Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSonja Kristina Vs Annie Haslam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which female prog singer do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [18.60%]
33 [76.74%]
2 [4.65%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 15:18
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Haslam, but Kristina certainly didn't lack for looks. I just wonder what happened to the latter; is she now a housewife outside of 29 Palms, Calif. with a rug full of kids and all.
Nope ... I think. She still carries on with the band.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 18:24
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

...............if I could, I would vote for the amazing Christina Booth..........
.........whom incorporates the best traits of both these gorgeous Prog angels.............

I'd already listened to her performance in some Magenta tracks, and enjoyed it especially on the track 'Envy'. By the way I'm suprised no one mentioned here another one: the female singer of Mostly Autumn - was she Heather Findlay or Angela Gordon?

'tis Heather.
.....and Christina is just beautiful, so beautiful.....
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 20:45
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Haslam, but Kristina certainly didn't lack for looks. I just wonder what happened to the latter; is she now a housewife outside of 29 Palms, Calif. with a rug full of kids and all.
Nope ... I think. She still carries on with the band.

Ha ha ha.  Seriously, why would somebody irreverent enough to be the singer of a prog rock band and a band like Curved Air at that want to just settle down and breed like rabbits.  LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 06:16
Sonja was involved with Stuart Copeland for quite some time (lucky bugger.....).
She already had a child when she hooked-up with Curved Air (hence, I believe, the piece 'Young Mother' was inspired by....). This means little, as I'm sure Sonja would make make a fine parent, and follow her musical career with no problems.......
Marie Antoinette and Elfin Boy are just gorgeous............
.........and I love Running Hard, Mother Russia, A Trip To The Fair, Okichi San, Flight .......etc.....
......and more recently, Christina from Magenta.
..........but my dream-gal will always be Grace Slick (circa-67/68) - both for voice and looks (coz I'm a male......)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 16:04
Wasn't Sonja Kristina in the British stage production of Hair before Curved Air? Perfect grounding for prog in some respects.
Darryl Way met Francis Monkman in a record shop and they decided to form a band later inviting Kristina to join. There was a lot of record company hype surrounding them apparently.
That's the sum total of my Curved Air knowledge.Embarrassed

Tom, I've seen Christina and Magenta play live about 4 times. I first saw them at the London Astoria at a weekend prog festival just before Seven was released. They were the opening band and people were gradually funnelling into the venue so it wasn't ideal for them. I wandered in and immediately made eye contact with Christina as there probably only about 50 people there at that point. I was hooked by her and the music which was captivating. BTW you should check out her very nice solo album which is better than most recent Magenta albums imo.

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 17:29
HASLAM 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 17:35
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Wasn't Sonja Kristina in the British stage production of Hair before Curved Air? Perfect grounding for prog in some respects.
Darryl Way met Francis Monkman in a record shop and they decided to form a band later inviting Kristina to join. There was a lot of record company hype surrounding them apparently.

Tom, I've seen Christina and Magenta play live about 4 times. I first saw them at the London Astoria at a weekend prog festival just before Seven was released. They were the opening band and people were gradually funnelling into the venue so it wasn't ideal for them. I wandered in and immediately made eye contact with Christina as there probably only about 50 people there at that point. I was hooked by her and the music which was captivating. BTW you should check out her very nice solo album which is better than most recent Magenta albums imo.

Wow !! 4 times.......I'm so jealous - love her voice, love the music, and of course, she's hot. I've been told by Aussie Byrd (Michael) that her solo is a must. So I've got some Prog shopping to do.....
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 20:32

Right on Richard, this is what I just read on Wikipedia:

"In 1968, Kristina auditioned for and won the part of "Crissy" in the London stage production of the stage musical Hair. She features on the original cast album singing the song "Frank Mills", also released as a single. She also briefly sang with The Strawbs, following the departure of Sandy Denny."

I find stunning that she is still gigging at the age of 65!

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 21:36
Yeah...so does Annie actually.  There are at least a fair few prog rock greats from the 70s who have aged well.  More so in the case of these second tier bands whose members did not enjoy the massive lifestyle that the likes of ELP probably did in their prime.  
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 21:52
........could never see Annie making her way down to the end of a whiskey bottle, nor toking on a spliff......of course shell be healthy as. Sonja was probably a rebel in her early days, but she's come through it all in tact.
Grace Slick is another matter entirely........painting her white rabbits whilst sitting on her ass......
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 05:46
Sonia Kristina's unique voice seems a little underappreciated. It blends in like magic with the other instruments. Annie's great too but there's also a lot of too precious Julie Andrews kind of singing that doesn't always work as well in rock.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 08:43

Sonja had a bit more of a punk thing going while Annie is a prog angel. I love both although Sonja is the one I would have liked to meetWink

That was pretty much what I was going to say..!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 08:46
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Sonja had a bit more of a punk thing going while Annie is a prog angel. I love both although Sonja is the one I would have liked to meetWink

That was pretty much what I was going to say..!

pretty much my thoughts on it.  I'll take naughty over nice any of the week and twice on Sunday!

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 15:02
Joanne Hogg. 
Elaine di Falco. 
Carolina Prieto. 
Anneke van Giersbergen. 
Petronella Nettermalm. 

I love Annie but when I want to console my soul these are the voices I want to hear.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 15:14
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Joanne Hogg. 
Elaine di Falco. 
Carolina Prieto. 
Anneke van Giersbergen. 
Petronella Nettermalm. 

I love Annie but when I want to console my soul these are the voices I want to hear.

Good call on Elaine Di FalcoClap. Her performance on Empty Days' self-titled album is nothing short of sublime. Joanne Hogg also has a great voice, though Iona's music does not exactly float my boat. Anyway, if you want to treat your ears to something fantastic, give a listen to Ut Gret's marvellous Ancestor's Tale (released in the first half of this year), with Cheyenne Mize's career-defining performance. And, of course, both albums by MoeTar. Moorea Dickason is a true force of nature!

That being said, I like Sonja Kristina for her charisma, but voice-wise Annie is clearly superior, and her voice has also held up very well. Renaissance's classic albums make for a very rewarding listening experience, especially when one is in need of a break from more demanding fare.
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 13:01

Annie Haslam.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123