyboards. Read the comments on that performance.  It really didn't take off, it was basic neo-prog song based stuff that was good.. but.. things took off when Brislin was 'unleashed'.  That my friends is what prog is about, it is what prog fans want and expect... to see keyboardists not sit back and chomp down chords but solo and show us what they can do. That is one of the main aspects of prog, the bringing forward of the keyboardist into the spotlight, and that my friends is exactly what ELP brought to Prog. That and the standard for ENSEMBLE virtuosity we expect from prog bands. Prog owes that to ELP. Save us the Genesis crap... the perfect cure for insomnia.  That is definitely not what prog is about hahha

Edited by micky - October 21 2014 at 17:21
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 17:32
^ Cool to see you around Micky
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 19:21
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I wish. Perhaps she will soon come back. She was always the better, and definitely the kinder and better looking,  of the two-headed monster we were.

It is wonderful to see  you Scott.  I hope all is has been well with you. There were a handful of PA's friends that we didn't keep up with as we made the FB jump. You were definitely one of them. Sorely missed. We both really enjoyed talking and shooting the sh*t with you.

btw. We celebrated 8 years together yesterday.  All because of this goddamned site haha.

To emphasize my point on the last post.  We went to the NJ Proghouse last weekend, and saw a bunch of neat bands. One (whose name escapes me as I was in the process of running up a nearly 200 dollar bar tab hahahha) who featured Tom Brislin on keyboards. Read the comments on that performance.  It really didn't take off, it was basic neo-prog song based stuff that was good.. but.. things took off when Brislin was 'unleashed'.  That my friends is what prog is about, it is what prog fans want and expect... to see keyboardists not sit back and chomp down chords but solo and show us what they can do. That is one of the main aspects of prog, the bringing forward of the keyboardist into the spotlight, and that my friends is exactly what ELP brought to Prog. That and the standard for ENSEMBLE virtuosity we expect from prog bands. Prog owes that to ELP. Save us the Genesis crap... the perfect cure for insomnia.  That is definitely not what prog is about hahha

Just wanted to take my hat off to your words about the most fantastic prog band I ever listened to: ELP!

And thank you so much for one more great reference that I just happen to read here in the PA Forum: Tom Brislin! God Damned ! How I wish I was there at that NJ Proghouse !...

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 20:02

How are Genesis winning this poll? It's about influence on other bands and artists - regardless of the prog tag. Most musicians, that aren't prog fans, have no clue about 70s Genesis, and while the stuff they dished out in the 80s was successful (and pretty damn good), I fail to see how influential it really was on subsequent generations of music makers.
Kraftwerk and Miles were and still are vastly more influential on not just one scene but dozens, literally. The music world doesn't always stop at the prog gates - sometimes we tend to forget that in here amongst the Rush and Genesis fumes.   
Yep. This poll just confirms my belief that people on this site will vote Genesis on a poll regardless of the title. It's annoying to say the least.

Edited by Luna - October 21 2014 at 20:02
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 20:24
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Would love to say Henry Cow or Univers Zero Smile

As is open to all bands not just prog it has to be Kraftwerk.
But at least Magma have had some influence...
For the most influential I think it's question of making the count, but surely Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson (today more than before), and don't forget Emerson Lake and Palmer, especially in Eastern Europe.
The strange thing with Zappa is that he has surely influenced many artists, but very few proggers for what I know.

When you invent your own genre then I guess you've had some influence. I'd go with a top 5 of

Kraftwerk
Miles Davis
Pink Floyd
Frank Zappa
CAN

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - October 21 2014 at 20:26
Ian

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 20:29
Voted Floyd, but didn't notice that there was also Kraftwerk and Miles, who do beat even Floyd in terms of influence imo.  I guess Coltrane and Brubeck aren't in the poll but I have noticed near-outright quotations from their tracks at times in prog compositions.  Love Supreme is paraphrased in Squarer for Maud, for instance.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 01:31
Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

How are Genesis winning this poll? It's about influence on other bands and artists - regardless of the prog tag. Most musicians, that aren't prog fans, have no clue about 70s Genesis, and while the stuff they dished out in the 80s was successful (and pretty damn good), I fail to see how influential it really was on subsequent generations of music makers.
Kraftwerk and Miles were and still are vastly more influential on not just one scene but dozens, literally. The music world doesn't always stop at the prog gates - sometimes we tend to forget that in here amongst the Rush and Genesis fumes.   
Yep. This poll just confirms my belief that people on this site will vote Genesis on a poll regardless of the title. It's annoying to say the least.

Funny thing I voted Genesis but it was a genuine answer. I think people know that I am not beholden to Genesis but I hear their ideas in so many modern prog bands its really hard to ignore their influence on the prog scene.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 05:57
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Funny thing I voted Genesis but it was a genuine answer. I think people know that I am not beholden to Genesis but I hear their ideas in so many modern prog bands its really hard to ignore their influence on the prog scene.

Yeah but the OP specified any kind of music, not just prog.
Ian

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 06:04
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

You're of course entitled to your opinion, but for influence on prog in particular I would have selected either Crimson or Floyd over Genesis.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:45
I can understand KC and Genesis as big influences, but who exactly did Floyd influence except for early Mostly Autumn and Floyd cover bands? And please don't tell me Porcupine Tree because I can't hear it.

Edited by SteveG - October 22 2014 at 10:46
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:01
Bands with Floyd influences?
Some featured here on PA:
Marillion, Eloy, IQ, Pendragon, Camel, Pulsar, The Future Kings Of England, Radiohead, Muse, Mew, Siddhartha (Turkish band), Odyssice, Pineapple Thief, Airbag, Alan Parson Project, Far East Family Band, Alcest, Tangerine Dream, Setna, Anathema, Astra, Big Big Train, Phideaux, Crippled Black Phoenix and the list is literally endless. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:06

Bands with Floyd influences?
Some featured here on PA:
Marillion, Eloy, IQ, Pendragon, Camel, Pulsar, The Future Kings Of England, Radiohead, Muse, Mew, Siddhartha (Turkish band), Odyssice, Pineapple Thief, Airbag, Alan Parson Project, Far East Family Band, Alcest, Tangerine Dream, Setna, Anathema, Astra, Big Big Train, Phideaux, Crippled Black Phoenix and the list is literally endless. 

Ok, I'll go with Radiohead and Camel as obvious. TD I feel was self evolving but you could make a case for them. The rest I feel have just a passing influence with other bands that are more prominent.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:08
Airbag have very obvious Floydian soundscapes, and when they then slap a Gilmour solo on the piece, it gets to be even more in your face methinks.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>