Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat are you looking for in an album review?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 06:17
Now, on a more serious note: a review is, first and foremost, a piece of creative writing. I don't think one should expect them to re written in a certain prescribed format or tone. Some reviews will be more ________ (fill the blank: verbose, emotional, analytical, lopsided, cerebral, personal, to-the-point etc) than others .. takes all kinds, I suppose. 

Irrationally angry and purposefully vindictive reviews are a form of abuse and contribute nothing to the discussion: "I can't believe how terrible this CD is! I am sending it back to Amazon! This band sucks! This album is so much worse than ______.  I will never buy a CD from this band again!  (is it 100 characters yet?)"
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 06:29
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Some negative reviews I love, and I happen to think we need that side of the story just as much as we need the positive. It's all down to how the reviewer conveys this. Explained another way: I have some fave writers on PA who's tastes reflect the exact opposite of what I go for. When one of these awards an album 1 or 2 stars, I'm almost instantly sold. 
I know the musicians responsible for all this music work their arses off and for little if any pay, but if we only had positive reviews on PA we'd rule out any room for tastes, other people's opinion, the "truth" about an actual release, etc etc the list goes on. 
If the following review of Tangerine Dream's Zeit had been posted yesterday - only it was written about a new upcoming band, we'd been flooded with reports about the disrespectful, harmful intentions of Greenback. Just so happens that I bought this album on his "recommendation" and find his review absolutely hilarious + he does actually describe the sound of the album perfectly well:

1 stars What a shame! The music consists in 2-3 humming refrigerators at the same time, plus a portative fan that turns back and forth to make the anyway inexistent rhythm, and finally a coming cluster of threatening killer bees!

There are tons of albums better than this one to describe the desolation once you go alone on Mars! The album is even not minimalist!

Rating: 0.5 star

hahaha!!! So true Guldbamsen, I feel the same hahaha sometimes I don't know if I should cry or laugh because although I might disagree with one's taste, that review make me laugh and brought another perspective view to light even making me agree in terms of understanding their point of view hahaha!!! LOL big hug to you Hug 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 06:48
Right on SoniaApprove

Anyway I know what you mean with regards to some negative reviews. For me it's mostly the ones that frequently use the word 'boring' that does it for me. YikesDead

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 07:19
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahahhah.  NO sh*t... at least I was ugly to start with

Wahaha, you haven't change a bit on the inside though. ;-)
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 07:22
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Right on SoniaApprove

Anyway I know what you mean with regards to some negative reviews. For me it's mostly the ones that frequently use the word 'boring' that does it for me. YikesDead

Oh that kills it for me too, Guldbamsen, I still cannot comprehend why anyone would use the word bored, why would one put themselves in a position to feel boredConfused! When boredom is mentioned in a review I discredit that immediately and perceive this as lacking sufficient articulate skills to write a review and/ or describe music.
Also if one has to critique a band at least they should have the decency to describe why, don't you think?
It's very rude and inconsiderate to say you are bored really! Bah. Constructive and or honest criticism is good, however bored is none of those, it's not even silly, it's banal.    
huge hug to you, Guldbamsen  SmileHug
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 13:28
I think I respond most to raw emotion. When the reviewer's enthusiasm or detestation are palpable--are transferred to me--that is what makes a review remarkable or memorable or impressionable to me.

There are some amazing writers contributing their reviews and opinions here on PA. I appreciate you, as well, but more on an intellectual or artistic level. It's kind of like comparing a Gilmour solo to one from Sir Robert of Fripp. Frickin' raw emotion versus intellectual erudition. Which one would you take?

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 13:35
I think that everybody has ears, so I try to concentrate on the "meanings" of the things, when things have a meaning. Of course those are the most boring of my reviews, but I like them from a writer perspective. As reader short and straight to the core of the thing is better....probably this is the reason why I have written no more than 3 reviews in the last year.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 13:48
Free download codes or gtfo.

