Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Use of Prog in Film

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 01:52
Rick Wakeman provided the musical score to the '81 horror slasher classic The Burning, and likewise for Crimes of Passion, G'ole! and Lisztomania.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 02:07
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

As I already mentioned some bands who are listed in Prog Archives as prog related acts as well, I'd like to mention also Iron Maiden in Phenomena (1985), the horror film by already mentioned Italian director Dario Argento.
Oh and there is also Goblin in the same movie Wink

Claudio Simonetti provided "Phenomena" as a solo artist, while four instrumentals by Goblin (which consisted only of Simonetti and Fabio Pignatelli at that moment) were used. Interestingly, Pignatelli got sole composer credit for "Jennifer," which is probably the best track.

On the same soundtrack is a nice moody instrumental called "Valley" by the duo of Terry Taylor and Bill Wyman — yes, that Bill Wyman! Wyman also recorded the mostly instrumental soundtrack for the 1981 film Green Ice.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 09:08
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Rick Wakeman provided the musical score to the '81 horror slasher classic The Burning, and likewise for Crimes of Passion, G'ole! and Lisztomania.

He also composed the score for White Rock, a film documentary of the 1976 Winter Olympics.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 12:15
^^^I knew I forgot something!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 10:30
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I don't think this falls under' best use' of prog in a film, but Keith Emerson composed the scores to the flowing films. I only saw one and it was not note worthy as I recall.
  • Nighthawks
  • Best Revenge
  • Inferno
  • La Chiesa
  • Mudrerock
  • Harmagedon
  • Godzilla Final Wars

I think it's safe to assume that the last movie was made in Japan.

So it's not the Shakespearean tragedy?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 13:18

Hi,

Wish I had my stuff available to me at work, so I can see a bit more.

I can't help thinking of things like "West Side Story", that at the time was immensely progressive, as was "Porgy and Bess". These helped define the "musical" into something that was much stronger musically than just a bunch of songs with some kind of story.  Also valuable, and out of this world, if you have never seen it, check out "All That Jazz", where all the music and dancing came together, almost in an insulting way, to state that musicals were the crap, compared to real music. AND real dancing!

Europe also had some that did very interesting things. Carlos Saura developed a bunch of dancing films that were really hard to deal with. His series of novels off the Spanish writer, was crazy, and a total ... wow ... what is that? ... and his "Carmen" is a twist on the story, with the old dance against the new dance instead ... which is fabulous, specially with great lines like "... you dance with your eyes, not your ass!". A few years later he did a visual insanity called "Tango", which was just a nice tribute to a dance that is not done anymore.

Sally Potter, also did a film called "The Tango Lesson" that is also very good about dance and helps define it even better, and what it takes for any person to dance it.

While "dance", is not exactly "progressive" in the same way we talk here about music, the presentational style of these above is so strong, that it borders on the same principals that we define "progressive music", and deserves some consideration. In particular, are the Bob Fosse, Carlos Saura and Sally Potter works, which have a way of trying to define the dancing as a part of the person, or only through the "self" can the dance come true and be strong.

Edited by moshkito - October 31 2014 at 13:26
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 13:42
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Wish I had my stuff available to me at work, so I can see a bit more.

I can't help thinking of things like "West Side Story", that at the time was immensely progressive, as was "Porgy and Bess". These helped define the "musical" into something that was much stronger musically than just a bunch of songs with some kind of story.  Also valuable, and out of this world, if you have never seen it, check out "All That Jazz", where all the music and dancing came together, almost in an insulting way, to state that musicals were the crap, compared to real music. AND real dancing!

Europe also had some that did very interesting things. Carlos Saura developed a bunch of dancing films that were really hard to deal with. His series of novels off the Spanish writer, was crazy, and a total ... wow ... what is that? ... and his "Carmen" is a twist on the story, with the old dance against the new dance instead ... which is fabulous, specially with great lines like "... you dance with your eyes, not your ass!". A few years later he did a visual insanity called "Tango", which was just a nice tribute to a dance that is not done anymore.

Sally Potter, also did a film called "The Tango Lesson" that is also very good about dance and helps define it even better, and what it takes for any person to dance it.

While "dance", is not exactly "progressive" in the same way we talk here about music, the presentational style of these above is so strong, that it borders on the same principals that we define "progressive music", and deserves some consideration. In particular, are the Bob Fosse, Carlos Saura and Sally Potter works, which have a way of trying to define the dancing as a part of the person, or only through the "self" can the dance come true and be strong.

Check, please!
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 19:24
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The Thief with James Caan perhaps? I remember watching that one feeling the music really added to the overall picture.

This is the first one that came to mind for me, as well. 

I'm not sure if these count but some of Ryuichi Sakamoto's work in film as well as Clint Mansell have made movies so much better for me. 

Popul Vuh must be mentioned, too. 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 11:15
Wow, nobody's going to reference this? I know a lot of people hate it (Bornemann is not involved), but I quite like it.

luminati View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2014 at 07:49
clearly Goblin in the dario argento's masterpiece "profondo rosso"...
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2014 at 13:03
Mr Townshend was rewrited whole Tommy and from that pretty flat 60s album, he created a proggy soundtrack so majestically that have to be mentioned here.

JAE (RIP) play some of his bass lines from 5:15 in this superb track. 
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2014 at 13:11

American Psycho

Phil Collins and Genesis.Approve
Help me I'm falling!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 18:01
I am a big horror film guy, so Dario Argento's SUSPIRIA gets the nod because the amazing GOBLIN provided a hauntingly entertaining score. The music really helped bring out the true character of the film mainly because the score was like its own character!! Bloody amazing. Literally.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Engine View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 18:17
Not really prog...but  as original and un classifiable as hell !.

The FALL. " Hip priest ' 

played in the background in the cellar climax scene  in 'Silence of the Lambs '  Hug You can hardly hear it...but take it out and the scene dies !

.Must  vote for  the earlier reccommendation of Nosfaratu aswell though
. The waterfall scenes are awesome  !!! 

Edited by Engine - November 05 2014 at 18:22
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 19:25
" I Love You Man" -Paul Rudd, Jason Siegel

Rush - Limelight, Tom Sawyer :-)
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 22:34
I fell in love with David Bowie when I saw Labyrinth many, many years ago, ok he is considered more glam rock or whatever I don't care, I purchased Spacy Oddity, The Man Who Sold The World, Honky Dory, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane remastered version and Diamond Dogs :) xxxxx oh and Low too :)
He is the sexiest man alive. Sigh ApproveHeartHug 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 22:38
Another example in regards to this topic would be Vangelis with Conquest of Paradise 1492 and Chariots of Fire :) Hug
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 23:45
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Another example in regards to this topic would be Vangelis with Conquest of Paradise 1492 and Chariots of Fire :) Hug

Clap and Antarctica. 

Tangerine Dream did some great soundtracks for film too, Thief, Sorcerer a couple that spring to mind. Of course Pink Floyd's La Vallie and More. I am sure mentioned already..
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 23:52
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Clap and Antarctica. 

Tangerine Dream did some great soundtracks for film too, Thief, Sorcerer a couple that spring to mind. Of course Pink Floyd's La Vallie and More. I am sure mentioned already..

Chris! Hug Yes and among other Floyd you mentioned above, The Wall is a biggie, ha! Big smileThumbs Up  yes, jaja yup, sim, si, ahum yeah ha! Big hug Hug and just coz it's Floyd this cute piggy seems appropriate too Pig xxx
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 00:09

Don't forget Bladerunner. Wink 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>