Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPost Dark Magus Miles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post Dark Magus Miles
    Posted: November 06 2014 at 15:00
Been listening to a lot of Miles lately.

Dark Magus is probably the latest thing I have from him - anything else after that worth getting?
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 16:07
The two live albums from Japan with almost the same band as Dark Magus - Agartha and Pangaea.....Pete Cosey was a mutherhumper!  

There's are also two live albums from the very end of Miles' time:  We Want Miles and Live around the World.  We Want Miles features the band with Mike Stern (another mutherhumper) on guitar, Marcus Miller (b), Al Foster (d), and probably the best album to hear Bill Evans on sax (most of that guy's stuff is so bland and overproduced).  The Live aronnd the World album is a compilation from the final two or three tours of his life.  The band varies throughout, but the music is wonderful, Cindi Lauper's Time after Time is the last essential piece in my Miles collection.

The studio album Star People is also surprisingly good - Mike Stern and Schof appear and really burn....and Bill Evans on sax isn't as irritating as he normally is.  The numbers are all bluesy jams that must have been spliced together from much longer jams.....three tracks are well over 10 minutes and the best track IMO is the 20 minute title cut.  Not as essential as the live albums, but definitely his best studio album since On the Corner or Jack Johnson.

1974 to 1991 weren't the best years for Miles.....he was often ill or just sick of the whole music game, but it's clear that he had some inspiration left, especially on Agartha and Pangaea.

Edited by Intruder - November 06 2014 at 16:08
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 17:48
Thanks man, great info
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 10:35
Water Babies is great, don't forget about that. 

From his latter day period where he only made 3 records, I'd say that Tutu is pretty good. It's more of a smooth talker though, but I really like it. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply