Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Neo Prog sound cheesy to you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Poll Question: Does Neo Prog sound cheesy to you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [14.29%]
17 [24.29%]
18 [25.71%]
19 [27.14%]
1 [1.43%]
4 [5.71%]
1 [1.43%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 02:52
As an aside if I may observe the term album oriented rock is  a sales format to indicate the extended rock work to taken in the long for context rather than the song on single format. Much the same thing is classic rock which encompasses many styles.

If someone said Play a country rock song or guitar lick, fine. Play an album oriented rock lick is much more difficult as it could be anything.

Formats have to identified as distinct from sub-sub-sub genres (etc) as this leads to many on line debate which could be reoriented so it makes sense rather than causing diatribes.

Having said that (Riverside are a Neo band?) back to fruitful debate and worthy insight which I read (from time to time) with some enjoyment. Keep up the good work (to all here not the poor OP).

;)

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 01:32
I keep getting email notifications here, but not sure how to reply to cheesy Stern Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 02:41
Only the actual term 'Neo' Prog sounds cheezy to me....
The music is generally great......
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 09:27
I put the first vote in for "Not so much cheesy as sounding like bland 80's AOR rock". I don't want to be disingenuous. I like the Script quite a bit. Most of the rest of Neo I find very boring.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 21:12
OP:  YES!!!!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Permy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 22:27
Neo is THIN.

There is Kool-Aid and there is sangria.

It is thin because it concentrates on select facets of proper prog and disregards or downplays the rest.

It is un-balanced.

Prog admitted other genres.  You dont hear much jazz or folk in neo.

Neo is pale imitation.  (Often too verbose as well.)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 10:15
Originally posted by Permy Permy wrote:

Neo is THIN.

There is Kool-Aid and there is sangria.

It is thin because it concentrates on select facets of proper prog and disregards or downplays the rest.

It is un-balanced.

Prog admitted other genres.  You dont hear much jazz or folk in neo.

Neo is pale imitation.  (Often too verbose as well.)

I couldn't disagree more with this supposed thesis ( a bit thin on ideas perhapsWink)

Perhaps you could listen to Tales From The Lush Attic . No pale imitation its the full blown thing.

Neo reinvented itself towards the late eighties as it became more sure of itself. It doesn't need to be linked to anything other than what it is. The beauty of music is in what is actually there , not what isn't there and doesn't need to be there. You can then have a nice variety of things to listen to.Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 11:08
I still have a problem with the classification of bands as 'NEO-PROG'.....what makes them 'Neo'? Why not just place them in symphonic or crossover...? If Yes had been formed in the late 80's would they be called neo since some of their material the last 25 years certainly fits what people call 'neo' today'.
To me it seems like a very specific arbitrary classification not really based on the music ...or am I missing something specific that makes a band 'neo'?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 13:24
^ Well said. I don't know who coined the prefix 'Neo'. To me, it's a modernised form of Symph-Prog, perhaps with elements from Pop music, but generally Symph but perhaps less grandiose ??
Indeed Lush Attic is insanely good. IQ nailed it from the start.
Permy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 07:53
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I couldn't disagree more with this supposed thesis ( a bit thin on ideas perhapsWink)

Perhaps you could listen to Tales From The Lush Attic . No pale imitation its the full blown thing.

Neo reinvented itself towards the late eighties as it became more sure of itself. It doesn't need to be linked to anything other than what it is. The beauty of music is in what is actually there , not what isn't there and doesn't need to be there. You can then have a nice variety of things to listen to.Smile

I have orig vinyl of "Lush Attic" and, yes, it is one of the better ones.

The reason (80s/90s) neo does not measure up has been parrotted over the internet countless times and I will repeat all that:

- "it is filtered thru 20 years of heavy metal, guitar histrionics from post Van Halen era - back to rock sources for inspiration

-neo begets neo

-little feminine/acoustic passages

-keys played only to subtile backdrop - no classical reference.  Workstation-type synths. Jingle/dance synths

-no sense dynamics or syncopation. little diversity. compositions which do not "shatter" then bring back

-no use jazz chords or counterpoint

-more often than not, one-man band syndrome

-pointless unchanging melodies

-obsession with anger/angst trend. I bet many of these artists inwardly regret writing those lyrics as they mature

-building only on the backs of first-generation bands"

"when you are emulating the emulation, you always end up with a second-rate product."

-
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 15:05
^ basically then it lacks complexity but my point is that it doesn't want to be that complex and would rather be emotional and atmospheric. Anger and angst are not the only emotions present although they are admittedly pretty high up on the scale of most used emotions in neo so I have to give you that one. The other things are not really important to me and I don't understand 'pointless unchanging melodies' at all. Melody is good end of. I like a solid structure but yes it can point to a lack of imagination. I've said elsewhere that IQ's latest doesn't really impress me and feels a bit tired but I have heard other neo that I like although not so much this year.
 A lot of my enjoyment of neo is that its direct. Now maybe that is a rock thing but prog is rock thing like it or not. The bands derived as much from rock as they did from classical and jazz. The neo prog bands realised they had to concentrate on what they could achieve not try to be something else. Its a valid approach albeit less interesting to many which I fully understand. It only doesn't measure up because you are having understandable reverence to first generation prog but that was as it was - brilliant and that outpouring of ideas can never be repeated. Nothing measures up.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 23:45
Magenta are considered Neo, however, to my ears, it's quality, modern Symph-Prog.
Comedy Of Errors does have this Neo sound to it, and I simply adore Fanfare......
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 00:05
Have never liked any neo, but I still try it out again every once and a while.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 09:18
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Magenta are considered Neo, however, to my ears, it's quality, modern Symph-Prog.
Comedy Of Errors does have this Neo sound to it, and I simply adore Fanfare......

I  agree and thanks for the Comedy of Errors mention....I have been meaning to buy that one.

It seems like there are quite a few on PA who disdain prog that's more straight ahead with good melodies and only think it's 'prog' if it's difficult music with melodies you have to go looking for. Interesting since most of  the old classic great prog bands had strong melody lines with mostly well structured songs and to my ears could be called neo-prog today on many of the things they did.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345