Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas the flame finally gone out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Surrealist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 02:34
Oldfield did fine studio work.  My point was that few, even here are putting him in the top 5 of all time great Prog acts.
Am I wrong on this?  I don't think so.

I have most of Oldfield's stuff on vinyl and enjoy his work.  But it's not Gentle Giant or Yes is it?

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:12
I'm a huge Mike Oldfield fan! I've noticed on Ommadawn that his structure of music is in the Prog vain, but it's often not including a drum pattern in ALL sections  and if it did, more people would directly hear the style of Progressive Rock that they could identify with. For example, when he plays the bass parts on bass guitar, the sections if done differently with a full scale Prog band could easily fit the bill. However...he is an instrumentalist and sometimes in his music, he naturally creates a different sound within itself that SOMEHOW steers clear of a Progressive Rock formula. When he's recording all the instruments himself, it's most difficult to imagine his music being performed by a Prog band..such as Gentle Giant or Yes, but it actually isn't too far from being that in the musical sense. Vangelis was like that in the early days. Mike Oldfield and David Bedford were both progressive with their compositions. If the ambient sections of their pieces were replaced with the addition of drums and vocals dominantly , it would be very possible that their music would resemble the vision of pure Progressive Rock composition, but because he is an instrumentalist...that's not going to happen or even sometimes make that impression on anyone in particular.

Edited by TODDLER - November 26 2014 at 11:15
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 22:00
I do like Oldfield a lot too, and those 70's albums must have some of the most special music I've heard. And indeed for me he should be among the very finest example of prog. Perhaps indeed what doesn't help him there is that he was not a band, nor was it easy for him to tour. And his music might have most of the elements of prog, but it wasn't rock either. As for his last album, I have been enjoying it very much too... but it's still not remotely close to what he achieved in the 70's... nor his prog revival in the 90's.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 01:31
Maybe The flame has gone out for the dinosaurs of the 70's. But luckily, there are new interesting bands in post/alternative/progressive rock. Star
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 04:43
Exactly. Every rejuvenating movement tends to fossilize.
Others will bring new exciting music.
It's also like that with prog.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 22:24
Well, I just got (finally) the first Iamthemorning album, and indeed that's very refreshing. I don't know how prog most people will actually consider it, but I really liked it a lot. That piano is just wonderful. And it's wonderful to listen to all that great musicianship without the intent to show off, but just create beautiful music.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 08:55

Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

Oldfield did fine studio work.  My point was that few, even here are putting him in the top 5 of all time great Prog acts.
Am I wrong on this?  I don't think so.

I have most of Oldfield's stuff on vinyl and enjoy his work.  But it's not Gentle Giant or Yes is it?

You might enjoy Mike a bit more if you don't compare to GG or Yes. It's a different boat ... one that was not built by the same country or folks, if you will!

Thinking that GG and Yes are progressive and Mike is not is down right crazy and silly, and in the end, you will endup bored with 2 of them, and forgetting the other. While GG and Yes have gotten their kudos and what not, Mike was nominated for an OSCAR, and will likely be remembered far longer than the other two bands ... but since you are stuck on GG and Yes as the only "progressive" bands ... I am not sure that you can appreciate any other band out there that is just as progressive, if not more!

I would like to suggest that your musical definitions need a bit more seasoning! Salt and pepper is the American way, but that's way too boring in Europe!

Edited by moshkito - December 01 2014 at 14:25
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 01:34
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I'm a huge Mike Oldfield fan! I've noticed on Ommadawn that his structure of music is in the Prog vain, but it's often not including a drum pattern in ALL sections  and if it did, more people would directly hear the style of Progressive Rock that they could identify with. For example, when he plays the bass parts on bass guitar, the sections if done differently with a full scale Prog band could easily fit the bill. However...he is an instrumentalist and sometimes in his music, he naturally creates a different sound within itself that SOMEHOW steers clear of a Progressive Rock formula. When he's recording all the instruments himself, it's most difficult to imagine his music being performed by a Prog band..such as Gentle Giant or Yes, but it actually isn't too far from being that in the musical sense. Vangelis was like that in the early days. Mike Oldfield and David Bedford were both progressive with their compositions. If the ambient sections of their pieces were replaced with the addition of drums and vocals dominantly , it would be very possible that their music would resemble the vision of pure Progressive Rock composition, but because he is an instrumentalist...that's not going to happen or even sometimes make that impression on anyone in particular.

