Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes Relayer Steven Wilson Remix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 08:40
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^There's no sex in prog! Didn't you get the memo?

At least we're not as old as Beethoven and Mozart!

NP: ELO - Roll Over Beethoven
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
barrows View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:52
Wow!  It is hard to understand the SW hate present in this thread.  So far, the work I have heard him (Crimson and Yes) do has been exemplary.  I have the new Relayer re-mix on DVDA, ripped the 24/96 to my music server, and it sounds much better than any other version I have heard (including original vinyl in '75).  I have always loved the complexity of Relayer, but the mix/mastering always suffered from being too bright, and too busy sounding.  SW has brought out new details, while at the same time making the entire thing more listenable tonally.  I have not listened to the CD version, as I will always prefer hi res in my system.
And anyway, why hate on what SW does: the DVDA package includes a high res flat transfer (no re-mix) from the analog master as well, so you can choose that version if you prefer.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 03:40
There has been a backlash against Steven for a while. I can sort of understand it as he is not the most 'cuddly'  of people and does occasionally rub people up the wrong way. I am now a fan of him but that wasn't always the case.I think the guy works hard and does anyone else that interested and committed to prog generally know their way round a sound mixing desk as well as he does? I doubt it.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 03:44
A stunning remix of (imo) the best album by Yes!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 15:24

Originally posted by barrows barrows wrote:

Wow!  It is hard to understand the SW hate present in this thread.

I don't think it is hate, as much as it might be considered that SW thinks he has a better say in determining what is "progressive" based on his choices of music to help clean up. However, I have not heard him use the word "progressive" at all for these situations!!!!

The fact is, that no one was going to clean up YES, GG or KC ... and he got Robert to understand things even better than before, if I am not mistaken.

Again, my feeling has been all along that it doesn't matter who re-mixes, or re-masters these things ... the original will always remain just another version of the same piece of music, and digital or not, you can not erase the human element and neither can you make it "better", and too many folks are deceiving themselves via the commercial top ten definition and understanding of things.

It's a matter of time, and digital will surpass any LP ever made. Plain and simple! Nobody ever thought we would reach the moon or that we would even be flying, or that there would be a tunnel under the English channel.

Times change.

Things change.

And one day there was a woman Prime Minister in a country that thought women were secondary citizens and the comments in the media were unbelievable ... yhou would think women were animals!

Originally posted by barrows barrows wrote:

...  So far, the work I have heard him (Crimson and Yes) do has been exemplary. ...

I won't disagree.

However, that's like saying that the version of Bernstein of The rite of Spring, is better than Stokowski, which is better than Osawa's which is better than Leinsdorf which is better than Karajhan's!

That's crazy.

WHAT you are hearing that has changed from the original, has absolutely NOTHING to do with the original feeling that came through the music, something that is very specific and peculiar to that piece, and is the "secret" that keeps that piece alive for so long and appreciated even after hundreds of years!

You must see that!

Steven's touch is nice, there is no doubt about it, and it is quite visible in the Porcupine Tree stuff and in his own albums ... but I think that he should concentrate on his own work, and let the stravinsky's of rock, or the tchaikovsky's of rock live and die by their own hand. If YES, is not intelligent enough to stop playing with lesser musicians and take care of their work, then ... that's that. If Robert is not smart enough to realize that the stuff sitting in the vaults is a volcano waiting to explode ... then, that's that! If Gentle Giant is not strong enough to know what they can do with their work for another generation ... there is nothing you can tell them that will help them listen!

In the end, the electronic versions will survive, because the vinyl's time is over ... so us crying over the horse carriages of 100 years ago, will, eventually, sound stupid and bizarre!

Edited by moshkito - December 30 2014 at 12:59
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Darfnader View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 10:31
Steven Wilson is the best thing that has happened to progressive rock in decades. He is audacious but he has earned that through work and discipline. I genuine believe his motivation is nothing but to make music and to preserve the classic notions that we hold about it, such as the idea of the album, the importance to a recordings tone as much as it’s content, and the ability to get the amazing artists to play with him that are genuinely undiscovered but clearly gifted. If he’s trying to get noticed to be cool or have power or influence, he does a great job of hiding it. The audacity to remix classic albums in pot 5.1 is sure to piss people off, but it is a worthy effort. Granted some of the results are not as good as others, possibly because of what he has to work with, but when you hear Hand. Cannot. Erase. In your home theatres sweet spot, it is unearthly. It is not the gimmicky sound of those simulators late model home theatre receivers attempt. It’s is a native mix and the experience is hard to describe. I can’t say any of the remixes can touch that level of sound, but there is new depth. The issue I have heard that sounds the most valid is that since he is remixing the sound to become something very different than say when an album gets a stereo remix to “clean up” older, less masterful studio jobs, he is taking license with how the album sounds in a way that is making assumptions about what the original artists would have wanted. I will stand up for the effort because had those artists been able to practically record in 5.1 and the recording could be enjoyed without unusually equipment, they most surely would have. I know people resist 5.1, 5.2, 7.1, 9.1, and Atmos because we can all be purists, the reality is these recordings have qualities stereo LPs simply can’t achieve. The sampling rate and resolution of blu-ray audio is so dense that there is no sacrifice to digitizing like there was with CDs, which are still close. The added depth of natural tracks really creates the feeling like your standing with the band playing around you in a very natural way, assuming you’re not trying to add some hokey DSP to it. I still cling to my LPs, but I can not deny that I believe all music should be mixed in every multi channel format possible. Technology is not there yet, but it will. Also, playing blu-ray for music is actually clunkier than playing a record IMHO because of how players are generally so badly designed and not geared for audiophiles, but I hope 5.1 recordings become SOP for music generally listen to on couches. To all the doubters, just listen to the 5.1 recording of Hand Cannot Erase on a good System and hear for yourself!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 10:40
^Holy welcome/necrobump!

I personally enjoy all his mixes.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 19:01
oh yeah....

Originally posted by Darfnader Darfnader wrote:

Steven Wilson is the best thing that has happened to progressive rock in decades.

SNIP!!!!

best I snip rather than read.. as I didn't hold much hope for irony over pure unadolated fanboyism in the rest of that novel.

You need to get out more... there are scores and scores of bands NOT named or associated with Steve Wilson putting to shame the pure sh*t he has thrown out the last few years...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 09:39
So tell us ...how do you really feel about Wilson...?      

ps: 'unadolated'...? Really...?

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 10:22
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

So tell us ...how do you really feel about Wilson...?      

ps: 'unadolated'...? Really...?

;)

bah.....  never mistake me for Raff and her perfection in the wielding of the written word..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 10:30
^Oh....I never mistake you for Raff.

ps: Throw out some of those scores of names of bands  for me...my 'fanboyism' has worn off.

;)

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 10:38
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^Oh....I never mistake you for Raff.

ps: Throw out some of those scores of names of bands  for me...my 'fanboyism' has worn off.

;)

yeah  we were always the beauty and the beast....  impossible to mistake the two of us.... though I remember some thought Raff was one of my alt ID's I do have here.   Good times....  with my favorite I got two of the SC's here so worked up and hot to trot they started PMing me looking to hook up.... I had to break it off when they did that. sh*t started a bit wierd ... men really are such pigs

oh a list...   perhaps later...  best best is to pick by random..  you'll find most all of them are worlds above what SWilson has been doing. It really isnt that hard I suppose haha
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 02:09
"dull and muddy" sounds like a good thing to me, in these days when people think smiley faced EQ'ing is good sounding. The pops are probably from the tapes, but I haven't heard it closely - I doubt it's defective copy.
lostrom
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 12:38
Did this dude straight up disappear?

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123