Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnd Then There Were Three: Genesis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 01:04
all the post say everything I`d have said, Holy Molly song list is spot on...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 01:05
5 star epic.....Genesis kept delivering again and again. There is a paradox to the album, cold and warm. Tightly woven, perfect production. True compressed sound on a vinyl, umm songwriting magic. Down and Out and Deep In The Motherlode standouts but I can still groove to Scene's from a Night's DreamApprove
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 03:19
Moved to 'featured albums'.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 09:06
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

Ok, I'll be that guy. The album seems to have a very mushy quality that I'm just not crazy about.  It's easy for it to fall into the background and sometimes I lose track of where one song ends and the next begins. It's still undeniably a good album, but I haven't been able to enjoy more than a surface-level appreciation of it.

^That makes two of us....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 09:44
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

Ok, I'll be that guy. The album seems to have a very mushy quality that I'm just not crazy about.  It's easy for it to fall into the background and sometimes I lose track of where one song ends and the next begins. It's still undeniably a good album, but I haven't been able to enjoy more than a surface-level appreciation of it.

^That makes two of us....

I'm bad too. I recall that I and a bunch of friends were desperate to hear a suitable follow up to Wind and Wuthering. We resorted to skipping through tracks to find something we'd like and over time....we ended up appreciating what we originally felt lacked in the spirit of progressive Genesis. Now that 30 some years has passed, I don't mind the album as much...huh???? We changed our opinion only to a degree
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 15:41
Except for The Lady Lies and The Ballad of Big, this is forgettable.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 21:36
I do hate ATTWT. Not simply because it's a departure from Prog, but it's not even good Pop music in my mind. Duke and Abacab were vast improvements by Pop standards. I would easily prefer From Genesis to Revelation to ATTWT.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 02:37
I don't believe it was a departure from prog unless you are a stickler for prog albums that must have tracks that are at least 8 minutes. If so then Gentle Giant need to be cleared off the site immediately and Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is 'pop'. I just think they were hedging their bets a bit as they also did on Duke until the punk storm blew over and they could concentrate on doing exactly what they wanted to do - pop. Genesis To Revelation is something else altogether -'sixties pop'. I can't see much connection between those albums at all.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 06:48
I must admit I don't play this one often but I do still enjoy it. It may have been a departure but grandeur was still an element. The pop leanings just made the songs a bit more infectious. When I first heard it I was only familiar with Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and W&W. I found it different but didn't feel like my old Genesis had lost its way. Later on, with a more critical ear, the differences became more apparent but didn't diminish my enjoyment of the music.
Vic333 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 09:06
"Forgettable" is my review of ATTWT. "Down and Out" starts out strong and mighty, "Follow You, Follow Me" is a good ending. Everything in the middle, I just cannot get into. 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 06:58
I really like the dramaticness and dynamics of "say its alltight joe", such a cool song that ebs and flow from dusk-til-dawn feel.
catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 08:47
I think ATTW3 is good, if perhaps a bit patchy. I prefer both it's chronological predecessor (Wind and Wuthering) and successor (Duke) as album statements.

Favorite tracks:
Undertow
Ballad of Big
Deep in the Motherlode
The Lady Lies

Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 08:52
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

And to think if they released "The Lady Lies" instead of "Follow You, Follow Me" as a single it probably would have reversed all the fortunes they built up in the 80's!
"Down And Out" is one of the best opening songs on an album they've had, and sounds like it could have gone on "The Lamb Lies Down In Broadway" had Peter allowed other members to write songs for that. They didn't, we know what happened, and what we got was a more important "We're still Genesis album" than "A Trick Of The Tail". But the later has the more consistent track record of great songs.
"And The There Were Three", when it's good it's killer Genesis material. And when it's bad it's not a disaster but patience testing.
I assume that you are just talking about the lyrics on the Lamb (which Peter wrote most of)?

Because I am sure you must know that everyone except Peter wrote most of the music for The Lamb, except for Carpet Crawl and The Chamber of 32 Doors.

You seemed to be perpetuating the myth that Peter wrote all the lyrics AND music for The Lamb which he obviously didn't.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 16:49
...ever since this thread started, "Burning Rope" has turned into my brainworm!!  

A very nice song, but not when it plays over & over in my mind!!  Disapprove

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2014 at 08:07
^ A dangerous brainworm indeed LOL
ATTWT is one of my favorite albums by them, it was actually my first album by them I bought, and then worked my way backwards. 

Down and Out is a fantastic song and a great one to open the album with.  The Lady Lies is another great song off of the album.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2014 at 08:27
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

I assume that you are just talking about the lyrics on the Lamb (which Peter wrote most of)?

Because I am sure you must know that everyone except Peter wrote most of the music for The Lamb, except for Carpet Crawl and The Chamber of 32 Doors.

You seemed to be perpetuating the myth that Peter wrote all the lyrics AND music for The Lamb which he obviously didn't.

Sorry, yeah the lyrics! My bad. Confused
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 13:34
My favorite post-Peter Genesis album....well, that and Wind but I like that album 'cause Steve plays his ass off....and you can actually hear him in places instead of Banks doodling all over his solos (or Banks having Steve play with effects to make the guitar sound more like a keyboard.....Banks kills a lot of Genesis stuff for me.....but Banks is the hero on ATTWT - paradox!).

Edited by Intruder - November 05 2014 at 13:35
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 14:25
I don't understand all the hate this album gets either especially by those who say they love W&W and ATOTT. For me it's just a continuation of those two but in a shorter song format. The dreamy lush keyboard sound is still there. I think where they dropped the ball is Abacab which has some awkward sounding tracks mixed in with a few really good ones but still probably the most inconsistent album they put out up to that point. ATTWT on the hand is very consistent and I like every track on it(of course some more than others).
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 17:50
This album was new when I first got into Genesis.  I think it has some cheesy songs, but I still like it.  I remember Follow You Follow Me getting airplay and I liked it before I became a full blown Genesis fan.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 07:47
I ignored this album when it was first released. Other than Follow You Follow Me, I never heard anything from the album played on radio. A few months ago, I went back and started listening to it. First impression is the noticeable absence of Steve Hackett's guitar riffs. Once I got past that, I started to like most of the songs. It is still Genesis but a bit thinner than previous issues. After a few months in my usual listening rotation, this album has risen in stature considerably in my eyes.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>