Interesting and no doubt a correct observation

Incantations Part 3 could have been that more 'traditional' prog track if the drums had just been lifted a bit higher in the mix. I still love it though.

Edited by richardh - November 29 2014 at 01:35
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 07:48
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Interesting and no doubt a correct observation

Incantations Part 3 could have been that more 'traditional' prog track if the drums had just been lifted a bit higher in the mix. I still love it though.

Very good detail! This is very true.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 17:17

I'm a huge Mike Oldfield fan! I've noticed on Ommadawn that his structure of music is in the Prog vain, but it's often not including a drum pattern in ALL sections  and if it did, more people would directly hear the style of Progressive Rock that they could identify with.

Careful here, because Mike is capable of doing rock'n'roll, but then his tendencies are much more classical than they are rock music oriented.

is it progressive? This is where the term is badly defined and designed.

Mike is working with about 10 to 15 to 20 staffs of music, or tracks, and he knows that the same thing can't be done on all of them (how boring and soooooooo rock'n'roll!!!!) and his sense is to do something different. This is the mark of a true composer!

For example, when he plays the bass parts on bass guitar, the sections if done differently with a full scale Prog band could easily fit the bill. However...he is an instrumentalist and sometimes in his music, he naturally creates a different sound within itself that SOMEHOW steers clear of a Progressive Rock formula. When he's recording all the instruments himself, it's most difficult to imagine his music being performed by a Prog band..

Where do you think most of "rock music" and "progressive music" came from?

They all came from the previous history of music ... that existed before they even learned their very first note! it follows that the majority of stuff that (anyone) would know would be something familiar to them, and that has been documented before.

My take on Mike is that "Tubular Bells" was more instinctive, and the rest a bit more composed, but by then he had a better sense of what to do and not do!

making the comment about GG or YES playing it is bizarre. You do know that in the early days, the preshow music for all YES shows was classical music, right? Probably due to Rick Wakeman I imagine, but even that should tell you about a massive connection with classical music!

Vangelis was like that in the early days. Mike Oldfield and David Bedford were both progressive with their compositions.

I think this is incorrect. David Bedford was very classically minded and probably helped Mike learn music and composition. David is also in the earliest albums that Mike did with Kevin Ayers, and it was there that the 17 and 18 year old learned a lot of his craft. With David around, it probably helped make Kevin a bit more defined musically than otherwise.

Progressive is being mis-represented here in my book. It was, in many ways, a lot more "individualistic" than it was "progressive", but the compositional elements made themselves clear, although "Tubular Bells" was not as clear in "composition" as it was in a series of chord and note progressions, which could be considered rock music oriented and not classically minded at all. But this is not visible in Incantations, for example.

it would be very possible that their music would resemble the vision of pure Progressive Rock composition, but because he is an instrumentalist...that's not going to happen or even sometimes make that impression on anyone in particular.

I think this is stretching it. Jon anderson might tell you something else. He did not put lyrics there because of the silence or whatever. My guess is that Jon already had this whole thing in his head before the others got a whiff of it, and they helped make it monumental is more than likely. The same goes for Ian anderson. I doubt that the music comes first in most of his work ... I think he might even tell them to go like this and like that ... it's what the musicians do to the rest of it that helps define it even better, and this is where Gentle Giant is so massive, but even Gary has stated several times ... we never wrote anything down ... it was just fun playing all these different things! .... but we can not conceive of that possibility, and perhaps that is where we go wrong?

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 18:18
Mike Oldfield has not won an Oscar.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 19:47
I am far from being as drastic as Surrealist, but he has some points. I believe that much of the magic of classic Prog came by 'the lucky arrangement of the stars'.
1. Great instrumentalists who indeed through serious training and a highly developed intimate relationship with their instrument(s) achieved that what they played could directly manifest what their mind was thinking and what their soul was feeling. 
2. The need to squeeze the most from the instruments and equipment because the technology of the times gave no other option (no switching to the next sound by just pressing a button to 'Hammond Tarkus-like percussive patch', having to craft each of your sounds consciously, one by one, turning knobs and switching patch cables and pedals on and off and switching from one instrument to another if you felt that it could better portray your thoughts and feelings). 
3. The chemistry of several such people rehearsing and playing together, live in real time, where the sum of talents often added up to much more than the simple addition of individual talents.
4. An external environment causing that what those people thought and felt was novel, bold, with a certain degree of 'culture' in it.

