Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat are you looking for in an album review?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you looking for in an album review?
    Posted: October 30 2014 at 10:40
Albums reviews are the raison d'etre for the existence of PA. What specifically are you looking or would like to see in album reviews? For me, I'm looking for some musical example based on other groups or the reviewed group's previous albums and their diversions as well as sound quality of the recorded material. Again, what do you want to see in album review. And if what you want is actually presented at times, please say so.

Edited by SteveG - October 30 2014 at 11:13
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 11:04
I try to write reviews that give the information I want to see - a little knowledge of music itself and the artist, the aspects of the album that resonates with me and those that don't of course, but most especially why they do or do not.  A mere expression of an opinion is boring to read but one that explains itself is interesting.  Creativity and humor is also a plus.  As an avid reader of books I also like to see good writing.  A good review gets beyond the surface and maybe even says a little bit about the writer in the process.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 11:19
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Albums reviews are the raison d'etre for the existence of PA. What specifically are you looking or would like to see in album reviews? For me, I'm looking for some musical example based on other groups or the reviewed group's previous albums and their diversions as well as sound quality of the recorded material. Again, what do you want to see in album review. And if what you want is actually presented at times, please say so.

I agree. While broad categorizations are helpful (e.g., I'm not a big neo prog fan so tend to avoid groups listed as neo prog), in addition to a broad overview of the offering, group and contents, I tend to find the most helpful information to be comparisons to other groups, or statements to the effect of "if you like xxxx, or xxxx you might like this." This is the information that will tend to drive me to listening to a new offering or new group.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 13:51
I like to provide the following information with the hopes that it gives the reader enough of a basis to at least understand in general terms the pros and cons of an album. I absolute loath track by track reviews.

-Full Disclosure (My experience with a band or genre)
-Production (How the recording sounds)
-Song Writing (Strength of Composition)
-Originality (Self explanitory)
-Performance (Strength of musical ability)
-General Impressions (Summary of album as a whole)
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 14:07
Personally, I always look for a review by a bloke living in Cymru named Lazland. Intelligent, knowing, witty, pithy, yet also approachable, warm, and, above all, bloody sexy.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 14:19
^Well done, old chap. LOL
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 14:19
I am not a big fan of very extended reviews. 
I like short reviews that 'lay the goods on the table', so to say.
The ones that can say in one or two paragraphs what is good and/or not good about an album. 
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 14:21
I find that the ones I like the most for albums I've never heard are those that break down the album track-by-track, and maybe rate each track specifically. Then I'll head over to Youtube, and check out one or two of the highest rated tracks. If I like the album, I'll purchase.
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 15:14
I want the author to convince me to listen to the album myself, or on the flip to warn me away from a waste of time.  Style, verbosity and eloquence are all optional.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 15:34
Hear, hear.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 15:39
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

I want the author to convince me to listen to the album myself, or on the flip to warn me away from a waste of time.  Style, verbosity and eloquence are all optional.
I appreciate your answer Clem, but what would the author need to write in order to convince you to listen to the album? Or not?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 16:35
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Personally, I always look for a review by a bloke living in Cymru named Lazland. Intelligent, knowing, witty, pithy, yet also approachable, warm, and, above all, bloody sexy.

hahaha!!!!!! LOL But true, indeed he is damn sexy plus his reviews are very articulate and insightful!Approve
Hug 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 16:49

Good point Steve,
For the prospect buyer to know how a new band or album/track sounds like, the reference to other known songs and similar sounding bands is key, genre classification alone is not sufficient because the one reading the review cannot hear thus visually has understand how it might sound. Writing a review is a skill, the reviewer first and foremost has to be articulate and use his words to evoke one's senses. For me personally a blend description of songs is not enough to peak my interest in teerms to read further, the creative imagination of the reviewer enabling to take me into a magical musical journey is what grabs and impresses me most :) I hereby too can feel and experience what the reviewer might or is feeling at the time he wrote it while listening to the moozik Big smile
Hugs xxx    
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 16:52

LOL
Good one

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 16:53
The omitting of the word "eclectic."
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 17:42
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

The omitting of the word "eclectic."

the omission of the words proggy and progginess..  I can tell better than anyone what is prog and what is not.. just tell me what is good and not so good about an album.  I can make up my own mind as to any prog quotient people seem to attach such importance to.  Who cares, a good album is a good album, prog or not.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 17:49
^I think it depends on the circumstance, micky. I'm not really interested in the 'progginess' of music per se. However, I reviewed an album once where I thought the band was making too much of an effort to sound progressive and the result was phoney sounding to me. That was the only time I think I used the word progressive in a review.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 17:51
Micky? You're alive!
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 17:54

^I think it depends on the circumstance, micky. I'm not really interested in the 'progginess' of music per se. However, I reviewed an album once where I thought the band was making too much of an effort to sound progressive and the result was phoney sounding to me. That was the only time I think I used the word progressive in a review.

very appropriate in my mind. 

I  think much of that comes with the feeling one needs to defend some bands or attack them based on being added to the database here.

I was pleased to see that a series of reviews I did following a quite controversial addition of mine LOL were well received, yet I didn't do ONE damn thing to apologize or seek to explain the addition through the reviews. The albums speak for themselves, my job was one of a reviewer. Explain the good and the bad as I saw them, and offer any insights one might have into the music or group itself.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 17:57
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

hahaha!!!!!! LOL But true, indeed he is damn sexy plus his reviews are very articulate and insightful!Approve
Hug 
I agree, kati, that Laz's reviews are top notch. As for the sexy part, I'm at a loss so I consulted my wife. She said she didn't know because she could not see how big his wallet is. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>