Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas the flame finally gone out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 11:08
I've been thinking about this thread. It's brought back a lot of memories I've shared with friends and like-minded souls. -Listening to music whilst being drunk or high or nothing at all but still completely taken aback by the sheer force of music.
I'd hate to think that the ritual of sitting down silently and immersing oneself into music, on some kind of a spiritual level, is a fading fad. Then again, whenever I pay a visit to Copenhagen to see friends and experience music, rock, jazz or a huge electronic event in the woods, I still bump into people who share my passion for music. Often they're only attuned into one kind of style though, but the will to explore is certainly there. 

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 10 2014 at 11:10
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 11:29
I failed to mention that these narrow-minded attitudes about music exist in many generations of people. It's some sort of snobby attitude existing between the performer and the audience for centuries. Imagine being like a Mozart and putting up with jealous attitudes from your peers and disregard that observation for a moment and consider the high percentage of Classical music community who have taken it upon themselves to form harsh attitudes about energy forces that flow through a musician playing a DIFFERENT style of music. The disrespect for Progressive Rock, Folk, Jazz and Blues revolving around their personal belief that music must be perfect in the Classical world. Other styles of music dismiss these practices because the musician's goal to obtain is found through experimentation. When I was a kid and grew up around Classical music teachers it was extremely difficult to have a conversation WITH them on the subject matter of other styles of music. I would often be told ...by them..that the music I listened to was primitive and additionally that Keith Emerson was a disgrace to the Classical world because of his fusing Rock music with music of the fine Classical composers. Most of them thought he was a "rocker" with antics and a complete fool. This attitude existed in 70' and 71' when ELP were becoming part of the norm. 

I believe John Lennon had a really great attitude about music being connected to what felt natural. In the Classical world, after you played with a few orchestra's, you might want to do a solo album. Many solo releases from internationally known Classical performers sometimes include...their own arrangements or perhaps notes diagnosed to be exacting by the manuscript ..are reflected differently by the extended time or emphasis put on a Trill. You can't really get much more freedom than that and being the reason why you have to investigate music derived from other cultures. 
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 11:57
I remember recording in Manhattan recording studios in the 80's. After the sessions, a lawyer would drive me to these after hour gatherings which included Dracula and his friends listening to John Cage. As the music of John Cage played, these people stood or sat conversing while drinking their wine. Men were dressed in expensive suits and wore white ruffled cotton shirts to give off a distinguished look...while the women wore long dresses looking like the princess bride. This was not a place to be discussing King Crimson and how fine of a drummer Michael Giles was or how Rick Wakeman just released "Six Wives:.   Maybe these people had an interest in dressing up a certain way to create something realistic in their own world, but when I mention their own world, I mean that it is a delusional place far from communication with outsiders like myself who were invited. I knew all about John Cage from teachers, but never thought people would dress up, playing his music throughout the night and breaking free of the outside forces of the world. When we have many different environments for music fans, it creates confusion and it's difficult to make observations that might sum up why music people grow to be this way. It's definitely up bringing where a child that plays an instrument everyday of he/she's life, is frequently being tormented by snooty teachers and their negative ideology about music. 

Edited by TODDLER - December 10 2014 at 12:01
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 16:27
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I've been thinking about this thread. It's brought back a lot of memories I've shared with friends and like-minded souls. -Listening to music whilst being drunk or high or nothing at all but still completely taken aback by the sheer force of music.
I'd hate to think that the ritual of sitting down silently and immersing oneself into music, on some kind of a spiritual level, is a fading fad. Then again, whenever I pay a visit to Copenhagen to see friends and experience music, rock, jazz or a huge electronic event in the woods, I still bump into people who share my passion for music. Often they're only attuned into one kind of style though, but the will to explore is certainly there. 

Boy am I with you in spirit David.  Years ago, several friends and I would gather every weekend at one dude's house for either a jam (we all played instruments), or, just to kick back and listen to an album and party.  Or watch a live DVD.  And the thing is, while the music played, there was respect for it.  You didn't talk,  you listened.  After the album was over, then you talked.  So there would be this great dynamic of partying with a group of people and experiencing music together, almost like a live show, but in his enormous basement with an amazing stereo system and killer speakers in 4 corners.  The large room was free of any objects and rock posters adorned the walls.  Active listening music is the term. 

