Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Use of Prog in Film

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 06:21
The Sweeney (Yes I know it's not a film) had the end of  'Fracture' as the music for a chase scene! Exhilarating...
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 06:49
If Zabriskie Point is a film, and Pink Floyd is prog, then we have one entry already. I especially like the music when stuff explodes :)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 06:52
Explosions can be beautiful...... especially if you're somewhere else.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 07:11
Blade Runner's soundtrack from Vangelis
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 08:27
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Buffalo 66: Yes - Heart of the sunrise

Yes HOTSR

Yes this
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 12:57
Rush is all over "I love you, man" and even makes an appearance. But my favorite is the use of Watermelon in Easter Hay for the closing credits of "Y Tu Mama Tambien"

Almost forgot Tull's Fat Man in "Boogie Nights".

Edited by Tapfret - October 25 2014 at 12:59
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 13:12
Post-rock band Explosions in the Sky provided much of the soundtrack for the recent film Lone Survivor, which I highly recommend.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 16:51

Rush in "I love you man." What's cool is they shot the band live for the movie(or at least it seemed that way).

Buffalo 66 which included two YES ("heart of the sunrise" and "sweetness") and one King Crimson ("moonchild").

Children of Men was good too but they chopped it off about three minutes before the end of the track. What's the  point of playing only 3/4 of the song.

I honestly can't think of many other examples other than a few movies that featured YES' "I've seen all good people."

Edited by Prog_Traveller - October 25 2014 at 16:52
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 16:56
Possibly stretching the definition of prog here a bit but I am pretty sure I heard Uriah Heep's "traveler in time" in either a movie or tv show sometime in the past year but can't remember exactly where. I searched on the internet and came up blank. :( I am pretty sure it was sci fi or sci fi ish though.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - October 25 2014 at 16:58
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 20:41
[QUOTE=Tapfret]Rush is all over "I love you, man" and even makes an appearance. But my favorite is the use of Watermelon in Easter Hay for the closing credits of "Y Tu Mama Tambien"

Great choice--great film--I own the DVD and forgot about that! 
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 20:50
At Heavy Metal (1981) the film soundtrack, there are songs Veteran of The Psychic Wars by Blue Oyster Cult, Open Arms by Journey and The Mob Rules (alternate version) by Black Sabbath.

Edited by Svetonio - October 25 2014 at 20:50
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 02:09
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Buffalo 66: Yes - Heart of the sunrise

Yes HOTSR

Excellent choice good sir!

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 02:10
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Possibly stretching the definition of prog here a bit but I am pretty sure I heard Uriah Heep's "traveler in time" in either a movie or tv show sometime in the past year but can't remember exactly where. I searched on the internet and came up blank. :( I am pretty sure it was sci fi or sci fi ish though.

That sounds like the BBC series Life on Mars about a modern day cop who gets sent back to 1973. They had Traveller in Time and a lot of other Heep (and Atomic Rooster) on the soundtrack. There's a list of what was played here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_on_Mars_(UK_TV_series). Great show!
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 10:33

Nicholas Roeg/Don Cammell
Werner Herzog
Vangelis (Oscar)
Barbet Schroeder
Francis Ford Coppola
Ryuichi Sakamoto (Oscar)

Mike Oldfield

The best is not always visible, but there are some very good ones.

My personal favorite will always be Nicholas Roeg that used music all over his films, and it was stupendous and beautifully defined and designed. You can start with "Performance" to see what Nich did and he was the first "mtv" styled person to do videos as this one was shot mostly in 1967 and early 1968. You have all seen the video for "Memo From Turner", and if you haven't, look it up.  Also see the film "BAD TIMING" so you can see how Keith Jarrett (Koln Concert) and The Who (Who Are You) are used in the film ... totally astounding imagery to it, better than MTV ever was.

Werner Herzog was only "progressive" in that his actors did exactly the same thing that the musicians did in "krautrock". No one else could direct Klaus Kinski. And it was totally free form with the music around it, as the main thread of the whole scene. "The Wrath of God" is probably the best done of these examples, from the early opening sequence to the ending sequence. And check out how Herzog used the side 2 of that LP on the end sequence.  It will change your listening to it next time!

Vangelis needs no introduction, although the film maker for "Blade Runner" has a stunning list of films that he used music, including Tangerine Dream, and used it very well and to some very poetic effect. Please remember that he has a huge number of soundtracks and was doing them before he became famous. His "Oscar" is for "Chariots of the Gods".

