Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Most Influential

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Poll Question: Who's the most influential artist here on PA?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [15.49%]
4 [5.63%]
15 [21.13%]
1 [1.41%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.82%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [9.86%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.41%]
1 [1.41%]
17 [23.94%]
3 [4.23%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.82%]
5 [7.04%]
1 [1.41%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.41%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:21
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I can understand KC and Genesis as big influences, but who exactly did Floyd influence except for early Mostly Autumn and Floyd cover bands? And please don't tell me Porcupine Tree because I can't hear it.
Apart from Guldbamsen's list, Karnataka was another I can readily think off.  I am surprised, to be honest, that such a question could be asked in the first place because Gilmour is easily one of the most popular 'sources' when any rock guitarist of the 80s and onwards wants to play a slow, shimmering electric guitar solo.  Almost every 'moving', 'haunting' slow guitar lead in the 80s/modern era is basically Gilmour, whether or not fans of the bands in question wish to acknowledge it.  So, even in a band like Dream Theater, which may not be heavily influenced by Floyd overall, some of Petrucci's slow guitar passages certainly evoke Floyd. Especially so in Octavarium but there are plenty of other examples.  Spirit Carries On is so heavily based on Wall-era Floyd.  Some slow leads of PoS too have evoked Gilmour for me. 

Moving to more crossover bands, Supertramp are undeniably influenced by Floyd.  Yes, they are also influenced by other great rock bands but that's not the point.  Floyd are to rock as Miles standards are to jazz, they are all over the place, creeping into the output of many bands one way or the other.  Queensryche's Silent Lucidity is a definite Floyd-inspired case.  Especially the "Hush now don't you cry" verse evokes Mother.  In the case of bands not listed on PA, Tears for Fears were surely influenced by Floyd.  I could literally go on and on.    And this is only with respect to their more popular Gilmour/Waters 70s epoch.  Piper..and Saucerful...are also immensely influential albums, especially so on the Krautrock sub genre of prog.  Doors was also great source material but I would be surprised if Floyd weren't a source. Ah, remembered one more. What about Eloy's Ocean album?  When I heard it last, which is so long ago that I can no longer recall vividly,  I found it almost too Floyd-like to persist. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:28
^Nice post.

It also very eloquently, perhaps unintentionally, describes the difference between 'influence' and 'copycatting' - the latter often mistaken for the former. It is possible for a band to have Floyd influences without ever sounding like Floyd.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:30
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^Nice post.

It also very eloquently, perhaps unintentionally, describes the difference between 'influence' and 'copycatting' - the latter often mistaken for the former. It is possible for a band to have Floyd influences without ever sounding like Floyd.

Couldn't agree more.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:38
^Nice post, I agree. But I have worked with many guitarists over the years who owe at least part of their style and tone to Gilmour and their band's share none of Floyds attributes. Case in point, Dream Theater. Petrucci can also copy styles and tones from guitarists as diverse as Brian May and actually has done a May copy on the Six Degrees album. Now, does Dream Theater sound like Queen because Petrucci can imitate Brian May?

Edited by SteveG - October 22 2014 at 11:47
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 12:54

Airbag have very obvious Floydian soundscapes, and when they then slap a Gilmour solo on the piece, it gets to be even more in your face methinks.

That band is hilarious for how obvious they want to sound like PF. Cringe-worthy. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:11
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

How are Genesis winning this poll? It's about influence on other bands and artists - regardless of the prog tag. Most musicians, that aren't prog fans, have no clue about 70s Genesis, and while the stuff they dished out in the 80s was successful (and pretty damn good), I fail to see how influential it really was on subsequent generations of music makers.
Kraftwerk and Miles were and still are vastly more influential on not just one scene but dozens, literally. The music world doesn't always stop at the prog gates - sometimes we tend to forget that in here amongst the Rush and Genesis fumes.   
Yep. This poll just confirms my belief that people on this site will vote Genesis on a poll regardless of the title. It's annoying to say the least.

Funny thing I voted Genesis but it was a genuine answer. I think people know that I am not beholden to Genesis but I hear their ideas in so many modern prog bands its really hard to ignore their influence on the prog scene.

You're of course entitled to your opinion, but for influence on prog in particular I would have selected either Crimson or Floyd over Genesis.

Coincidentally I just happened to listen to some Astra this morning and noticed a strong KC influence which hadn't occurred to me previously.Thing is I don't always recognise it and KC is perhaps a little harder to pick up on I suppose.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:13
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I can understand KC and Genesis as big influences, but who exactly did Floyd influence except for early Mostly Autumn and Floyd cover bands? And please don't tell me Porcupine Tree because I can't hear it.
Apart from Guldbamsen's list, Karnataka was another I can readily think off.  I am surprised, to be honest, that such a question could be asked in the first place because Gilmour is easily one of the most popular 'sources' when any rock guitarist of the 80s and onwards wants to play a slow, shimmering electric guitar solo.  Almost every 'moving', 'haunting' slow guitar lead in the 80s/modern era is basically Gilmour, whether or not fans of the bands in question wish to acknowledge it.  So, even in a band like Dream Theater, which may not be heavily influenced by Floyd overall, some of Petrucci's slow guitar passages certainly evoke Floyd. Especially so in Octavarium but there are plenty of other examples.  Spirit Carries On is so heavily based on Wall-era Floyd.  Some slow leads of PoS too have evoked Gilmour for me. 

Moving to more crossover bands, Supertramp are undeniably influenced by Floyd.  Yes, they are also influenced by other great rock bands but that's not the point.  Floyd are to rock as Miles standards are to jazz, they are all over the place, creeping into the output of many bands one way or the other.  Queensryche's Silent Lucidity is a definite Floyd-inspired case.  Especially the "Hush now don't you cry" verse evokes Mother.  In the case of bands not listed on PA, Tears for Fears were surely influenced by Floyd.  I could literally go on and on.    And this is only with respect to their more popular Gilmour/Waters 70s epoch.  Piper..and Saucerful...are also immensely influential albums, especially so on the Krautrock sub genre of prog.  Doors was also great source material but I would be surprised if Floyd weren't a source. Ah, remembered one more. What about Eloy's Ocean album?  When I heard it last, which is so long ago that I can no longer recall vividly,  I found it almost too Floyd-like to persist. 

Eloy were indeed very Floydian sounding right through to Planets and Time To Turn. Much better drums and bass thoughWink
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:34
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Airbag have very obvious Floydian soundscapes, and when they then slap a Gilmour solo on the piece, it gets to be even more in your face methinks.

That band is hilarious for how obvious they want to sound like PF. Cringe-worthy. 
I thought they were a tribute band. I guess they moved up a bit. LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 18:14
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^ Cool to see you around Micky

Heart

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

And thank you so much for one more great reference that I just happen to read here in the PA Forum: Tom Brislin! God Damned ! How I wish I was there at that NJ Proghouse !...

He's been there the last two years, and absolute sweetheart of a man and an amazing talent.  I'm sure he'll be back next year. If you can make it, look for me (the strangely out place 'beast' hanging with a ravishing Italian beauty) and I'll buy first round and by the time we're finished we'll serenade Necromonkey with calls for an ELP encore hahah
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 18:59
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

And thank you so much for one more great reference that I just happen to read here in the PA Forum: Tom Brislin! God Damned ! How I wish I was there at that NJ Proghouse !...

He's been there the last two years, and absolute sweetheart of a man and an amazing talent.  I'm sure he'll be back next year. If you can make it, look for me (the strangely out place 'beast' hanging with a ravishing Italian beauty) and I'll buy first round and by the time we're finished we'll serenade Necromonkey with calls for an ELP encore hahah

Thank you again micky, and for sure it would be a great pleasure to meet you, I'll be there! Oh yeah, I will be there!

P.S.: Necromonkey - don't know this song, I will have to improvise hahahah...

