Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnd Then There Were Three: Genesis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: And Then There Were Three: Genesis
    Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:14
What's your take on this so called "transitional" album by Genesis. It's one of my favs and I think it gets a bad rap by Genesis fans. It was one of the last few they did with producer David Hentschel and I almost consider him part of the band for the great production work he did on this album.

Edited by SteveG - October 22 2014 at 15:35
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:22
It is an excellent album, one that I still love listening to with that wall of sound.

It was not, btw, the final Henschel album.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:23
One of my very favorite Genesis albums. Doesn't deserve the hate it recieves. It has a very special atmosphere to it that it creates.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:27
I like it quite a bit.  I think about half of the songs are spectacular; but the other half are fairly forgettable.  There's very little middle ground for me.   The ones I love are Down and Out, Undertow, Ballad of Big, Burning Rope, Deep in the Motherlode, and The Lady Lies.  Snowbound is ok.  The others not so much.

Definitely a transitional album, as you say.  It sounds a lot like Wind and Wuthering, but without the winding song structures - even the long tracks are fairly straightforward verse/chorus/middle 8 songs.  It sounds closer to Wind than to Duke, though, with its dense keyboard atmosphere.  I think Phil didn't really find his true voice until Duke; on ...Three he still sounds a little thin and buried in the mix.

Conclusion - I return to this album more than most Genesis albums, but just for those 6 or so songs I really enjoy.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:36
The hatred came mainly from disappointed hard core Genesis fans and musicians during the 70's. It was a pretty harsh reaction during that time, but I liked the album and especially enjoyed the tracks Holy Moly mentioned. Not a bad effort at all considering the 3 of them taking on the heavy load of responsibility that keeps a band together in this world due to the on going departure of important members. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:42
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It is an excellent album, one that I still love listening to with that wall of sound.

Forgot about Duke, Laz. Thanks for the correction.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:52
And to think if they released "The Lady Lies" instead of "Follow You, Follow Me" as a single it probably would have reversed all the fortunes they built up in the 80's!
"Down And Out" is one of the best opening songs on an album they've had, and sounds like it could have gone on "The Lamb Lies Down In Broadway" had Peter allowed other members to write songs for that.
They didn't, we know what happened, and what we got was a more important "We're still Genesis album" than "A Trick Of The Tail". But the later has the more consistent track record of great songs.
"And The There Were Three", when it's good it's killer Genesis material. And when it's bad it's not a disaster but patience testing.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

What's your take on this so called "transitional" album by Genesis. It's one of my favs and I think it gets a bad rap by Genesis fans. It was one of the last they did with producer David Hentschel and I almost consider him part of the band for the great production work he did on this album.

It's an awesome album. Tony's keyboard lines are stellar. I prefer Phil's voice to Peter's (heresy, I know). The album constitutes what I call "melodic prog" for the time. It isn't quite symph, and it certainly isn't AOR, but it has a great crossover* appeal.

*Crossover prog? Haha. Wink
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 12:29
One of my top favorite Genesis albums, probably my favorite after Selling England By The Pound.
Great songs, intensity, great sound, wonderful lyrics, and I love the Hipgnosis album art.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 12:33
All above posts cover my feelings on the album.....I enjoy that one and spin it regularly.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 13:11
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

One of my very favorite Genesis albums. Doesn't deserve the hate it recieves. It has a very special atmosphere to it that it creates.
100% agree. I love this "Special Atmosphere" . Good point. Thumbs Up
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 14:35

That is a key element for me.

Its an album that has that intensity and an impressive tightness in everything presented. Not a hair out of place. I can understand why some may find it claustrophobic compared to earlier Genesis albums. Nothing really 'flies' in the old traditional style of prog. Genesis took note of trends and crafted a modern (for its time) prog record that could be played on the radio. Crossover prog is not a bad description as previously mentioned.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 14:49
An excellent album. Certainly up there in my top five Genesis albums. It was the first Genesis I heard end to end, and although I wasn't keen on Snowbound and Follow you follow me, I have grown to like them.

As for Down & Out, Undertow, Burning Rope and Motherlode they are some of the best songs they ever wrote imo.

Solid 4.5 stars. 5 if you ask me when I'm on a real nostalgia trip..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 14:59
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

That is a key element for me.

Its an album that has that intensity and an impressive tightness in everything presented. Not a hair out of place. I can understand why some may find it claustrophobic compared to earlier Genesis albums. Nothing really 'flies' in the old traditional style of prog. Genesis took note of trends and crafted a modern (for its time) prog record that could be played on the radio. Crossover prog is not a bad description as previously mentioned.

Yes Richard, I couldn't agree more with Laz on his 'Wall of Sound' description. I just gave the album another spin and the production really nails everything together. Superb.
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:24
Ok, I'll be that guy. The album seems to have a very mushy quality that I'm just not crazy about.  It's easy for it to fall into the background and sometimes I lose track of where one song ends and the next begins. It's still undeniably a good album, but I haven't been able to enjoy more than a surface-level appreciation of it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:29
^There's nothing wrong with being 'that guy'. I appreciate honest opinions. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:41
I haven't heard it that much but it hasn't grabbed me so far. I prefer Duke.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:55
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

An excellent album. Certainly up there in my top five Genesis albums. It was the first Genesis I heard end to end, and although I wasn't keen on Snowbound and Follow you follow me, I have grown to like them.

As for Down & Out, Undertow, Burning Rope and Motherlode they are some of the best songs they ever wrote imo.

Solid 4.5 stars. 5 if you ask me when I'm on a real nostalgia trip..

Right on... And Then There Were Three - that is indeed a REAL nostalgia trip... and some of those so catchy melodies bring me also kind of melancholic feelings.

I remember like if it was today that it was the only LP I often put that my sister also listened to without trying to put louder her music (George Benson, The Bolshoi, Spandau Ballet, etc.) at those times...

Edited by Rick Robson - October 22 2014 at 15:56

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 22:23
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

What's your take on this so called "transitional" album by Genesis. It's one of my favs and I think it gets a bad rap by Genesis fans. It was one of the last they did with producer David Hentschel and I almost consider him part of the band for the great production work he did on this album.

It's an awesome album. Tony's keyboard lines are stellar. I prefer Phil's voice to Peter's (heresy, I know). The album constitutes what I call "melodic prog" for the time. It isn't quite symph, and it certainly isn't AOR, but it has a great crossover* appeal.

*Crossover prog? Haha. Wink

Yeah, I have always liked Phil's singing much better than Gabriel's... actually, I have never been able to understand the great praise Gabriel gets as a singer. However, about the album, I also like it well enough... at least I like a lot about half of the songs (I guess mainly the ones that have been mentioned before), the others I don't care so much about. I love how much keyboard oriented it sounds, and it kind of reminds me of ELP because of the keyboard led power trio thing.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 00:43
Solid 4 star album. Just because the songs were shorter, doesn't necessarily mean they weren't Prog. The band condensed longer form potential (what we like, and a strong trait of what generally defines Prog) into catchy shorter pieces doesn't mean that it screams 'sell-out'.... I love this album for sure. Such energy.........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>