Naturally, someone's overly drunk friend would also show up who didn't care about music, and that guy would try to blab over the loud tunes....so you'd be like....what?  what? what?  Eventually our none too bashful host would tell the guy....hey, pipe down man till the music stops

That group has mostly scattered now but I keep the spirit alive.  When I listen to music it is as reverential as it always way.  Music is as important to my happiness as food, almost.  If I were ever cast into a jail cell with no access to music....I would access the jukebox in my head all day long.  I have such a large collection in there I could rock out for a life sentenceWink

Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 01:05
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Years ago, several friends and I would gather every weekend at one dude's house for either a jam (we all played instruments), or, just to kick back and listen to an album and party.  Or watch a live DVD.  And the thing is, while the music played, there was respect for it.  You didn't talk,  you listened.  After the album was over, then you talked.  So there would be this great dynamic of partying with a group of people and experiencing music together, almost like a live show, but in his enormous basement with an amazing stereo system and killer speakers in 4 corners.  The large room was free of any objects and rock posters adorned the walls.  Active listening music is the term. 

There is no one - absolutely no one - within six hours of me (that I know) who would be willing to do this.  And that makes me sad.  I have to sit in a room alone with headphones to get the musical experience.

I even had a music teacher (a university music teacher who conducts band and plays instruments, etc.) say this to me: "You listen to music with your eyes closed and headphones on?  That's too intense for me."  I was too surprised to respond.  Maybe he was pulling my leg.
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 18:24
Originally posted by Star_Song_Age_Less Star_Song_Age_Less wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Years ago, several friends and I would gather every weekend at one dude's house for either a jam (we all played instruments), or, just to kick back and listen to an album and party.  Or watch a live DVD.  And the thing is, while the music played, there was respect for it.  You didn't talk,  you listened.  After the album was over, then you talked.  So there would be this great dynamic of partying with a group of people and experiencing music together, almost like a live show, but in his enormous basement with an amazing stereo system and killer speakers in 4 corners.  The large room was free of any objects and rock posters adorned the walls.  Active listening music is the term. 

There is no one - absolutely no one - within six hours of me (that I know) who would be willing to do this.  And that makes me sad.  I have to sit in a room alone with headphones to get the musical experience.

I even had a music teacher (a university music teacher who conducts band and plays instruments, etc.) say this to me: "You listen to music with your eyes closed and headphones on?  That's too intense for me."  I was too surprised to respond.  Maybe he was pulling my leg.

Even back then it wasn't exactly easy.  Some human beings are almost physically incapable of active listening for 40 minutes, let alone listening as a group with others for 40 minutes without speaking.  Those were some exquisite evenings.  Following the music came hours of good conversation and then trying to pilot home at 3am.  I miss those days.  Sentimental hygieneWink to borrow a phrase from Warren ZevonSmile

Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 22:26
I have to say I was lucky to have a friend that was into more or less the same music and we could so and listen to albums and enjoy the experience.Then expound upon why we likes or afterwards.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 05:55
Just got the latest issue of Gaffa, a non-genre-specific Danish music magazine.

Their "top 30 of 2014" list includes Mogwai and Swans, as well as Sunn O)))'s collaboration with Scott Walker there's the regular mentions of Mastodon and other newer hybrid genre bands with a certain degree of mainstream crossover popularity. Among the positive reviews include those of some more experimentally minded. The one of the new Pink Floyd album is somewhat lukewarm.

I think the issue is that while 1960s/1970s-style progressive/psychedelic rock has experienced a surge in popularity, it's still as a niche audience except a handful of crossover artists compared to the high level of mainstream popularity it had back in its "golden age". What further complicates the whole question is whether to include distantly related genres, or musicians that might have a similar avantgarde/experimental ethos, into the "progressive music" category even if their music does not bear much of an apparent resemblance to the origin in terms of actual style. If you want to be glib, you could call it the difference between "progressive" and "prog". The former would refer to the ethos, the latter to the style.