Edited by Rick Robson - October 22 2014 at 19:01

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 19:11

Thank you again micky, and for sure it would be a great pleasure to meet you, I'll be there! Oh yeah, I will be there!

awesome!!  Keep an eye out for tickets and reserve the hotel early,  I suspect next year will near a full house. Everyone (bands and people like us from out of town) stays at the same hotel so that is a a nice social aspect but it is close to NYC and the freeway so can book up quickly.

As far as Necromonkey. A band.  Awesome stuff man.  Let me plug my wife again. She loves that!!

http://progmistress.com/2014/05/07/necromonkey-a-glimpse-of-possible-endings-2014/

You'll love them. We saw them at Progday, close enough it seemed to reach out and touch them as they played. Very intimate setting and the NJ Proghouse is perhaps even moreso.  Plus it is a good excuse to meet Mathias if you have not. Especially if one isn't particularly shy. Or even if, as I am in real life.  Another really sweet and approachable person to shoot the bull with. It is amazing and great to see how genuinely nice and approachable these musicians are. Raff and I have actually become quite close to a number we first met online then cemented in face to face.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 19:40

awesome!!  Keep an eye out for tickets and reserve the hotel early,  I suspect next year will near a full house. Everyone (bands and people like us from out of town) stays at the same hotel so that is a a nice social aspect but it is close to NYC and the freeway so can book up quickly.

As far as Necromonkey. A band.  Awesome stuff man.  Let me plug my wife again. She loves that!!

http://progmistress.com/2014/05/07/necromonkey-a-glimpse-of-possible-endings-2014/

You'll love them. We saw them at Progday, close enough it seemed to reach out and touch them as they played. Very intimate setting and the NJ Proghouse is perhaps even moreso.  Plus it is a good excuse to meet Mathias if you have not. Especially if one isn't particularly shy. Or even if, as I am in real life.  Another really sweet and approachable person to shoot the bull with. It is amazing and great to see how genuinely nice and approachable these musicians are. Raff and I have actually become quite close to a number we first met online then cemented in face to face.

It would be awesome indeed! I'm already fancing just one year earlier... well so I hope because of my 'holy' vacations next year, it would be fantastic!, btw it would be my very first time there, in NJ and NYC, really nice to know the details micky.

Thanks for the link! I'll check their music out as soon as I can, glad to know that about Mathias, it speaks great for a musician and I think it should always be an inherent characteristic of the GREAT musicians.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 19:51
I'll be around, unless I buy it of course or Raff finally gets tired of my bullsh*t and sticks with that knife she always threatens me with (gotta love Italians!) haha, but the organizers are very good about putting out the information. It has been the Columbus Day weekend the last two years and am quite sure it will be again next year.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 21:11

^Nice post, I agree. But I have worked with many guitarists over the years who owe at least part of their style and tone to Gilmour and their band's share none of Floyds attributes. Case in point, Dream Theater. Petrucci can also copy styles and tones from guitarists as diverse as Brian May and actually has done a May copy on the Six Degrees album. Now, does Dream Theater sound like Queen because Petrucci can imitate Brian May?

Duh, Gilmour IS a vital part of Floyd.  I don't get your logic.  Whatever Gilmour did on his solo albums also flows from his work with Floyd, so they are not mutually exclusive. I haven't checked that May influence on Petrucci but I wouldn't rule out Queen as an influence on DT.  DT have covered both Queen and Floyd, apart from DP, Rainbow, Iron Maiden.  I think that is a good indication of whether or not those are among their influences.  I wouldn't doubt that those bands influenced them. Surely, some of the greatest 70s rock bands influenced a modern metal band that carried on in the ambitious 70s vein of rock (as opposed to punk minimalism)?
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 01:05
Influence... I'd say KC have more influence on artists (Indukti, Masfel spring to my mind but there are many more). Floyd influenced artists (to the point of near copying (Mostly Autumn and another whose name I forget but tried reconstituting Echoes slavishly) and of course, the the tribute bands), slightly more appropriately there is The Orb. The Beatles have their influence as well for song writing detail and laying the groundwork for ELO to complete but in their own way.

I do like it when influence has had it's impression but artists such as Riverside take things to a more original level. Something many bands find hard with a Zeppelin influence - it's either Zeppelin-ish or not. Led Zep cornered their market while The Beatles opened theirs up...