Or, more seriously, I look for people to describe the album as a human being, not as a musician or someone who knows anything about music. What images did you see? What emotions did you feel? What concepts did the album force you to think about in a different way? If they can make clear that this album is an experience not to be missed, and not just a collection of desirable traits, I feel more compelled to buy the album.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 14:10
I'm always attempting to write reviews as thoughts appear into my head and also as I am listening to the album.  Unfortunately, some of my reviews end up being a lot more "all over the place" and not as organized as others.  Once in a while, I write one that I am proud of.  There is a lot of good information in this forum that will help me in the future, so forgive me for the poorly written reviews and celebrate the well written ones with me (wow....that's corny).  I try to avoid track by track reviews (Ok I've done a few, like the last one I did Boulez Conducts Zappa, but not many).  I like to try to keep them short and try not to repeat information that has already been given.  The drawback to that is, there are a lot of readers that are reading your review as the first review because they may be reading it off the Home page, so some repetitiveness can be useful if it's important to the overall layout or atmosphere of the album.  These are the kinds of things I like or don't like in reviews, so I try to format my own the same way.  Giving new information is always great, and well documented reasons as to why you like it or you don't like it also helps.  For example, you might give a reason you hate an album, but that might be a reason why I would like it.  That has actually worked many times for me.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 14:58

I hate to break up the love affair between Laz and Kati ... it was fun while it lasted!

I have to tell you, that after 500+ film reviews, over 100+ album reviews and over 50+ concert reviews, that I am not sure that I have EVER sat down and thought to myself ... what do I want to say?

Just like my poetry and all other writing, it is just a stream of consciousness and a feeling, that I try to express as well as I possibly can, given the language limitations to an event that took place inside my mind that is hard to descrive to someone else.

I DO realize that this is unusual and different and does not follow a "pattern", because the only thing that brings me to a film, or to music, or to a book, are how you expressed your own reaction to the whole piece, not just one song. So, if someone sticks to a "definition" of the music instead of the personal reaction, I'm done and gone, and I even doubt I will listen to the piece of music ... why would I? ... when that person already made it clear there was no feeling to be drawn from that piece?

Reviews, are a tough thing, and sometimes it is all down to the stupidest things ... you don't like someone, you will never read anything. Been there. Done that. Got the whip marks on my back and butt. But there is one secret here ... you will lose the ability to learn and feel and take a look at something different in any art ... and that means ... you are not progressive anymore!

End of story!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 15:42
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I hate to break up the love affair between Laz and Kati ... it was fun while it lasted!

I have to tell you, that after 500+ film reviews, over 100+ album reviews and over 50+ concert reviews, that I am not sure that I have EVER sat down and thought to myself ... what do I want to say?

Just like my poetry and all other writing, it is just a stream of consciousness and a feeling, that I try to express as well as I possibly can, given the language limitations to an event that took place inside my mind that is hard to descrive to someone else.

I DO realize that this is unusual and different and does not follow a "pattern", because the only thing that brings me to a film, or to music, or to a book, are how you expressed your own reaction to the whole piece, not just one song. So, if someone sticks to a "definition" of the music instead of the personal reaction, I'm done and gone, and I even doubt I will listen to the piece of music ... why would I? ... when that person already made it clear there was no feeling to be drawn from that piece?

Reviews, are a tough thing, and sometimes it is all down to the stupidest things ... you don't like someone, you will never read anything. Been there. Done that. Got the whip marks on my back and butt. But there is one secret here ... you will lose the ability to learn and feel and take a look at something different in any art ... and that means ... you are not progressive anymore!

End of story!

Here! Here! and Well said!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 19:10
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

In a word.......brevity.
Confused as in short and brief?

Shorts and briefs
That's ok by me as long as it's not about speedos Big smile coz they look very funny Smile hugs Hug

What's wrong with Speedos Kati?! They are an Australian iconic brand. Even our Prime Minister Tony Abbott wears them with (ahem) pride. See here....
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 05:20
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

I want the author to convince me to listen to the album myself, or on the flip to warn me away from a waste of time.  Style, verbosity and eloquence are all optional.

I appreciate your answer Clem, but what would the author need to write in order to convince you to listen to the album? Or not?

