Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Albums Of 1975! (after WYWH)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 11:59
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by Wakeman's Birotron Wakeman's Birotron wrote:

Los Jaivas - El Indio was a great album released at that time. Here is a song from the album called Los Jaivas - Guajira Cósmica   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be8p0GtbB4Y
Hug

There's some outstanding keyboard and percussion work here indeed! El Indio is an overlooked gem, considering the recognition Alturas gets usually.

Very true, Wakeman's Birotron Smile
However, Alturas en Machu Picchu came later, I love that album, especially the song La poderosa muerte - Los Jaivas en Machu Picchu is outstanding brilliant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AO8pY09h_Y
Big hug to you xxx Hug

In fact, those latin flutes at the beginning of La Poderosa Muerte were what got me into Los Jaivas first
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 18:00
^Hey this is damn good music to my precious ears!! Just listened to La Poderosa Muerte in radio.uol, such a beautiful song indeed, I just can't figure how some months back I didn't give it the deserved listening attention to it after reading a Kati's post in "What are you listening to?" and then this incredible band literally followed under my radar... Cry
Un Dia de Tus Dias (album Los Jaivas) - Just loved how the charango flyes throughout the music with the beautiful zampoñas closing it!
Tarka y Ocarina (Diablada-Trote-Kotaiki) - awesome! And the zampoñas right at the beggining of it are authentic andean folk music! What a beautiful and strong piano notes throughout the song! Btw also throughout La Conquistada (loved this music!!) and Final (album Alturas.)
Del Aire Al Aire (album Alturas) - GREAT andean folk music, no vocals on it though I'm loving the singer too, in La Poderosa Muerte his singing reminded me quite much of the strenght and the talent of Mercedes Sosa - if you listen to her andean composition Vientos Del Alma you will have the notion of what I'm talking about, how I damn love this song!!

Los Jaivas are just now my most recent great discovery! Anyways I'm a suspect one to talk about this sort of music, I've always been a GREAT fan of andean folk music, particularly when it is mostly bound to their roots, so it is that one of my very favourites perhaps keeps being the literally fantastic Sunch'u T'ikitay from the bolivians Los Kjarkas (https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422579428&x-yt-cl=85114404&v=P-6fTmIucHM&feature=player_detailpage) - but this Jaivas' blend with european instruments I never imagined that it could get so beautiful! What a great prog band indeed! Smile

Edited by Rick Robson - January 31 2015 at 18:02

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 18:11

Los Jaivas - El Indio was a great album released at that time. Here is a song from the album called Los Jaivas - Guajira Cósmica   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be8p0GtbB4Y
Hug

There's some outstanding keyboard and percussion work here indeed! El Indio is an overlooked gem, considering the recognition Alturas gets usually.

However, Alturas en Machu Picchu came later, I love that album, especially the song La poderosa muerte - Los Jaivas en Machu Picchu is outstanding brilliant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AO8pY09h_Y
Big hug to you xxx Hug

In fact, those latin flutes at the beginning of La Poderosa Muerte were what got me into Los Jaivas first

DELETED.

Edited by Rick Robson - January 31 2015 at 18:23

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 18:14

Hug

Big hug to you xxx Hug

Perhaps interesting to point out that those can't be called latin flutes, because the native wind instruments from that region differ a lot from the well known traditional flutes. The only woodwind instruments that resemble in shape the european flutes are the ones called "Kena" and "Tarka", because the ancient flutes of the Andes are musical instruments based on the principle of the stopped pipe, consisting usually of ten or more pipes of gradually increasing length (and, at times, girth.) Often mistaken for the European pan-flute, they are native to the countries of Peru and Bolivia, but their origins are attributed to the Kechuas (reminiscents of the Inca Civilization) and extended to the Aymaras too. The pan flute is played by blowing horizontally across the open end against the sharp inner edge of the pipes. This creates the regular series of pulses which generate the sound waves within the tubes. They are generally called Zampoñas, but there are 4 kinds of Zampoñas: Toyos, low sound, Zankas 1/8 higher, Maltas 1/8 higher than Zankas and Chulis 1/8 octave higher than Maltas.
Often they can also consist of two separate halves, with the musical scale divided between both halves - these are called Siku (see-ku), tuned diatonically in the Key of G MAJOR. The Siku is native to the areas surrounding Lake Titicaca between the countries of Peru and Bolivia. Traditionally, the Siku is always played between two musicians, with each player taking one half of the instrument. The melody is thus woven back and forth between the two players. In order for one to play alone the two halves must be held together. Sikus vary greatly in size, ranging from reeds of less than an inch to reeds measuring over four feet! 