Some of these elements are today lost and forgotten, and while a lot of good music is still being made, it has a hard time achieving the same sense of 'authenticity' as the good classics.

Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 01:14
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Salt and pepper is the American way, but that's way too boring in Europe!

Talk about your over generalization. Ouch
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 08:15

I'm a huge Mike Oldfield fan! I've noticed on Ommadawn that his structure of music is in the Prog vain, but it's often not including a drum pattern in ALL sections  and if it did, more people would directly hear the style of Progressive Rock that they could identify with.

Careful here, because Mike is capable of doing rock'n'roll, but then his tendencies are much more classical than they are rock music oriented.

is it progressive? This is where the term is badly defined and designed.

Mike is working with about 10 to 15 to 20 staffs of music, or tracks, and he knows that the same thing can't be done on all of them (how boring and soooooooo rock'n'roll!!!!) and his sense is to do something different. This is the mark of a true composer!

For example, when he plays the bass parts on bass guitar, the sections if done differently with a full scale Prog band could easily fit the bill. However...he is an instrumentalist and sometimes in his music, he naturally creates a different sound within itself that SOMEHOW steers clear of a Progressive Rock formula. When he's recording all the instruments himself, it's most difficult to imagine his music being performed by a Prog band..

Where do you think most of "rock music" and "progressive music" came from?

They all came from the previous history of music ... that existed before they even learned their very first note! it follows that the majority of stuff that (anyone) would know would be something familiar to them, and that has been documented before.

My take on Mike is that "Tubular Bells" was more instinctive, and the rest a bit more composed, but by then he had a better sense of what to do and not do!

making the comment about GG or YES playing it is bizarre. You do know that in the early days, the preshow music for all YES shows was classical music, right? Probably due to Rick Wakeman I imagine, but even that should tell you about a massive connection with classical music!

Vangelis was like that in the early days. Mike Oldfield and David Bedford were both progressive with their compositions.

I think this is incorrect. David Bedford was very classically minded and probably helped Mike learn music and composition. David is also in the earliest albums that Mike did with Kevin Ayers, and it was there that the 17 and 18 year old learned a lot of his craft. With David around, it probably helped make Kevin a bit more defined musically than otherwise.

Progressive is being mis-represented here in my book. It was, in many ways, a lot more "individualistic" than it was "progressive", but the compositional elements made themselves clear, although "Tubular Bells" was not as clear in "composition" as it was in a series of chord and note progressions, which could be considered rock music oriented and not classically minded at all. But this is not visible in Incantations, for example.

it would be very possible that their music would resemble the vision of pure Progressive Rock composition, but because he is an instrumentalist...that's not going to happen or even sometimes make that impression on anyone in particular.

I think this is stretching it. Jon anderson might tell you something else. He did not put lyrics there because of the silence or whatever. My guess is that Jon already had this whole thing in his head before the others got a whiff of it, and they helped make it monumental is more than likely. The same goes for Ian anderson. I doubt that the music comes first in most of his work ... I think he might even tell them to go like this and like that ... it's what the musicians do to the rest of it that helps define it even better, and this is where Gentle Giant is so massive, but even Gary has stated several times ... we never wrote anything down ... it was just fun playing all these different things! .... but we can not conceive of that possibility, and perhaps that is where we go wrong?

I am only connecting David Bedford to Progressive Rock because of his track record which says that he conducted the orchestra live for Camel's Snow Goose and that he released an album in 85' titled Rigel 9 which some of the songwriting was truly reminiscent of Procol Harum. He definitely was a Classical composer and I own all of that stuff, however....he did associate himself with Progressive Rock off and on throughout the decades...plus The Odyssey brought Andy Summers and Mike Oldfield on board to add Progressive Rock guitar styles and was more of a keyboard/electronic oriented album. Yet...there was something about the album that reminded me of Progressive Rock. Whatever it was ...it remained subtle. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 14:26
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

Mike Oldfield has not won an Oscar.

