Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAndy Bole (UK) for Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Andy Bole (UK) for Prog Folk
    Posted: October 31 2014 at 20:39
Shankara Andy Bole is a UK based Guitarist/Bouzouki/Multi Instrumentalist who has worked and recorded with Daevid Allen, Damo Suzuki, Hiroshi Higashi, Blowzabella, The Bushbury Mountain Daredevils, The Glissando Guitar Orchestra, The Late Night Band. He is currently a member of Tang, Daevid Allen's Glissando Guitar Orchestra, Shankara, The Bonfire Radicals, AbbaZabba. 

released 03 October 2014

Edited by Svetonio - October 31 2014 at 20:53
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 23:43
This guy is one hell of a musician - I have had his excellent 'Ramshackle Pier' album in my collection for some years, but never thought about suggesting him for this site. However, when you consider some of the people he has worked over the course of his long career, and the diverse nature of some of his compositions I reckon he is well worth an evaluation. 'Ramshackle Pier' was reviewed on Sea Of Tranquility, which is a prog site: http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=2565. Track 14 - 'Pheromones & Incense' seems to be missing off the bandcamp version for some reason Ermm, and the title of the first track is totally wrong Shocked. It should be called 'Carogeen', not 'Ramshackle Pier' (which is track nine).

Anyway - here's his bio for Bob and Ken to get a feel of the man (if they aren't already familiar with him):

Shankara Andy Bole is a musician with a first class pedigree in acoustic and electronic music. He is one half of Tang , one of 7 guitarists in Daevid Allens Glissando Guitar Orchestra and is the guitarist with Fret and Fiddle, he has over the past several years played in some of the finest Acoustic bands, most notably the legendary Bushbury Mountain Daredevils and The Late Night Band who for many years were regarded as two of the finest acts in the U.K.
During his time with The Late Night Band, Andy performed at festivals all over Europe and America and they produced many critically acclaimed albums.
Andy has also performed at concerts in Europe and America with members of Fairport Convention, Gong, Damo Suzuki, Blowzabella, The Eleanor Rigby Experience, Daevid Allen, The Electric Light Orchestra, Dave Stewart and Mike Oldfield and has studied the Hansa Veena with renowned Indian classical musician Barun Kumar Pal.
As a well-respected solo artist Andy has produced seven solo albums, which have met with much critical acclaim.
In fact his album Ramshackle Pier was voted instrumental album of the year by top acoustic magazine Froots.
His masterly playing of the Bouzouki and Weissenborn acoustic slide guitar is in regular demand for use on many television and film soundtrack work.

Some tubes:
From 'Ramshackle Pier'

Extended live version of 'Pheromones and Incense'/'Glorious Om Riff' at the Gong Unconventional Family Gathering at Glastonbury, 23rd October 2004

From the album 'UKKO' - due 1st December (recorded with Bob Hedger - aka "Jah Buddha" - who could well be worth considering for Prog Electronic: http://jahbuddha.bandcamp.com/, https://www.facebook.com/pages/jah-buddha/110768705627561?sk=info):

A brief excerpt from the huge 50-minute single-track album Epicycles:

And some samples from 'The Glorious Event':

Thumbs Up
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 23:54
Thank you Yam Yam.
Andy Bole View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 02:18
Thanks very much, I really appreciate the mention.
www.andybole.co.uk
http://andybole.bandcamp.com/

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 06:25
I have Ramshackle Pier and it's excellent, a really individual approach to the guitar.

I always had it in mind to get more albums. This thread will no doubt give me some ideas Thumbs Up

Edited by Mascodagama - July 10 2016 at 06:25
 Post Reply Post Reply