Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas the flame finally gone out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 17:11
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

(...)

The problem is prog is outside the mainstream and has been that way ostensibly since the 70s and prog lacks the almost religious cult-like passion that metal evokes.  Metal's underground network is much stronger and word about good bands travels much faster than in prog. (...)  If prog is promoted to youngsters, it could lap up colleges first and eventually halls and arenas.  As Sventonio said, it seems promoters have already decided that prog would not be seen as 'relevant' for youngsters and with little visibility, it is but natural that it is difficult for a prog rock band to get a sizable audience. 
Prog has always been and always will be, by its nature, an art rather than just entertainment, and as such, prog is in a vacuum now more than even before. I mean, the big promoters & major festivals do not see prog anymore as an opportunity to earn or, in my humble opinion, they just don't care of contemporary, young prog bands; that prog lies far beyond their radar. 
On the other hand, those state institutions and (or) NGOs whose job it is to fund the arts, do not see prog as an art because for them prog rock is (of course I have no doubt that there are a few exceptions) still to be a part of the great rock and roll party and, consenquently, they do not finance "entertainers"; so they will always give a nice money for any bullsh*t conceptual art project but not to fund some young prog band to record their album in a professional studio, to pay a professional artwork and to organize a complete promotion of that album.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 17:15
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

^ You was written "If I want to go out and see live prog tomorrow night, I won't have many options". Well, if you are not resident in a major art & musical center as e.g. New York, London or Paris where every night something happens somewhere, you will hardly listen to some young, virtualy unknown but good prog rock band in a small town or a village and yet so often that you can just "go out and see live prog", simply because prog never was something like a pub rock.

If you or somebody else can not see a live prog rock band, say, 'down on the corner', and yet almost everynight, it is not a valid argument that "the flame has finally gone out". I can see that you want to prove it so feverishly but then have to find a valid argument for that.

Do what I did.  Pick up a guitar or bass (or drumsticks or keyboards), listen, learn and play.  

I've learned that there are tons of progressive musicians working in music stores, giving lessons, quietly practicing their craft.   Once I began looking, it wasn't hard to find kindred souls. 
I agree with you 100% but personally I can't do that 'cause I'm just a fan Embarrassed
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 17:21
It's a backwards way of looking at things. Before promoters and festivals are willing to support young prog bands, they need to know there is a crowd for it. Simple as. You don't put up a program of music, if it only attracts 7 people.
We talk about it all the time: why isn't there any more prog fans (dammit!!!), but then again we also keep telling stories of all the failures we've been through trying to get family, friends and well anyone really to get into prog.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 17:48
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

(...) Before promoters and festivals are willing to support young prog bands, they need to know there is a crowd for it. Simple as. You don't put up a program of music, if it only attracts 7 people. (...)
Nah. They can't know in advance with certainty that some contemporary prog band will have no response from the audience; they just do not want to risk one dollar anymore because of that terrible fear of be deleted of managerial work in the corporation, and yet in combination with a desire for enormous profits, their consciousness, their awareness of the world around them, is clouded a long time ago.

Edited by Svetonio - December 20 2014 at 17:56
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 20:37
Originally posted by Skullhead Skullhead wrote:

I have found that speaking with young classical musicians, most of them have no interest in prog.  To me, it's critical that they do, because they should be the ones making it.  What is surprising is how many of them like modern hip hop and pop music.  Probably so they don't feel too alienated from their peers and culture. 

What initially drew me towards prog as a youth was the drumming.  The non rock syncopated playing that was more in line with jazz than rock.  But that fusion of backing big melodic complex structures with the feel of rhythmic jazz improvisation in the rhythm section was absolute magic.  I liked that the prog drum kits didn't limit themselves to the basic stripped down jazz kit, but could include endless colors of percussion ensemble and even roto toms.  Why not have more options?  The traditional jazz thinking of limiting the kit to kick, snare, high hat, ride, and two toms is pretty narrow minded thinking.  The rock guys had bigger kits, but the playing lacked any swing.  The defining element of prog for me is the drumming.  It's a jazz guy on a rock kit who is open to playing more that just jazz, but has the jazz chops for the odd metering and great hi hat work like Phil Collins, or Bruford did so well as many other prog drummers.

The prog metal doesn't swing.  The drumming, while complex, lacks the feel and dynamic of a great prog drummer.  The early prog drummers were finger players, not arm players.  There is a technique taught in jazz circles about controlling the dynamic of the strike with the fingers, or controlling the bounce of the stick with the either the middle, ring or pinky fingers depending upon fulcrum and leverage points.  I don't see anyone doing that in prog or in metal.  It's more about loud and volume and arm and wrist playing.  A good drummer knows what I am getting at here.

I am not a drummer but I am quite sure that both Gavin Harrison and Marco Minneman do that finger drumming stuff you talked about.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 00:18

It's a backwards way of looking at things. Before promoters and festivals are willing to support young prog bands, they need to know there is a crowd for it. Simple as. You don't put up a program of music, if it only attracts 7 people.

