Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDuke: Genesis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duke: Genesis
    Posted: October 24 2014 at 16:22
An AOR album to me. The proggier parts sound forced. Not quite pure pop yet, but not satisfying either. What's your opinion of Duke?

Edited by SteveG - October 25 2014 at 11:15
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 16:45
Similar to my feeling about the prior album.  The songs I love, I really love, and the songs I don't, I almost always skip.  Most of them are good to great, though.  

Turn it on Again is a brilliant complex pop song.  I tried learning it on guitar and couldn't get the chords right. Not that I'm any guitar pro, but still, pretty unusual chords for such a song.  It must have been written on piano.

Behind the Lines, especially the first instrumental half of it, is such a great opener too.  I've seen concerts where they open with that song too, and it's great in that setting as well.

Songs I skip:  Heathaze, Alone Tonight, Cul de Sac, and sometimes Please Don't Ask.  the rest are awesome.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 19:22
Yet another Genesis classic...what an album, great wall of sound with some brilliant Genesis pop too. Yes they still had another few years of consistent output.....Star tracks - Duchess, Behind The Lines, Heathaze +++
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 20:54
Its got some great songs, complex and some simple pop songs....but I don't care, its Genesis and they are brilliant!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 21:00
Meh.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 21:02
I absolutely, positively hated Misunderstanding, it really was some kind of mistake.  I always felt that if you slapped the proggier bits together as one log track and put they poppier stuff together it would have made for a better album.  But it is what is.  I have a copy of the LP that was autographed at this long defunct chain record store in Atlanta called Turtles.  Saw them live of course.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 02:26
I made the comment about ATTWT that it didn't 'fly'. Duke does especially on Duke Travels and Behind The Lines. This is real full on prog nothing AOR about it imo. I also like Misunderstanding as much as I like Your Own Special Way , Many To Many and That's All. Genesis could write very nice romantic songs and I have no problem with that. Duke also has one of Genesis most underrated songs thats hardly ever talked about Man Of Our Times. My only issue with Duke is that it seems to fall into a hole with a few tracks on side two like Please Dont Ask that would have been better placed on a Phil Collins solo album and doesn't feel like proper Genesis to me but nevertheless this is the last Genesis album I can take seriously before they deliberately changed direction and embraced a post seventies approach.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 03:03
Very good album. Some very high points, Dukes Travels etc, and some desperately low points: Misunderstanding, Please don't ask.

Misunderstanding is among the worst songs they wever wrote. It's boring, listless, unimaginative, dull, insipid, uninspired and weak sounding. No wonder it was such a big (s)hit...
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 05:17
One of the finest albums ever recorded, an absolute classic.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 15:59
I love Behind The Lines, Duchess, Guide Vocal, Heathaze, Please Don't Ask, Duke's Travels and Duke's End
I like Heathaze, Man Of Our Times and Misunderstanding
I think Cul De Sac is okay
Not too keen on Turn It On Again
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 03:15
A bit patchy in places... definitely not AOR (Genesis mostly never treaded there, even in the 80s) but the Banks compositions save it for me. All the tracks are good barring Please Don't Ask and Alone Tonight. Please Don't Ask isn't a bad song... but just doesn't sound much like Genesis. Alone Tonight is such a weak song by Mike, after three wonderful love ballads on the previous albums. Duke Suite doesn't do much for me... used to love it.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 11:27
This album upon the first week of it's release...totally disappointed my life as a musician who took music very seriously. It was actually a very wholesome commercial effort and "I mean that!" Genesis were writing Pop songs and I believe they were interesting enough to add in progressive hooks/signature lines within those Pop songs...without taking away from the commercial sound. You've got to give them credit for that, because it is not easy my friends to write a Pop song and create all the right trimmings.

