Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGavin Harrison Vs Mike Portnoy!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Gavin Harrison Vs Mike Portnoy!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
30 [73.17%]
7 [17.07%]
4 [9.76%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 13:24
Camembert or Brie, they're both the same to me.......
Love both of their styles equally, up there with the best.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 18:28
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Harrison is very accomplished.

I like Portnoy on Neal Morse's solo albums best but he can be a bit 'samey' to my ears.

I agree...I think Portnoy's playing of the past couple years with NM has been fantastic. Seeing him live on both T2 and Momentum Tours was fantastic, Portnoy was playing with such passion..he was having fun you could tell.
Versus the last tour with DT-BC&SL he looked bored and lifeless. The samey to me is what Portnoy is doing with Transatlantic.

I'd love to have seen those Morse shows and agree about Transatlantic. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 01:53
^ A bit off-topic, but what really surprises me time and again with Transatlantic, is Pete Trewavas bass playing. He is mostly excellent in Marillion, but bumps it up so much in TA. The guy is phenomenal.
Portnoy is great of course, but his performance usually goes through all the 'tricks-of-the-trade' so to speak. Harrison must adapt and texturise (?) his playing to fit much of the music of PT. Heck, back in a Renaissance performance when Gav was pimply faced, he pulled off their material with an ease of professionalism. He even appeared on Neil's (The Young Ones) hippy throw-back 'Heavy Concept' album, along with many Canterbury stalwarts, including Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin, Pip Pyle, Jimmy Hastings etc. Harrison does have more experience. Still, love what they do.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 05:27
both great drummers, however Portnoy has a prolific perfect beat and stop tease pause, plus he is a showman. My vote goes to Portnoy. All you need to think about is liquid tension experiment and transatlantic! Ha! Perfect!Thumbs UpApproveHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 05:33
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Camembert or Brie, they're both the same to me.......
Love both of their styles equally, up there with the best.

hahaha Tom, I know what you mean with Brie above, yes the singer at times is off key at times even I squint my eyes and cringe knowing that it's coming ;) I still like him a lot tho' hahaha!! LOL hugs Hug
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 06:52
Some of these polls are truly torture.........
It's like comparing Dave Stewart to Rick Wakeman.   Both are of insane talent, yet, with the amazing talent involved, one may just leave rather untouched.. ...        l/yd /.

Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 12:19
I agree with Tom Ozric! Trewavas' bass playing with Transatlantic is fantastic!! I think it is time Marillion threw us a curve ball and did a very complex and difficult album. They're stuck in second gear the last few albums IMO.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 15:44
I was so impressed with Pete's playing on the TA-Kaleidoscope Tour in February, he is brilliant with Marillion no doubt. But more comes out with TA stuff recently....Even while loosing his monitors about half way thru the show in February, he still kept up without losing a beat.
He did not admit to the crowd and band till much later that he lost his monitors...I think Portnoy was shocked.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 16:24
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

To be rude: Harrison plays the drums; Portnoy beats them. 

I think that Mike had to leave Dream Theater to learn what "drumming" was!

When you see his doing his thing with Transatlantic and Jon Anderson, you will see a much more disciplined and caring drummer, than an megalomaniac behind so many drums simply trying to do his Bozzio imitation and doing so very badly!

However, Mike's other work, helping DT become what it did, is immense, and burning that much energy is insane for most of us!

I'm actually hoping that Mike begs Robert Fripp to let him come along hit all the triangles and any other worthless percussion, so he can help 3 drummers sound even BIGGER and BETTER!

Edited by moshkito - October 31 2014 at 16:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 11:42
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

To be rude: Harrison plays the drums; Portnoy beats them. 

I think that Mike had to leave Dream Theater to learn what "drumming" was!

When you see his doing his thing with Transatlantic and Jon Anderson, you will see a much more disciplined and caring drummer, than an megalomaniac behind so many drums simply trying to do his Bozzio imitation and doing so very badly!

However, Mike's other work, helping DT become what it did, is immense, and burning that much energy is insane for most of us!

I'm actually hoping that Mike begs Robert Fripp to let him come along hit all the triangles and any other worthless percussion, so he can help 3 drummers sound even BIGGER and BETTER!

I agree with the first three points.

I LOL at the last one.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2014 at 04:09
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

I believe (IMO) it would be easyer for Portnoy to do a Porcupine Three gig as a drummer then it would be for Gavin to do a Dream Theater gig as a drummer, while both are steller drummers, Mike is bit better at variation in dubble bass peddal work, and Gavin has stated that, that is hes least "good" techniquem, though he mangaed it very well for my view, hes dubble pedal work is quite cool.       
On the contrary to what Gavin stated, I listened to Fear Of A Blank Planet today and his double pedal work is friggin' insane !!! Just makes me think that Metallica's Lars Ulrich can be quite sloppy in comparison. Some of the stuff Portnoy does sounds inhuman......

Edited by Tom Ozric - November 02 2014 at 04:11
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2014 at 10:49
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Harrison is very accomplished.

I like Portnoy on Neal Morse's solo albums best but he can be a bit 'samey' to my ears.

I agree...I think Portnoy's playing of the past couple years with NM has been fantastic. Seeing him live on both T2 and Momentum Tours was fantastic, Portnoy was playing with such passion..he was having fun you could tell.
Versus the last tour with DT-BC&SL he looked bored and lifeless. The samey to me is what Portnoy is doing with Transatlantic.

I've always joked that the only thing that will make Mike a better drummer is if we smash the snare drum over his head and make him wear it as a scarf! He might have to learn to use all the hardware he has that he never uses!

Same for Peart for that matter!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 21:43

Gavin Harrison.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12