I disagree.  I lived in Tulsa, OK which had a very underground prog music scene.  Lon Jones, one of Bob Fripp's first Guitar Craft students, had a little band called CAVU ("ceiling and visibility unlimited"), and he played some very tiny little crowds.  I joined as bassist, and we ended up playing some huge festivals.  

The first prog bands had notoriously difficult beginnings, including Genesis, Yes and King Crimson.  It's up to the musicians to persist with their artistic vision.  I'm not sure that today's youth have this drive, but I'm willing to bet there are still some examples out there.  
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 02:41

I have found that speaking with young classical musicians, most of them have no interest in prog.  To me, it's critical that they do, because they should be the ones making it.  What is surprising is how many of them like modern hip hop and pop music.  Probably so they don't feel too alienated from their peers and culture. 

What initially drew me towards prog as a youth was the drumming.  The non rock syncopated playing that was more in line with jazz than rock.  But that fusion of backing big melodic complex structures with the feel of rhythmic jazz improvisation in the rhythm section was absolute magic.  I liked that the prog drum kits didn't limit themselves to the basic stripped down jazz kit, but could include endless colors of percussion ensemble and even roto toms.  Why not have more options?  The traditional jazz thinking of limiting the kit to kick, snare, high hat, ride, and two toms is pretty narrow minded thinking.  The rock guys had bigger kits, but the playing lacked any swing.  The defining element of prog for me is the drumming.  It's a jazz guy on a rock kit who is open to playing more that just jazz, but has the jazz chops for the odd metering and great hi hat work like Phil Collins, or Bruford did so well as many other prog drummers.

The prog metal doesn't swing.  The drumming, while complex, lacks the feel and dynamic of a great prog drummer.  The early prog drummers were finger players, not arm players.  There is a technique taught in jazz circles about controlling the dynamic of the strike with the fingers, or controlling the bounce of the stick with the either the middle, ring or pinky fingers depending upon fulcrum and leverage points.  I don't see anyone doing that in prog or in metal.  It's more about loud and volume and arm and wrist playing.  A good drummer knows what I am getting at here.

I am not a drummer but I am quite sure that both Gavin Harrison and Marco Minneman do that finger drumming stuff you talked about.

I just saw Gavin playing with Fripp and he was showing exactly that kind of technique.  But not all of these prog drummers are doing that. 
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 04:34

Speaking as an aspiring young classical musician... I think your expectations here are very strange. You're right, most don't like prog. Many almost solely listen to classical music, viewing listening and performing as part of the same sphere; many others, as you say, listen to top 40, and completely separate their listening and performing. They don't listen to top 40 so as not to feel alienated (which is a ridiculous idea), they listen to it because they like it, surprise surprise! And that's perfectly okay, you know. It's not critical that classical musicians are interested in prog, and it's not even 'critical' that people continue making prog at all. I obviously hope they do, but it will up to people who actually enjoy the genre, regardless of their musical training.

benbell View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 04:45

I just saw Gavin playing with Fripp and he was showing exactly that kind of technique.  But not all of these prog drummers are doing that. 

I don't know how he plays it (I'm guessing it's still wrist as the general feel is quite snappy), but I remember being surprised at the delicacy of Martin Axenrot's work on parts of Opeth's Watershed. I think it was particularly on Hessian Peel (from memory). It's mostly a heavy album but there's a definite jazz influence to some of the drumming in the subtler parts.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 14:46

It was a great show, wasn't it?  All three drummers were sublime, I especially enjoyed Gavin!  This was the Chicago show stage, just before the concert.

Edited by cstack3 - December 21 2014 at 14:51
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 14:59
It's sad to think these acts like King Crimson will not be around much longer.  Ian Anderson, Yes, are still going... but how much longer? 

As much as I like some of the second generation prog like Spock's or Flower Kings, that stuff sounds basically derivative of the 70's stuff.

I miss the uniqueness and innovation of the great 70's prog acts. 
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 18:09

It's sad to think these acts like King Crimson will not be around much longer.  Ian Anderson, Yes, are still going... but how much longer? 

As much as I like some of the second generation prog like Spock's or Flower Kings, that stuff sounds basically derivative of the 70's stuff.

You have to have a "new ears" for new prog.
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 19:35

That would make sense...
what are you focusing on?

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 23:49

That would make sense...
what are you focusing on?

I am always focused on a band that I'm currently listening; such band is often completely unknown to me as a new band that brought a new sensibility to me and then I listen with "new ears" which "grow" again with every new prog bands that I listen to.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 08:41

I disagree.  I lived in Tulsa, OK which had a very underground prog music scene.  Lon Jones, one of Bob Fripp's first Guitar Craft students, had a little band called CAVU ("ceiling and visibility unlimited"), and he played some very tiny little crowds.  I joined as bassist, and we ended up playing some huge festivals.

This is awesome! From road experience, my observation is that these are isolated events that occur in certain cities/places in the United States. That meaning of course..that it leaves a very huge portion of our country empty and distant from Prog socially. So...for me, I was more personally offended as a young 20 year old when that social break materialized. I obviously witnessed many Prog bands in the late 70's breaking up over this change of direction in business.  