The year the album was released, one crowd of people utterly hated the existence of it and did nothing but laugh at it. The other crowd appreciated it. This was crazy to live through. Genesis were huge and influential to all the brilliant musicians I traveled the road with for years and so they just raised hell over Duke as if it were something to take away from their talent. They took it personally like a knife in the back. The personal insight I'm giving here reflects the attitude of the current mix of people who are Genesis fans. At the Genesis show in Philadelphia, (perhaps 5 years ago?), The older crowd would head for the door when Genesis played the 80's material. They would stand outside and smoke cigars, cigs/ and whatever else. Then when Genesis played the older material, the 80's fans got bored and proceeded to do the same thing...they went outside to relieve themselves of musical torture. These 2 extreme groups of fans developed their dislike for each others personal vision of Genesis around the time Duke was released.

It wasn't as if Genesis were totally cheesy? I remember decent guitarists struggling with the center instrumental bit in "Abacab"..so they would come to me and ask if I'd quickly learn it and teach them. I couldn't help myself because I was dragged down by extensive road travel , so I asked: "If this music is commercial garbage that has no value, then why do you find it challenging to play?" Both of these Genesis crowds were borderline insanity and very extreme reactions to a band whose decisions they could do nothing about. Duke started a war.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 12:41
FYI: I heard songs from this album sandwiched between Styx and Boston songs on the radio and nothing sounded out of the ordinary to me. Now that's AOR!! LOL
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 13:23
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

FYI: I heard songs from this album sandwiched between Styx and Boston songs on the radio and nothing sounded out of the ordinary to me. Now that's AOR!! LOL

LOL...just saying someone who plays an advance style on keys will still have to focus on retaining the Tony Banks keyboard parts. Duke is "Top 40" , but that has little to do with learning Tony Banks' keyboard parts which sometimes are a headache. The songs on Duke seem ridiculous to many of us, but to musicians..they have a better view from being on top of a high rise , (so to speak), and it's clear to many of us that those progressive parts written in the Genesis Pop songs were masked by the cornball melodies and dance beats. Tony Banks is a perfectionist and actually many of the songs on the commercial Genesis albums take some work to learn, retain, and perform live.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 13:26
^I agree Todd. Banks is an excellent keyboardist but so is Geoff Downs. Does this scenario sound familiar? LOL
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 13:27

^I agree Todd. Banks is an excellent keyboardist but so is Geoff Downs. Does this scenario sound familiar? LOL

Very.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 09:10

An AOR album to me. The proggier parts sound forced. Not quite pure pop yet, but not satisfying either. What's your opinion of Duke?

That about sums it up for me  and I don't play anything after Wind these days. I do hear the pop hits from the later albums on the radio and that suffices.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 10:20
I think it's their best album after the Hackett era.

Best tracks: Duke's Travels/Duke's End, Duchess, Cul de Sac, Guide Vocal.
Lowpoint: Misunderstanding.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 14:19
This was the first Genesis album I bought right when it was released ("Wind and Wuthering" made it to our house as a new release but it was my sister's purchase). I absolutely loved it at the time and affection remained for many years. The bloom fell of off the rose a bit about a decade ago, when I started to really dig into prog again. It still holds a special place in my heart but honestly I rarely play it.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 14:27
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

LOL...just saying someone who plays an advance style on keys will still have to focus on retaining the Tony Banks keyboard parts. Duke is "Top 40" , but that has little to do with learning Tony Banks' keyboard parts which sometimes are a headache. The songs on Duke seem ridiculous to many of us, but to musicians..they have a better view from being on top of a high rise , (so to speak), and it's clear to many of us that those progressive parts written in the Genesis Pop songs were masked by the cornball melodies and dance beats. Tony Banks is a perfectionist and actually many of the songs on the commercial Genesis albums take some work to learn, retain, and perform live.
Good point.  As I mentioned above, the guitar part for "Turn it On Again" has some strange chord voicings that don't lend themselves to standard neck movement.  Maybe it's a piece of cake for experienced players, but if that's the case, then I'm further down the guitar ladder than I thought.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>