Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Prog Acoustic Guitarists.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 10:10
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

i am shocked that Ian Anderson had not got more mentions...i think he is one of the finest (or maybe was one of the finest) acoustic guitarists in any genre, inventive, distinctive voice, and just remarkable.

The first show I saw back in 1973 was for 'Tull's A Passion Play, and Anderson played a good amount of acoustic guitar among other instruments. He was an amazing strummer and held his own with Martin Barre in spots.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 05:08
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

i am shocked that Ian Anderson had not got more mentions...i think he is one of the finest (or maybe was one of the finest) acoustic guitarists in any genre, inventive, distinctive voice, and just remarkable.

Yeah Anderson was good but IMHO Martin Barre is/was better.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 05:23
Oh Bert Jansch and John Renbourn are in the upper echelon of acoustic guitarists.

Bert was more a self taught genius. He'd make minor mistakes in his live playing but he literally attacked his guitar and most of his playing was jaw dropping.

Renbourn on the other hand was an acoustic guitarist who strove for perfection and went out of his way to study intricate playing styles i.e. going to university at the height of his career to learn how to play different forms of acoustic  guitar music. He plays acoustic guitar as if he is shelling peas....too easy!!!

Renbourn's best is The Nine Maidens, which is a 13 minute piece that comprises the tunes  Clarsach, The Nine Maidens and The Fiddler. Oh it is soooo good.

Edited by BarryGlibb - October 31 2014 at 05:27
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 06:42
I'm excited about so many great ones to check out here, but so far I give a plus to Steve Hackett for being the most classical influenced prog acoustic guitarist I ever listened to.

Ah! Of course classical is by far my favourite influence in Prog! It's just a matter of taste.

Edited by Rick Robson - October 31 2014 at 18:22

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 12:41
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Oh Bert Jansch and John Renbourn are in the upper echelon of acoustic guitarists.

Bert was more a self taught genius. He'd make minor mistakes in his live playing but he literally attacked his guitar and most of his playing was jaw dropping.

Renbourn on the other hand was an acoustic guitarist who strove for perfection and went out of his way to study intricate playing styles i.e. going to university at the height of his career to learn how to play different forms of acoustic  guitar music. He plays acoustic guitar as if he is shelling peas....too easy!!!

Renbourn's best is The Nine Maidens, which is a 13 minute piece that comprises the tunes  Clarsach, The Nine Maidens and The Fiddler. Oh it is soooo good.

If your under the duo's spell, I suggest you check out Michael Chapman's first album titled Rainmaker and his some of his late 80's output. He is the equal to both of the above, IMHO.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 17:58
Will do Steve.  Thanks for the tip.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12