Topic ClosedFour differnt sides of UK music in the 90s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Four differnt sides of UK music in the 90s
    Posted: November 01 2014 at 07:45
It just something i start to think about. Four bands i feel (one of them i have not listend to that exstensivly), i feel is part of the 90s sound, the soundtrack of a generation, whos music is so in my mind, sort of marks some of the musical sounds i recognice as the sound of 90s.

Radiohead: I am a late fan of Radiohead, but their sound istintaniously changed me, their chords and melodrama, or melancholy mxing with complex textures, and suprises, i feel marks a shift in 90s music, thier impring of later sounds in rock music, are imense, and easy to point towards.

Blur: A band i feel i should listen to, as i heard they are quite experimental and also made a print on the sound of the 90s and its interseting to see where the guy behind Gorillaz sounds from his earlyer band carear, im very familiar with Gorillaz, but not so much familiar with Blur.

Jamiroquai: A insanly groovy, creative, dancefriendly and evocative band, whos songs, i have hard since beginning of 2000s as a house music fan of that time, they drawed my to by a greatest hits record by them. I later found out that their early two albums were different and more jazz/fusiony and i have listend to them sparsly, and plan to go more into them with more consentration, I feel Jaga Jazzist picked some ideas from them in their varied sound.

Prodigy: the odd one out here, as they are not a rock band but a early rave band, later a very confusing band to pinpoint, but they are to my ears, the 90s, in o many ways, the Fat of the Land is the sound of the 90s to me, their vissuals in videos, the imagery, the grimness, the nihilisticness, and intenceity, is easly addictive and recogniced.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 22:04
I can only comment on Radiohead here.
Yorke and his henchmen started out rather indie, but eventually did everything differently, hence their inclusion here at PA. Their brand of music is quite unique to my ears. Highly experimental, left-field, yet popular - not alienating the 'masses'. Quite an achievement.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2014 at 03:21
Listened to a lot of The Prodigy back in high school for the simple reason that my brother's a fan of them. It's weird how the 1990s' brand of futurism now seems as characteristically the dream of a specific era as those of the 1950s, 1960s or 1980s. (see also The Future Sound of London, whom I now prefer)

I've liked a couple of Jamiroquai songs but never got around to developing an active interest in them. As for those other two, most of that introverted vaguely psychedelic guitar music to come out of the UK in the 1980s and 1990s does absolutely nothing for me. (excepting the Cocteau Twins and those goth bands falling in under that umbrella)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
 Post Reply Post Reply