P.S. Re the P Tree thing - it's based around Sky Moves Sideways. He said as PF were no longer doing albums like that (WYWH) he would. And did. And, apparently, regretted it. Perhaps their might be an artistic parallel between Sunday Of Life and Piper; mainly based on unique songs based around lyricists whose impact with either band was limited to each others' early days only.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 11:35
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Duh, Gilmour IS a vital part of Floyd.  I don't get your logic.  Whatever Gilmour did on his solo albums also flows from his work with Floyd, so they are not mutually exclusive. I haven't checked that May influence on Petrucci but I wouldn't rule out Queen as an influence on DT.  DT have covered both Queen and Floyd, apart from DP, Rainbow, Iron Maiden.  I think that is a good indication of whether or not those are among their influences.  I wouldn't doubt that those bands influenced them. Surely, some of the greatest 70s rock bands influenced a modern metal band that carried on in the ambitious 70s vein of rock (as opposed to punk minimalism)?
Duh, to you too my friend. If Floyd has one indelible influence on Progressive Music it's that it got people in the early seventies that never listened to other prog groups to open up and start listening to other prog groups like KC and Yes. That is their most important influence as far as I'm concerned. I have a pretty good ear for indentifying influences and copies and I do not listen to early Marillion and think 'oh, that's Floyd'. When I listen to Rothery's early guitar leads, then I think 'oh, Gilmour'. It's as simple as that. Listen to some of your favorite prog bands and let me know if you have musical flash backs to albums like Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH, Animals or the Wall. I have all the time in the world.

Edited by SteveG - October 23 2014 at 11:39
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 11:44
^^^  So when you hear the riffs of Slayer's Black Magic, do you say Sabbath-like or just Iommi-like?  Come on, it makes no sense to compartmentalise it like that when Gilmour was one of the important members of the band and as the guitarist and one of its lead singers, a defining component of their sound and style.  Actually I did provide examples of so called musical flashbacks, even naming specific tracks, if you cared at all to read.  But be that as it may, you cannot separate Gilmour's influence as a guitarist from that of Floyd because he found his own voice with Floyd in the first place.  Had he already been a star in his right and walked in for a few albums to make a mark, it would be a different issue.  But Gilmour was as much Floyd as Waters, Wright or Mason.  That the name Gilmour rather than Floyd comes to your mind is only a mark of his popularity.  But his popularity, clearly, was only attained as a part of a larger outfit.  Outside of it, he wasn't nearly as influential.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 11:52
^Negative. I will state again that there are many  guitarists that I know who have obvious influences that does not reflect on their band's music. That's the whole point. Band's generally want to have their own originality. The exception to this was the Neo onslaught of the mid eighties and there are no Neo prog band's that I feel are worth the time of day except for Marillion who was able to transcend their Genesis cloning.

You are free to experience music your way and I'm free to experience it my way and I've never been the worse for it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 20:24

I'll be around, unless I buy it of course or Raff finally gets tired of my bullsh*t and sticks with that knife she always threatens me with (gotta love Italians!) haha, but the organizers are very good about putting out the information. It has been the Columbus Day weekend the last two years and am quite sure it will be again next year.

Shocked Mamma mia... hahah , I know pretty well what you are talking about, my mother is italian's daughter.Embarrassed 

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 21:46

^Negative. I will state again that there are many  guitarists that I know who have obvious influences that does not reflect on their band's music. That's the whole point. Band's generally want to have their own originality. The exception to this was the Neo onslaught of the mid eighties and there are no Neo prog band's that I feel are worth the time of day except for Marillion who was able to transcend their Genesis cloning.

You are free to experience music your way and I'm free to experience it my way and I've never been the worse for it.

Oh yes, each to his own and all that.  Fine.  What I don't get is just because Mr.Steve doesn't think so, one of the most influential bands in rock music did not influence more than a couple of bands?  The band with some of the most iconic rock albums does not have enough originality for other bands to derive from it?  You have to really make a stronger case than that to back up your statement before you clam up.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>