Corrected El Capitan!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 14:27
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

You understand fun humor really well! Tongue
www.pedrosena.com
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 14:32

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

You understand fun humor really well! Tongue

In that case, how about this quality American album. Tongue

Want to play mafia? Visit here.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 09:14
Jethro Tull in the early days sort of mixed up  Blues, Jazz, Folk, Classical styles of music and upon first hearing their music...and having a better understanding of it, you would have to research it first by entering the public library. It would take considerable amounts of time to investigate music that derived from other cultures or even in our own which musically developed it's own voice by combining music FROM those other cultures.  No computers and the idea/dream of having a "pop up" square shaped message box on your computer screen to inform you that "here I am, click me and you'll be there too" really compares to the teenager of the 1930's who tells his family that one day we are going to land on the moon. 

When Jethro Tull entered the "so called" Progressive Rock style with Thick As A Brick, A Passion Play, Warchild, (because even though more song oriented it was complex), and Minstrel In The Gallery, professional traveling musicians ..of course had abundance of appreciation for it, but above all...were in a state of panic. Regarding Jethro Tull, this lasted on the East coast of the U.S. till about 1979 and by then social attitudes about music began to change and musicians who loved Jethro Tull had to give up performing their music live for a living and turn entirely to profiting the same money by repeating the 3 or 4 minute commercial song. Jethro Tull were a music education for all of these musicians traveling everywhere in the U.S. throughout the 70's. Their music was very challenging. For example...if you chose to cover "Black Satin Dancer" each musician would have to be skilled already and that way...it would take less time in mastering the song, but..after retaining the basis of the piece, you would have to perform it 5 or 6 nights a week. 

Playing the piece 5 or 6 nights a week in front of a crowd waiting just to see if you CAN play it is a scary situation for a musician. That really put things into perspective for us regarding Jethro Tull and just who they were and what precisely they meant to us. Jethro Tull hit the music scene in the U.S. and musicians were running to the practice room ...YET!..this was Rock music correct? This sort of event is rare in a social environment of today..(it seems?), I mean think about it? That many musicians working to master Jethro Tull music , performing it live and years later by the late 70's, they formed original Prog bands of their own and released albums on internationally known labels. 

Edited by TODDLER - December 03 2014 at 09:22
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 10:00
The classification of Mike Oldfield being Progressive Rock on this website has always created a great debate. I can offer some insight backed by my music education and personal involvement performing with Prog bands over the years. I believe Mike Oldfield technically and naturally has played some long extensive note passages on the guitar that have been reminiscent of Steve Howe's passages. This is where a few musicians cross the same path and MAY sound the same in detailed aspects of their playing due to their personal common interest in the exact same specific areas of music deriving from various cultures. One more solid observation is how the 2 of them tend to play rapidly on 1 string rather than 2 or 3. This is a commonly applied style within Traditional Irish Folk music...for example...Jigs. 

Steve Hackett has often played rapidly on 1 string and for an extensive amount of time producing a hundred notes..(as it seems like that), and also producing an atmospheric sound. Mike Oldfield is a impeccable guitarist and even though he may have crossed paths with the same exact elements of music played in the exact way that Progressive Rock musicians often do, he remains to be a instrumentalist and that alone..is not logically correct to be entered into a certain genre of music. He is one of the few artists in the world that cannot be pegged with a term and even if he is one day, it won't be totally correct logically. 
Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 22:46
I grew up with the all time greats and have an open mind but have struggled at times to find new music in the prog genre that I feel matches the best of the 70's.I do think their flames have gone out and we and they only hope to catch fire again.But overall it seems to recreate the magic is something beyond obtainable.
The only place I have found new music that gets close is in the space/psychedelic area.Some cool bands to be found.But I am open to any suggestions on music that is progressive and powerful without being to overly metal.What I liked about bands like Yes and Elp were some of the heavy duty keys to go along with the guitars.Where the keyboards are aggressive and melodic.Niacin is one band that has that attitude and musicianship.
I think prog can make a comeback based on the foundation laid down in the past.One of the biggest hurdles may be the attention spans of a lot of people. in an age of iPods where music is on the go,how many people want to sit down and stop and listen to a 30 plus minutes piece? Used to be you put on a record on and sat down and listened to it.Even myself find it hard to get a whole album listening in one time done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>