When it comes to the metal scene doing much of the heavy lifting (pun not intended) with keeping instrumentally complex or interesting guitar music alive, there's also the further complication that it's currently going through a major retro/oldschool revivalist phase which often takes a rather anti-intellectual turn, or at least suspicion towards bands whose aesthetic frame of reference gets too close to "high culture". The consequence is that the prog/avantgarde metal scene now seems to be increasingly segregated audience-wise from the "regular" metal scene as much as from the prog rock scene, with the exception of those bands who either have enough street cred through connection to the old school (e. g. Virus) or are sufficiently "true" in their imagery/aesthetic (e. g. Morbus Chron). I think rogerthat mentioned that earlier in the thread...
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 18:42
NEVER!!!!!   
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 18:52
Yes, the flame has finally gone out; fortunately, we have other technological means -- someone hand the gentleman a flashlight!
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 18:55
^Oh man! Don't tell prog died again! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 00:29
Prog has as many lives as it has potential movements per song. :)
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 00:43
There are a lot of prog bands and so many prog albums coming out all over.  But how many of these bands are regularly playing live or better yet, touring?

If I want to go out and see live prog tomorrow night, I won't have many options.  Probably none.
Musicians like performing for an audience.  It's harder and harder to convince good musicians to learn challenging complex music, endless rehearsals, then play for free to 12 people.  That only happens if each band member can get 3 friends to promise to show up.  Only two show up, but there are a couple of waitresses, as sound and light guy and a bouncer so it seems like 12.

Building an audience can take a long time especially starting from ground zero.  A prog band has a big challenge because the ears of today's listeners outside of this forum are pretty dumbed down, and you can't dance to too many prog bands.  Clubs aren't booking new prog acts very often because they know they don't draw.  It's a vicious cycle that doesn't lend itself to a healthy growth rate of the genre in the real world of live music. 

Reminds me of Anne Haslam singing "Cold as Being" off "Turn of the Cards".

Edited by Skullhead - December 20 2014 at 00:45
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 02:16
Originally posted by Skullhead Skullhead wrote:

There are a lot of prog bands and so many prog albums coming out all over.  But how many of these bands are regularly playing live or better yet, touring?

If I want to go out and see live prog tomorrow night, I won't have many options.
  Probably none.
Musicians like performing for an audience.  It's harder and harder to convince good musicians to learn challenging complex music, endless rehearsals, then play for free to 12 people.  That only happens if each band member can get 3 friends to promise to show up.  Only two show up, but there are a couple of waitresses, as sound and light guy and a bouncer so it seems like 12.

Building an audience can take a long time especially starting from ground zero.  A prog band has a big challenge because the ears of today's listeners outside of this forum are pretty dumbed down, and you can't dance to too many prog bands.  Clubs aren't booking new prog acts very often because they know they don't draw.  It's a vicious cycle that doesn't lend itself to a healthy growth rate of the genre in the real world of live music. 

Reminds me of Anne Haslam singing "Cold as Being" off "Turn of the Cards".

Would it be an argument for "the flame that finally gone out"? I don't think so, because prog never was primarily a live phenomenon.

Edited by Svetonio - December 20 2014 at 02:20
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 02:25
Actually there is still plenty of following for prog outside places like this forum as well.  Karnivool had come down here in India few years back and played at one of its premier colleges.  Now, bands like PT or PoS coming down is not a big surprise because they are a lot more well known in rock circles but Karnivool not to the same extent and yet my cousin travelled a few hundred miles to see them.  Even if suppose the majority of listeners want it dumbed down (and I don't know that that's true), even the minority that likes complex music is a sizable number in absolute terms.  

The problem is prog is outside the mainstream and has been that way ostensibly since the 70s and prog lacks the almost religious cult-like passion that metal evokes.  Metal's underground network is much stronger and word about good bands travels much faster than in prog.  So it is simply very hard to get to know about up and coming bands until they reach the size of Karnivool who were already big enough to be able to afford travelling to another continent to perform.  And as the generation that witnessed the birth of prog (and therefore is probably more invested in following the genre) grows older, this problem will continue to haunt prog.  I really doubt that with titles like Back in the world of adventures, bands like TFK were going ONLY after youngsters.  They must have surely had the nostalgic appeal of prog to older fans in mind too.  IIRC Dean once mentioned that at the Karnataka concert he had attended, most members of the audience were in their 40s or so.   If prog is promoted to youngsters, it could lap up colleges first and eventually halls and arenas.  As Sventonio said, it seems promoters have already decided that prog would not be seen as 'relevant' for youngsters and with little visibility, it is but natural that it is difficult for a prog rock band to get a sizable audience. 
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 04:38
There actually seems to be a similar underground network here in Denmark around psychedelic music, see the Bad Afro and El Paraiso record labels for two examples and the Copenhagen Psych Festival for another, which does have some overlap with progressive rock though the prog-rock scene would eventually branch off into its own identity.