Sorry, I've been traveling all week, possibly this has been explained more eloquently by someone else since this post. Anyway, a convincing review is like any other discussion, debate, written work or other communication intended to make a point - it needs to be factual, informative and credible. The most annoying reviews are the fanboys who do nothing but talk about the album in vague platitudes ("Chocolate Syphillus's new live album will make your hair stand up man! I like had an out-of-body religious experience and I wasn't even tweaking. Buy this thing or yer a douche." does not do much to influence anyone. For classics that already have 1,000+ reviews I don't know that there's much a reviewer can add since those records are universally known already, but if one has to write a review anyway to complete a discography or whatever, at least try to find some obscure bit of trivia to make it a little fresh.

And writing about personal experiences can be helpful if those experiences can be explained in the context of the band, the music, or even the genre.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 07:08
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Frickin' raw emotion versus intellectual erudition. Which one would you take?

raw emotion any day of the week and twice on Saturday.  Thumbs Up  This is music. It is all about emotion. That is why I tell people, my friends interested in some of wacky sh*t I listen to, I love it for when well it can reach out and grab you my balls and by the heart and just hold you, for groups and albums. for years and even lifetimes. Conversely though, when there is nothing better than prog rock done well, there is no music genre worse than prog rock at its worst.  It is a big reason the genre to me (one of several I love) is so interesting to me.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 09:51

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

In a word.......brevity.
Confused as in short and brief?

Shorts and briefs
That's ok by me as long as it's not about speedos Big smile coz they look very funny Smile hugs Hug

What's wrong with Speedos Kati?! They are an Australian iconic brand. Even our Prime Minister Tony Abbott wears them with (ahem) pride. See here....
Lame. I prefer Putin on horseback.
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 10:15
My favorite reviewers on Prog Archives are Conor Fynes, UMUR, and Warthur.  I specifically seek out their reviews and opinions when I'm on our favorite website.  I think part of the reason is that I seem to like a lot of the same music as these reviewers.  I also have genres I like and don't, so there's a really good chance I won't listen to a band labeled electronic progressive, for instance.  

I was a Communications major in college, so it's also not surprising that I'm a little particular about grammar and spelling.  If a review is really hard to read because of shortcomings in the aforementioned areas, I won't read it.  I think that a review that compares the music at hand to other bands helps readers determine what the music being reviewed sounds like.  I have a pretty short attention span (gotta love Asperger's SyndromeJ, so reviews that go into detail about every song don't really work for me.  I can determine for myself which songs on a CD are my favorites.  
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 14:33
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Personally, I always look for a review by a bloke living in Cymru named Lazland. Intelligent, knowing, witty, pithy, yet also approachable, warm, and, above all, bloody sexy.

And mostly modest. In fact, Laz has won the Modest Mussorgsky prize for the best reviewer with a modesty streak, three years consecutively. LOL  
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 15:44
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Personally, I always look for a review by a bloke living in Cymru named Lazland. Intelligent, knowing, witty, pithy, yet also approachable, warm, and, above all, bloody sexy.

And mostly modest. In fact, Laz has won the Modest Mussorgsky prize for the best reviewer with a modesty streak, three years consecutively. LOL  

Am I, indeed, Petrovitch in disguise?

Seriously, if you really like an album, then I instinctively know I will, and I have purchased some gems on the back of your recommendations
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 16:46
And I from you , my Welsh friend! Many, many albums were spawned by your words. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 17:48
Maybe I'm just an easy sell but I just want to know about the music. What does it sound like? What instruments are being used to make? What are the instruments doing? Is it composed/improvised/combination? If there is occasional sax/zither/vocals/crumhorns how often are they used? Etc.

I don't really care about how it makes people feel because I'm not those people. That said, there are certainly reviewers whose tastes coincide pretty well with my own, so I can use that too. But in a general sense (ie I don't know the reviewer), I just want to know what the music sounds like.

I do agree with people that the 'if you like ____ you'll probably like ____ too' is helpful, especially if the review is verbose (which I do prefer to ones of a paragraph or seven sentences in length).

Edited by Man With Hat - November 01 2014 at 17:50
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>