Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 18:27
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I saw the other day some new TT models from Audio-Technica with great design, somewhere between the SL1200 and modern categories. Wink

Yes the popular one is the AT-LP120 USB model, excellent value for an entry level table. It has all the features of a $1K table. It has a built in phono amp so its basically plug and play, or you can bypass it and use your own. Plus it spins at all 3 speeds, it performs above price point, you can also digitize your vinyl with it.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 17:29
I saw the other day some new TT models from Audio-Technica with great design, somewhere between the SL1200 and modern categories. Wink

Edited by Meltdowner - October 25 2014 at 17:30
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 17:03
Skipping the first picture...too vintage for me LOL.

I always liked the look of the Technics SL1200 models and all those variations. The strobe platter, strobe light and other versions had the pop up cueing light. The S shaped tonearm and just the look was very "techy" and said "I sound damn good!" Those were work horses and proven by the DJs and scratch artists, Technics were the sought after tables.
I always just had a problem with the aluminum platter...the "ping" noise.

The newer designed TT that are a bit more eye-candy while incorporating a lot of sound dampening designs, now catch my eye...and ear.

For sure a TT is a visual pc of gear and should have some aesthetic value, it moves and grooves...it should look good. And yes that Music Hall mmf-11.1 is my dream table at the moment, not custom, its a production table just top of the line for MH, made in Czechoslovakia, same factory that makes Pro-ject tables.

I am saving all my pennies and mowing my neighbors lawns for extra cash....Big smile 
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 16:05
Folks,

Speaking of the looks only, and without delving into tech details and practicalities: what kind of (relatively) mass-produced record players pleases your eyes the most?

• The good stuff from the early stereo era, like e.g. this phonograph?

• Or the elegant Japanese turntable designs of the 1970s, some of which have carried the SL1200’s DNA well into the 21st century?

• Or the more hi-tech-looking specimens from the same period?

• Or those modern and decidedly hip tables that seem to appeal not only to the millennials, but also to many vinyl old-timers? Catcher10 recommended that I use this pic as an example, although it looks more like a one-off, custom-made machine. But, you get the gist, right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234