Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDown on the Upside (Soundgarden)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Down on the Upside (Soundgarden)
    Posted: November 01 2014 at 07:25
One album that is very little spoken of, I find that to be a bad thing, i really find this album is quite important in many ways, what do i mean by that, wil come back to. It features lots of cool songs, mixing heavy riffs, layerd arangements and instrumetnation, mixing of acoustic mandolin and heavy doomy riffing creates a neat conflict on the album.
They took what they did on Superunknown and made it even more experimental, but also warmer, and that heat creates and unique atmosphere. I feel its not often spoken of, but ii feels very influencual, when you go back and see albums released around it and after, it, how much impact had Down on the Upside on other bands, i will say two bands pciked up ideas from it Radiohead on OK Computer, and Porcupine Three on Stupid Dream and Lighbulb Sound  "Wilson said that the album marked a transition away from "abstract instrumentality" into more "natural songwriting" also was due to the influence of the music he had been listening to since the release of their last album, Signify in 1996.[2] These artists included Jeff Buckley,[2] Soundgarden,[2] Brian Wilson,[2] Todd Rundgren,[3] and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.[3]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid_Dream

The inclusion of mandolin in alternative music is not a new thing on Soundgarden, REM started that trend earlyer, but REM was rarely as heayy/doomy as Soungarden. I also feel that this acoustic ness of Soundgarden, the textureous feel, also is picked up by Deftones, Queens of the Stone Age, and posibly also System of a Down, (three bands who themselvs creates in their own way unique musical universes, often Soundgarden is a hit or mis, stack many songs on albums, but i also feel if one listen many times and really closely take notes, you can sort of get how you can be influenced and get crafty ideas from both Superunknown and Down on the Upside, which sort of can be heard on White Poney, early QotSA, and Radiohead. Their defentily other bansd who also influenced these bands soudnwise, im just ntoing how i can hear Soundgardens influence in the soundtapastry of todays music, in both progressive alternative bands, or in other experimental alternative rock bands.

Edited by Icarium - November 01 2014 at 07:31
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 08:29
It's a great album, in many ways the equal of Superunknown. It's got more experimental tracks which I always like. The one thing it lacks is a true testosterone-powered headbanger like Spoonman, but I don't mind. Pretty Noose supposedly fills that role, but it's a fairly offbeat choice for a single, i think.

Edited by HolyMoly - November 01 2014 at 08:32
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 09:35
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

It's a great album, in many ways the equal of Superunknown. It's got more experimental tracks which I always like. The one thing it lacks is a true testosterone-powered headbanger like Spoonman, but I don't mind. Pretty Noose supposedly fills that role, but it's a fairly offbeat choice for a single, i think.
sooo, whats your thoughts on my analysees on its audial influence on alternative progressive rock
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 13:22
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

sooo, whats your thoughts on my analysees on its audial influence on alternative progressive rock
i don't really know about most of those bands you mentioned, and I don't really like to guess about who influenced what and how much.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 17:55
How did I never see this topic?  This is one of my all time favorite albums, ever.  Even though Superunknown edges this one slightly for me, it's almost a completely different sound altogether, and it stands on it's own solidly.  I even love the way it ends with 'Boot Camp'.  I usually have to listen to it twice before putting on a different album, though, because it's a perfectly eerie album-ender.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 05:29
do you think it and Ok Computer are a bit similar, mixing electric and acoustic
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 17:15
I just see DOTU as Soundgarden continuing in a much different direction from where they started.  Not a bad thing, either, because I equally enjoy both phases that they went through.  I can't really compare OK Computer with it because those albums feel a lot different to me, even if they're similar in style, plus I never really listened to Radiohead before that album and what little I heard, I didn't really care for, so I'm unfamiliar with the transition from their first to albums to OK.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2015 at 15:05

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

i don't really know about most of those bands you mentioned, and I don't really like to guess about who influenced what and how much.
I agree with HolyMoly Clap 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply