Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRushFan4's New CD Thread 12-Algabas-

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: RushFan4's New CD Thread 12-Algabas-
    Posted: October 28 2014 at 16:05
Time for thread number 12 of my meager attempt to divert Forum attention away from the usual suspects of Genesis, Yes, Porcupine Tree and the like.  This one has free listening available so hopefully it will gain some traction.  This time I would like to share the newer, lesser known prog music band Alagabas with the PA community.
Here is a link to the album's PA page. http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9010

Algabas is a heavy prog band from Russia.  Algabas is sure to appeal to those of us who enjoy neo progressive rock in a heavy prog vein. They released their debut album Angels and Demons in 2013. 

The album can be streamed or downloaded for free from their Band Camp site. http://algabas.bandcamp.com/

There are currently 5 reviews and another 6 ratings without reviews, so some of you have heard this album, and will hopefully participate in this thread to discuss your likes and dislikes regarding this album.  If you haven't heard this album please click on the above bandcamp link and give it a shot that stop by and let us know what you think.  I look forward to what I hope will be an interesting discussion.

In case you are interested, and missed the previous 11 installments of the new CD discussion thread, please check them out here at these links as I am more that happy to go back to these threads and further discuss them with anyone who is interested.  Pretty sure that many of them or locked from inactivity, but I am sure that our friendly neighborhood admins would be happy to unlock them for anyone who wishes to discuss an album further. Big smile

Knifeworld - Buried Alone: Tales of Crushing Defeat -  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62529&PID=3457937#3457937

I should note that for those who frown about these things, I am not a representative of any of these bands.  I do not get paid to endorse them.  The Algabas album came to my attention about a month ago and I have enjoyed listening to it.  Obviously, I can't guarantee that anyone else will like these albums since it is all a matter of taste, but I have a feeling that there are some of you out there who will. LOL 

I should also mention that although I am a Collaborator here at PA, this thread and recommendation is made entirely independently of my duties as a PA collaborator.

Edited by rushfan4 - December 05 2014 at 16:27
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 17:03
I have bookmarked the band's Bandcamp page, and will listen to the album ASAP. In fact, I am always looking for new music for this very nice weekly feature (the brainchild of Andy Read, a fellow DPRP reviewer) by the name of Something for the Weekend? (http://weekendprog.blogspot.fr/) that gives exposure to bands and artists who put up their music for streaming.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 18:23
Very interesting album, I just posted a review on the same. I particularly like this "theatrical" atmosphere that the keyboards give
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 07:10
I just read your review and agree with it.  It is an interesting album with some rough edges.  I'm generally not a fan of non-English singing, but I think that I have adapted to it a little bit better over the years.  The vocals being in Russian is a bit of a distraction for me but I think it will appeal to those proggers out there who prefer that musicians sing in their native language.  I think that it is very solid musically.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2014 at 13:57
I listened to this one again this morning at the gym.  It was good workout music.  I am curious to the meaning behind any of the songs.  Since they are sung in Russian I have no idea what they are going on about.  It occurred to me this morning while I was listening to it that the singer's voice and tone somewhat reminded me of Fish; but not of Peter Gabriel. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 15:42
Bump.  Kind of sad that I got so few takers this time around.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 16:03
Hold on there Scott. I'm in! Let me give it a listen and I'll comment.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 16:16
Scott - I got this from the band, enjoy reading Wink

Angels and Demons At the edge there are no borders In this book there are no pages But my angel will dot the i's and cross the t's The sly demon near the gates twists his haughty mouth But my angel doesn’t remember The evil formula The Angel trumpets sharp or flat There is salt on the lips And there is sol on the keyboard* There are 7 numbers in the sky And there are 7 senses of the word Where is your Apocalypse? We are reading a book of books But the multitude is spiting into the well, From which a prophet was drinking, Turning ice into a wine We are weeping near the Wall We want no war But if there was any sense Out of our drunken prayers The Angel trumpets sharp or flat There is salt on the lips And there is sol on the Bible There are 3 winds over the sea There are 5 senses in the stone Where is your Apocalypse? The say Noah was drunken And the Ark is self-delusion But my Angel doesn’t remember The ice formula They say we will see a comet coming Over the year But my Angel doesn’t believe The newspapers The Angel trumpet sharp or flat There is salt on the lips And there is sol in the symbols There are 3 suns over the sky There are the end of sky over the sea Where is your Apocalypse?

*N.B. Words "salt" and "sol" have the same pronunciation and spelling in Russian.

Galilei My space twin has explored 3 Galaxies But he cannot drink all over the night My space brother is not a pirate And not Pilate He wouldn’t be able to thread a needle Galilei! Break your telescope and the Day will come Galilei! It’s minus 127 centigrade in the dark sky Galilei! We pump oil out of earth Galilei! It’s minus 126 centigrade in the dark sky My space neighbor is not cadging cigarettes He wade in the ocean My space ideal knows how the world is organized But he cannot shut me up Galilei! It is snowing on the Planet of the Apes… Galilei! It’s not clear who is a man of us...

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 16:20
Interesting. It's pretty but with a heavy edge. This is going to take more time.

Edit:

Whoa, just read the stuff from the band and all I have to say is, okayyy....  Confused

Edited by bhikkhu - November 20 2014 at 16:22
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 16:36
Almost as clear as trying to understand Russian.  LOL  I imagine something gets lost a bit in the translation. 
 Post Reply Post Reply