Zampoñas:

Edited by Rick Robson - January 31 2015 at 18:20

moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 18:18
Yeah WYWH isn't that high up there for me, unlike
1. Gentle Giant - Free Hand
2. Van der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
3. Harmonium - Si On Avait Besoin D'une Cinquieme Saison
4. Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of Summer Lawns
5. Robert Wyatt - Ruth is Stranger than Richard
6. Renaissance - Scheherazade and Other Stories
7. Triana - El Patio
8. Fela Kuti - Expensive sh*t/He Miss Road
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 19:21
Plenty more better albums than WYWH in 1975
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Wakeman's Birotron View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 21:26
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Hug

Big hug to you xxx Hug

Perhaps interesting to point out that those can't be called latin flutes, because the native wind instruments from that region differ a lot from the well known traditional flutes. The only woodwind instruments that resemble in shape the european flutes are the ones called "Kena" and "Tarka", because the ancient flutes of the Andes are musical instruments based on the principle of the stopped pipe, consisting usually of ten or more pipes of gradually increasing length (and, at times, girth.) Often mistaken for the European pan-flute, they are native to the countries of Peru and Bolivia, but their origins are attributed to the Kechuas (reminiscents of the Inca Civilization) and extended to the Aymaras too. The pan flute is played by blowing horizontally across the open end against the sharp inner edge of the pipes. This creates the regular series of pulses which generate the sound waves within the tubes. They are generally called Zampoñas, but there are 4 kinds of Zampoñas: Toyos, low sound, Zankas 1/8 higher, Maltas 1/8 higher than Zankas and Chulis 1/8 octave higher than Maltas.
Often they can also consist of two separate halves, with the musical scale divided between both halves - these are called Siku (see-ku), tuned diatonically in the Key of G MAJOR. The Siku is native to the areas surrounding Lake Titicaca between the countries of Peru and Bolivia. Traditionally, the Siku is always played between two musicians, with each player taking one half of the instrument. The melody is thus woven back and forth between the two players. In order for one to play alone the two halves must be held together. Sikus vary greatly in size, ranging from reeds of less than an inch to reeds measuring over four feet! 

Zampoñas:

Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't aware of the actual names of these flutes.
Prime Deposits View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 00:14
1. Tangerine Dream: Rubycon
2. Passport: Cross Collateral
3. Jethro Tull: Minstrel in the Gallery
4. Rush: Caress of Steel
5. Brian Eno: Another Green World
6. Fripp & Eno: Evening Star
7. Kraftwerk: Radio-Activity
8. Triumvirat: Spartacus
9. Gentle Giant: Free Hand
10. Mahavishnu Orchestra: Visions of the Emerald Beyond

Edited by Prime Deposits - July 01 2015 at 20:44
snowsnow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 03:53
One of THE greatest albums of all time was released in 1975 and it wasn't WYWH (great though it is!)

It is, of course, Oldfield's Ommadawn - simply a timeless masterpiece.
Wakeman's Birotron View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 09:08
Originally posted by snowsnow snowsnow wrote:

One of THE greatest albums of all time was released in 1975 and it wasn't WYWH (great though it is!)

It is, of course, Oldfield's Ommadawn - simply a timeless masterpiece.

Well I must agree with you, it has been my all time favorite album for quite a long time, before I decided there were too many masterpieces to choose just one. One of the very best of the genre.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 13:20

Hi,

Ohhh boy ... I have to look at the Space Pirate Radio spreadsheet to see what I missed ... but here is a small list in no specific order except the top four which are interchangeable!

Can -- Landed
Ange -- Emile Jacotey
Nektar -- Recycled
Keith Jarrett -- The Koln Concert

Vangelis -- Heaven and Hell
Camel -- Snow Goose
Terje Rypdal -- Odyssey
Steve Hackett -- Voyage of the Acolyte
Caravan -- Cunning Stunts (Album Cover of the Year Award!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Van der Graff Generator -- Godbluff
Mike Oldfield -- Ommadawn
Klaus Schulze -- Timewind
Tangerine Dream -- Rubycon
Edgar Froese -- Epsilon in Malaysian Pale
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 13:22
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Ange- Au Dela du Delire
Forgot about that one. A top five candidate for sure

Emile Jacotey is 1975 /// I think this one is 1974!

Au Dela Du Delire is one of my top ten albums of all time, if I had to make a list!

Edited by moshkito - February 01 2015 at 13:25
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 13:42
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Cherry Five - Cherry Five

Exciting beautiful music! What a catchy and dinamic organ, keyboards and synths playing, so far just loving it, especially:
Cherry Five - Oliver
Cherry Five - The  Picture Of Dorian Gray
Cherry Five - The Swan Is A Murderer (pt. 1)

Clap

Thumbs Up

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 13:44
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Cherry Five - Cherry Five

Exciting beautiful music! What a catchy and dinamic organ, keyboards and synths playing, so far just loving it, especially:
Cherry Five - Oliver
Cherry Five - The  Picture Of Dorian Gray
Cherry Five - The Swan Is A Murderer (pt. 1)

A Cherry 5 fan (Security!)!

LOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 10:10

Hell yeah , a hell of an album! , and Heaven knows it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234