Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSonja Kristina Vs Annie Haslam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which female prog singer do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [18.60%]
33 [76.74%]
2 [4.65%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 10:51
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Seeing as there is the 'other' option, I thought it was fair play to show a clip of the aforementioned Diamanda Galas. Talk about range - and not only that, a will to stretch her own vocal chords to the edge of torture. This clip floors me every time - for quite different reasons no less. Captured on the Jon Stewart show waaay back in 1994 you get to see Diamanda with legendary Zep bass man John Paul Jones performing a tune off the joint venture they'd just recorded. The performance is earth-shattering, literally. 
It blows my mind each and every time - mostly because the music is sooooo experimental and mad for an American mainstream tv show, but perhaps even moreso because the musicians know this.....and then purposely take it up a notchLOL
Man I would do anything to have been a guest at that show (I was 12 at the time and had already purchased my first Samla Mammas Manna album, so I was no stranger to music with a twist of the bizarre.)

Very entertaining performance with a great demonstration of vocal prowess. She's a female Mike Patton for sure.  Like Patton, she never does anything for me emotionally but it, intentionally or otherwise, sounds funny enough in a weird way that I still enjoy it.  

I imagine that's how it is for most. The vast majority though runs screaming for the hills.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 10:53
lol, I can't even imagine what unsuspecting regular mainstream-listening folk must have made of it.  
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 11:00
My thoughts exactly. Oh well, they do get two of their favourite things with that performance: something familiar in the rock legend of John Paul Jones and of course sex with Diamanda's crazy SM outfitTongue
The rest probably scared the living daylights out of them.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 11:03
To my Asian ears, a lot of it actually sounded very Arabic/Oriental, though mixed with some harsh portions.  She didn't get out her full death metal voice LOL in that set, that would have really caused some jaws to drop.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 11:07
That's actually what I fell for in the first place. She has that same kind of omni-influence as Lisa Gerard has. Asian, Middle-Eastern, South American you name em. I've always looked at her as an Anarchistic and infinitely more provocative version of Lisa.

- Douglas Adams
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 11:21
I love them both, but Annie Haslam's voice is perfection.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 11:59
Haslam
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 15:29
Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

I'll take Haslam Annie day.

Yes, Annie day Smile, me too
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 15:41

Seeing as there is the 'other' option, I thought it was fair play to show a clip of the aforementioned Diamanda Galas. Talk about range - and not only that, a will to stretch her own vocal chords to the edge of torture. This clip floors me every time - for quite different reasons no less. Captured on the Jon Stewart show waaay back in 1994 you get to see Diamanda with legendary Zep bass man John Paul Jones performing a tune off the joint venture they'd just recorded. The performance is earth-shattering, literally. 
It blows my mind each and every time - mostly because the music is sooooo experimental and mad for an American mainstream tv show, but perhaps even moreso because the musicians know this.....and then purposely take it up a notchLOL
Man I would do anything to have been a guest at that show (I was 12 at the time and had already purchased my first Samla Mammas Manna album, so I was no stranger to music with a twist of the bizarre.)

Wild stuff. Incredible voice. I love the bass/drum groove.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 15:43
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

I'll take Haslam Annie day.

Yes, Annie day Smile, me too

Another vote for lady day... er... Annie. no contest.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 19:55

Cannot help you about the show from which you linked that Curved Air performance as I am not that clued into their work.  Prefer Haslam by far.  Also agree about Touching Once at Albert Hall.  But she also gave some incredible performances of Ashes are Burning, especially from the late 70s onwards.  There's the one at Chicago in 1983 that probably every Renaissance fan knows of.  But music vault allow you to view this great performance from a 1979 concert.  Audio/video are both pretty dire.  But the vocal pyrotechnics at esp the 18 1/2 minute mark are incredible.  

It's being now quite impossible for me to check out, thanks to my bad internet connection at the moment, but hopefully later.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 19:59
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

...............if I could, I would vote for the amazing Christina Booth..........
.........whom incorporates the best traits of both these gorgeous Prog angels.............

I'd already listened to her performance in some Magenta tracks, and enjoyed it especially on the track 'Envy'. By the way I'm suprised no one mentioned here another one: the female singer of Mostly Autumn - was she Heather Findlay or Angela Gordon?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 20:03
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

But for me it's Sonja by quite a long way. She is a one-off talent that has no comparison or equal and few imitators. There is a certain indescribable essence and character to her voice that I find more interesting and more appealing. Unlike Renaissance, Curved Air didn't adapt their sound to fit Sonja, she adapted her voice to fit the music they were playing, which was a lot harder and louder and required a voice that could rise above the music rather than fit neatly in it.

Right on, I'm with you on this, and needless to say that I definitely love her timbre! Thanks for these links Dean, I found her 1980 track a pretty romantic tune. I'm sure that some day I get to be in England, Sonja will be the first one I'll be looking forward to meet Tongue

About Annie I get your point, and am going to check out Jane Relf. But I agree with what was said here that Annie sings like a prog angel, even though sometimes it seems as well for me too that they adapted their sound to better fit the timbre of her voice.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 20:06

To my Asian ears, a lot of it actually sounded very Arabic/Oriental, though mixed with some harsh portions.  She didn't get out her full death metal voice LOL in that set, that would have really caused some jaws to drop.

Same on here, but I think also that if she did get her full metal voice and put on more rythmic speed she would have really caused some Judas Priest fans to drop LOL... just joking

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 22:49
Aforesaid Ashes are burning performance on youtube.

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 23:46
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Annie
+1.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 23 2014 at 23:46
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 06:35

That's actually what I fell for in the first place. She has that same kind of omni-influence as Lisa Gerard has. Asian, Middle-Eastern, South American you name em. I've always looked at her as an Anarchistic and infinitely more provocative version of Lisa.
I got Dagmar Krause meets Mauricia Platon, with a Middle-Eastern spin !! JPJ is amazing on the bass too. Definitely interesting.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 06:48
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I got Dagmar Krause meets Mauricia Platon, with a Middle-Eastern spin !! JPJ is amazing on the bass too. Definitely interesting.

LOL
The album they did together does come across more palatable. Well maybe it's the condition of that Jootoob clip too that adds to the slightly 'grating' expression the music has. On this baby
there's absolutely none of thatBig smile Perfectly recorded and JPJ is in great form delivering some of his most 'awkward' bass lines to date. They zoom on perfectly though and don't ever feel forced or convoluted. Sign of a great musician: the ability to adapt to every new thing being flung at you and still maintain something that unequivocally screams it's YOU who's playing.

- Douglas Adams
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 12:04
Haslam, but Kristina certainly didn't lack for looks. I just wonder what happened to the latter; is she now a housewife outside of 29 Palms, Calif. with a rug full of kids and all.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 12:53
Annie, of course.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>