The first prog bands had notoriously difficult beginnings, including Genesis, Yes and King Crimson.  It's up to the musicians to persist with their artistic vision.  I'm not sure that today's youth have this drive, but I'm willing to bet there are still some examples out there.  

You must be a "do it yourself" Progger. I've done the same , but sometimes it's hard to invest and lose everything in the end. When you take it that seriously and lose thousands over it...you become very discouraged and may run off and join a working Jazz trio. It's a crazy business ...some Prog musicians I know gave up and became farmers. Very strange indeed. I suppose they just couldn't take touring anymore.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 09:31
It's easy to find the right musicians for your Prog band ..if they hear your demo and are simply interested. However..lack of funds will discourage those musicians..so you must go to them with a plan ready to be active. I disregard using a digital studio at home and instead, I look up some sound tech who mixed for Prog bands in the 70's and 80's. We already respect each other...but...now I must find something to offer this sound tech. Maybe a separate session I could do for him/her and in the end our session might cost less. Then comes the task of getting the band to perform live on a bill with other progressive bands. This usually takes place in the larger cities of my area and it's basically all the independent original Prog bands playing these little "hole in the wall" type joints and hardly getting paid enough for the gas money that takes them over the bridge. Some "rat holes" provide a house lightshow and soundman. This is very ideal because you get to keep your 20 dollarsClap and buy a hot turkey sandwich at WAWA on the way home. In any event, you have to eat something because your driving over the bridge and the sun is shooting it's rays into your windshield and your face. Your ears are ringing because you just got off stage.

If you have to pay for a soundman..you'll be lucky to find one that works for a hundred dollars a night. This is taken into account if you own the P.A. and lights, but another problem presents itself and that is understanding the venues policies. They may demand for someone to arrive 3 hours prior to show time and set the P.A. and lights up. Someway, somehow,...you have to rise above "rat holes" and get on the theater circuit, playing your original Prog and taking chances. I've always managed to make contact with the most professional and sincere people who help me to accomplish this. I don't require a day job because I am in demand on different circuits and constantly working weddings, clubs, bars, and casinos. It's cool to run across someone I knew in the 70's from a once internationally known band and chat. This is more fun than the music we play and we are all very aware of that. I miss playing Prog in a live situation and hope 1 day to cross paths with a Prog band that is somewhat established, but if some entertainer that plays theaters asks me to travel to Holland..I must take that opportunity over the choice of Prog for the sake of my children. It's a scary... sometimes depressing business. If you are working with the right musicians, they will keep you positive...although you are always working/living in a world that is very separate from the norm that keeps Amercia's soft machine running.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 23:55
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

This is awesome! From road experience, my observation is that these are isolated events that occur in certain cities/places in the United States. That meaning of course..that it leaves a very huge portion of our country empty and distant from Prog socially. So...for me, I was more personally offended as a young 20 year old when that social break materialized. I obviously witnessed many Prog bands in the late 70's breaking up over this change of direction in business.  

You must be a "do it yourself" Progger. I've done the same , but sometimes it's hard to invest and lose everything in the end. When you take it that seriously and lose thousands over it...you become very discouraged and may run off and join a working Jazz trio. It's a crazy business ...some Prog musicians I know gave up and became farmers. Very strange indeed. I suppose they just couldn't take touring anymore.

Thanks, Toddler!  I'm strictly a hobby musician, although plenty good enough to have hit the tour circuit.  If I had applied myself in my early 20's, I would have given Chris Squire a run for it!  LOL

I find that 70's style prog is notoriously easy to play, compared to be-bop jazz etc.  Stick a fuzz tone & volume pedal on a Les Paul, play a bunch of pentatonics & Devils Chords and VOILA!  Instant Fripp!  
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 04:56

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Thanks, Toddler!  I'm strictly a hobby musician, although plenty good enough to have hit the tour circuit.  If I had applied myself in my early 20's, I would have given Chris Squire a run for it!  LOL

I find that 70's style prog is notoriously easy to play, compared to be-bop jazz etc.  Stick a fuzz tone & volume pedal on a Les Paul, play a bunch of pentatonics & Devils Chords and VOILA!  Instant Fripp!  

I'd love to hear you play one day. Let me know if there are vids of you.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 08:30

So does Klaus Schulze!!!! Doesn't really mean anything i don't think. I do the same thing, even though I'm pretty sure I'm out of time. But it makes your body want to live with it!

(Check the Das Rheingold CD and the extras)
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 08:46

I know this may not sound right ... but in all honesty, they need to go. And one day, a lot of these folks that are indoctrinated into the top ten will wake up, and a new revolution will start ... with new music!

I guess that now we have to go back and do the chariot things again!

Let it go!

If Robert is not willing, to share the music because of whatever standards he has, it will be his loss and something for his family/estate to fight later ... and have more hassles with later ... and the music will die. It's his loss, and his family's.

Now stop punishing him, and let it go! It's his choice! I do not want to drive a Model T any more than I want a stupid roman chariot to chase .......
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>