Barbet Schroeder started out with two films, both with music by Pink Floyd. The sad part is that "MORE" is a vastly superior film to "LA VALLEE", in that the situation that the music is used makes sense ... the girl plays the music on her cassette recorder and we hear it as she is tripping, and other moments in the film. The "reality" of that is magnificent, but we're so screwed up with the fantasy side of film that the music used externally, to supposedly augment the visual is what soundtracks have become. As such, in so many ways, the second film is really poor ... a few nice moments of music over a nice cloudy visual and a trip or two amidst the New Guinea indians.

Francis Ford Coppola is NOT known for using music, but "Apocaliptyc Now" is his only film worthy of discussion and how the music was inter-related to the film. And moments like Wagner and other things are grand, but the rest of the usage of the music is symbolic and not really a part of the film. Compare this to Nicholas Roeg, and his use of The Who's "Who Are You" in the film "Bad Timing". It shows a massive difference between something solid, and something idealistic.

Ryuichi Sakamoto has dome music for many films, most of which all of you have never seen, I bet! (Hehehe!!!) He won an Oscar for Bertolucci's "The Last Emperor" along with David Byrne, and get this ... Ryuichi did the western music and David did the Eastern music! Now, that is more progressive than most of the things mentioned here!

Mike Oldfield did the soundtrack for "The Killing Fields". I do not remember how well the music was used, but he got a lot of credit for it.

Lastly, I still think that Prince's Purple Rain, is one of the best rock movies ever made, because the music is not a soundtrack ... it's the story ... all of it ... and that is a rarity in film, when things are "real" instead of just a song, supposedly making a moment better than otherwise. The blending of all music into the story is magnificent and brilliantly written all the way to the end.

In general, the use of "progressive" music in film is not really a good idea, and most of the stuff used has been nothing but just songs.

Edited by moshkito - December 19 2014 at 12:10
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 11:04
Alas it seems we really do struggle to find a tenuous link between Progressive Rock and film soundtracks. A genre that is ripe for the picking does appear to be woefully overlooked by film-producers, even those at the arty-farty, navel-gazey end of the spectrum wouldst seem to avoid epic majesty of Prog in favour of some less intrusive fare, even to play-out as the end credits roll. And perhaps that is the problem, when the music is aurally wide-screen cinematic there is little or no room for it up there on the silver screen.

What we get is almost tokenism if I were to be cynical, we clutch at straws... a bit of Can and Peter Gabriel in Wim Wenders Until the End of the World or the contrived re-writing of Careful With That Axe for the final scene in Antonioni's Zabriskie Point (try as hard as you can to like it, the music and imagery doesn't actually fit as well as it could or should or is supposed).

Edited by Dean - October 26 2014 at 11:05
What?
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 11:20
Tangerine dreams soundtrack for sorcerer is amazing.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 12:39
Nine Inch Nails in Se7en (opening credits)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 17:37
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

a bit of Can ...

Thank you ... on Jerzy Skolimowski's film "Deep End" Can was in the night club playing "Mother Sky" ... but the band was never seen at all. The film was a visual delight and masterpiece, and its main actress was Jane Asher ... yep ... that Asher!

Antonioni's use of the music of Pink Floyd, and many others in Zabriskie Point, appears to be weird and off its rocker, with Roger stating that he was so wishy washy and weird that they gave up. But the issue might have been that the money that went into the film forced a change of the story and everything else, and Antonioni even said once that he wish he had scrapped the whole thing! He didn't like the political comentary that the film became, when he was trying to remain neutral in all his films ... and just keep them "personal". How accurate all this is? ... who knows?

Some others (as I remember them!):
Bitter Sugar - Cuba: Little known film that went around the film festivals had some outstanding music that sounded quite progressive to me, and long cuts too! I did not have a chance to hear the lyrics or much more, seeing it at a film festival and not being able to stop things to check better.

Journey of Hope: The film won an Oscar and featured Jan Garbarek and Terje Rypdal (from Eventyr and Eos) to an astounding visual effect. It was utterly well defined and used and the music fits. The film is about the plight of the Kurds trying to get to Europe.

UPDATE:
Got the "Deep End" CD and watched it and there is a nice write up in the music and how CAN is used in that film, and how at least two different parts of the music are actually used in the film. A bit technical, but yes, it was nicely done, and obvious that the director knew the music!

Edited by moshkito - March 02 2015 at 15:16
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 17:48
Ladies and gentleman I give you the winner in this category...for best use of prog in film.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 17:52
Jurgen Fritz wrote and recorded the soundtrack to the German/Russian science fiction film "Hard To Be A God". Definitely a progressive piece of music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>