Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Best Album You've Never Heard In Your Life!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Best Album You've Never Heard In Your Life!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 09:12
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

As Poly said the title and the OP are a little contradictory ...by accident I assume.
I think Steve wanted us to recommend something obscure from our collections that we think is pretty good.
As someone above said...hard to think of one that is not known by those who post here.   I own copies of Cherry 5, Solaris, and Earth and Fire...all good ones btw.
Have to think on this.

Ok..here are 4 that I like quite a bit that are fairly unknown...I think.... though I'm sure some here know them.

Castle Canyon-Gods of 1973....sort of an American ELP.
Yak-Journey of The Yak (2008)....listed as neo-prog but they also remind me of a mellower  ELP at times
Friendship Time-st (1976)...eclectic prog
Jasper Wrath-st (1971) ....crossover prog that reminds me of the Moody Blues

Sorry if the post confuses people, Doc. it's a play on a Zappa album title "The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life." I forgot that not everyone listens to Zappa. LOL
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 09:53
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Wow Dave
.......I dunno what to say.........
These bands are the reason I seldom revisit the amazing instigators.........
I love the modern production, and furthermore, what these guys/gals come up with just makes me think twice about what's come before.........

Hey man whatever floats your boatLOL I love that you love them if you know what I mean. 
I think we share a lot of the same tastes anyhoo *wink-wink* Dave Stewart.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 10:07
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It really annoys me actually. You mention Haken, Huge Train and Thieves Kitchen too and I can't stand any of themOuch
I want more modern prog that I can get into, but the ones running on fumes from the Neo generation just don't do it for me. If it's a modern act doing the exact same thing only it's conveyed in a psychedelic manner, then I'm all for it. Go figureConfused
I love Phideaux thoughBig smile

Phideaux are great, especially if you are so lucky as to catch one of their rare live appearances. And the fact that they're a bunch of really great people doesn't hurt eitherSmile.

Though I grew up with classic prog, and still have a lot of time for it, I have grown mostly out of those bands that tend to reproduce the original Seventies sound (though Thieves' Kitchen latest album was one of my top 5 for last yearWink). A lot of what I dig these days bears very little resemblance to the classics, and I am sure a lot of people would not call it prog. Are you familiar with MoeTar?

I work both ways too. Always looking for the cutting edge, whether in prog or in other progressive music styles like electronic, jazz, drone and freak folk.....yet I still have an uncommonly huge thirst for old school recording methods like mic placement and playing it live in the studio and then if that's wrapped up in some saucy psychedelics, I'm pretty much sold....even if the concept is as old as my daddyo's pants. 
Maybe it's because psychedelic music was my first real love. Floyd, Jimi, Doors, Woodstock, Cream, Steve Miller Band and the likes were the stuff I listened to while all my friends were busy with New Kids On The Block, Take That and Ace of Base. I think I was 11 at the time. In many ways I'm actually still 11, just ask any person who's ever met me.

Never heard of MoeTar before, but I'll be sure to check them out. ThanksBig smile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 10:13
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 11:06
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I remember listening to Seven once thinking 'this is not my bag', but to be fair, it's been years.

Knowing you don't like Renaissance this is not entirely surprising. Its quite pretty music almost 'easy listening' prog and ceetainly not your bag. Another album I can recommend you avoid is Adam Roolaart's  The Plight Of Lady Oona which features Anne Haslam on one track. Don't buy it! LOL

LOL
Zing!

- Douglas Adams
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 11:42
Madder Mortem - 'All Flesh Is Grass'
Not too many full-on monstrous metal albums could cite King Crimson's Discipline as an influence. Love this album so much.

Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 11:55
Yeah I doubt they are truly unknown since this is a prog forum and most everything is at least able to be found but here's a few from way back(early 90's or so but not necessarily from the 90's)that I remember enjoying a lot(in no order):

Aragon - Don't bring the Rain (mainly for the absolutely killer 15 minute "the Crucifixion" that is even better than "Harvest of Souls." This album is a must for Marillion or PG era Genesis fans imo(if you can find it).

Bel Air - The Sleeping Beauty

Eduardo Bort - same Spanish prog from 1974 (some tracks have heavy psych guitars others feature nice mellotron). A really under rated prog gem.

New Trolls - Concerto Grosso number 1 (classical orchestra meets Hendrix jamming with Jethro Tull and Deep Purple).

Leviathan - Bee Yourself (Italian band; this is from 1990 and is it worth it for the 19 minute title track alone).

Lift - Caverns of Your Brain (70's US band with awesome epic symphonic track called "tripping over the rainbow"). The whole thing is a great and is a lost US prog classic imo.

Easter Island - Same as above so far as being a lost US prog classic from the seventies. Maybe not essential but worth having for the US collector at least.

Makkiwhipdies - His name is Nnnnnnnnnn- I may have been the one to suggest this band on PA(I don't remember for sure but I think I did). Anyway, it's maybe a bit cut and paste at places but imo this is a very enjoyable quirky symphonic prog album(originally from 1996).

I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them right now.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - November 05 2014 at 11:55
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 08:38
Regarding US bands I would add , Cathedral-Stained Glass Stories and a band called Babylon.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123