I've also noticed that some prog rock groups have been able to piggyback unto metal's underground(-ish) network, through record labels like Inside Out.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 12:56
I have found that speaking with young classical musicians, most of them have no interest in prog.  To me, it's critical that they do, because they should be the ones making it.  What is surprising is how many of them like modern hip hop and pop music.  Probably so they don't feel too alienated from their peers and culture. 

What initially drew me towards prog as a youth was the drumming.  The non rock syncopated playing that was more in line with jazz than rock.  But that fusion of backing big melodic complex structures with the feel of rhythmic jazz improvisation in the rhythm section was absolute magic.  I liked that the prog drum kits didn't limit themselves to the basic stripped down jazz kit, but could include endless colors of percussion ensemble and even roto toms.  Why not have more options?  The traditional jazz thinking of limiting the kit to kick, snare, high hat, ride, and two toms is pretty narrow minded thinking.  The rock guys had bigger kits, but the playing lacked any swing.  The defining element of prog for me is the drumming.  It's a jazz guy on a rock kit who is open to playing more that just jazz, but has the jazz chops for the odd metering and great hi hat work like Phil Collins, or Bruford did so well as many other prog drummers.

The prog metal doesn't swing.  The drumming, while complex, lacks the feel and dynamic of a great prog drummer.  The early prog drummers were finger players, not arm players.  There is a technique taught in jazz circles about controlling the dynamic of the strike with the fingers, or controlling the bounce of the stick with the either the middle, ring or pinky fingers depending upon fulcrum and leverage points.  I don't see anyone doing that in prog or in metal.  It's more about loud and volume and arm and wrist playing.  A good drummer knows what I am getting at here.

Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 14:23

Quote Would it be an argument for "the flame that finally gone out"? I don't think so, because prog never was primarily a live phenomenon.

I don't understand this comment.  Please explain.

When I think of the great Prog Bands I think of the bands that executed the material live often taking the music to a whole new level.

Jethro Tull had amazing live shows as did Yes, Genesis, ELP, King Crimson and Gentle Giant. Pink Floyd was totally over the top staging and theatrics.
Back in the golden age of prog, it was required of the bands that they were able to pull it off live.
I remember wondering how Rush would execute 2112 or La Villa Strangiato when in concert.
Even a modern prog like Dream Theater is out doing their thing live and amazing fans with their ability to perform the pieces competently in a live situation and not just worked up on the computer with studio trickery.

Would love to hear why you think prog was never primarily a live phenomenon.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 15:59
^ You was written "If I want to go out and see live prog tomorrow night, I won't have many options". Well, if you are not resident in a major art & musical center as e.g. New York, London or Paris where every night something happens somewhere, you will hardly listen to some young, virtualy unknown but good prog rock band in a small town or a village and yet so often that you can just "go out and see live prog", simply because prog never was something like a pub rock.

If you or somebody else can not see a live prog rock band, say, 'down on the corner', and yet almost everynight, it is not a valid argument that "the flame has finally gone out". I can see that you want to prove it so feverishly but then have to find a valid argument for that.

Edited by Svetonio - December 20 2014 at 16:22
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 16:34
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

^ You was written "If I want to go out and see live prog tomorrow night, I won't have many options". Well, if you are not resident in a major art & musical center as e.g. New York, London or Paris where every night something happens somewhere, you will hardly listen to some young, virtualy unknown but good prog rock band in a small town or a village and yet so often that you can just "go out and see live prog", simply because prog never was something like a pub rock.

If you or somebody else can not see a live prog rock band, say, 'down on the corner', and yet almost everynight, it is not a valid argument that "the flame has finally gone out". I can see that you want to prove it so feverishly but then have to find a valid argument for that.

Do what I did.  Pick up a guitar or bass (or drumsticks or keyboards), listen, learn and play.  

I've learned that there are tons of progressive musicians working in music stores, giving lessons, quietly practicing their craft.   Once I began looking, it wasn't hard to find kindred souls. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>