Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas the flame finally gone out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 01:30
When I listen to most of the new prog, it sounds much more complex than a lot of the stuff in the past, but I just picture a kid on a computer spending months cutting and pasting sound files.

When I listen to 70s prog I feel an entire band working together and it feels more live and connected to me.  I know they tracked things then also, but it seems to feel more live.  hard to explain I guess.  I just don't get the chills down my spine from the new stuff very often. 

I did like Bard's first album.  That sounded pretty good to me.

How are they doing anyway? Anyone know?

jacksiedanny View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 09:30
Sorry if im repeating anything, but Im not about to read the 15 pages in this thread:

Here are a few cornerstone bands that have returned with a vengance and true to form (in say the last two years) after making two decades worth sharn:

DEEP PURPLE - NOW WHAT?? ( actually just heard this first time yesterday. Holy fox! "Rapture of the Deep" cd was quite good, but THIS! True, most of the origional band is gone - only Gillian & Glover - but its amazing how much Morse can sound like Ritchie and Airey like Jon. Not a bad track. Simply amazing. More room given to Airey's solos on this one. Much, much recommended.)

BLACK SABBATH after TONS of sh*t, return to form on two cds

SCHULTZE    out of his doldrums finally

HAWKWIND

There were more - I did a thread on this on another forum a month or so back, but forgot now.....

And at least 10 remarkable Ital prog reunions: Latte Mielle,RDM,Ossana.....and I just heard the new Maxophone "Live Tokyo". Simply stunning - using the synth to get the orig French horn.< id="WebWizRTE" ="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/RTE_.asp?mode=reply&ID=0&CACHE=349" style="border: 1px solid rgb165, 172, 178;" ="initialiseWebWizRTE;" ="20" height="300" width="650">Alphataurus
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 10:02

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It's a backwards way of looking at things. Before promoters and festivals are willing to support young prog bands, they need to know there is a crowd for it. Simple as. You don't put up a program of music, if it only attracts 7 people.

I disagree.  I lived in Tulsa, OK which had a very underground prog music scene.  Lon Jones, one of Bob Fripp's first Guitar Craft students, had a little band called CAVU ("ceiling and visibility unlimited"), and he played some very tiny little crowds.  I joined as bassist, and we ended up playing some huge festivals. 

The first prog bands had notoriously difficult beginnings, including Genesis, Yes and King Crimson.  It's up to the musicians to persist with their artistic vision.  I'm not sure that today's youth have this drive, but I'm willing to bet there are still some examples out there. 

Thanks Chuck.

Guld ... if you don't believe me, you should really ready Guy Guden's blog and check out his history of his 25some years on the air playing nothing but "imports" at the time, and later became called "progressive".

Just to give you an idea, and I have it on tape (can't share it unfortunately per Guy), there is a type of megalomania and stupidity that circles most radio stations, and it also affected the early FM stations with the new material. Here is the exchange ... slightly translated ... Guy starts Golden Earring "Are You Receiving Me?" and another jock makes a point of going over it and say that "it's not rock'n'roll" ... and Guy stopped the album all the way to stop and said "Who cares? It's great music!" and restarted it up!

Some of these folks only know the top ten and how everything else they like sounds exactly the same as all the others! They have no idea what "music" is!

And the biggest problem we have? The Top Ten here ... and everyone looking for music that is EXACTLY like that top ten ... so "progressive" must have the keyboards of an ELP or Genesis ... and other BS out there on the most uneducated and stupid definition of music ever created!

Sorry ... and Guld ... you really should study the history of music a little ... it's always been about ... "something different" ... and yes, some of it you and I would say it was crap, but a lot of it is remembered. Why? It was different at the time and put up with the same disrespect! As a joke ... go see "Amadeus" when the king says ... "too many notes"  ... and we say the same thing about almost all the "metal" bands, and Jon McLoughlin and so many others!

Should tell you we're not listening to anything else but the notes! I hardly think that person is a good one to be incvolved in the "definition" of "MUSIC".

Edited by moshkito - February 08 2015 at 10:02
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 16:01
yes it has, stay narrow-mindedly focused on the 1970's - only this will ever make you happy...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 16:21
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

yes it has, stay narrow-mindedly focused on the 1970's - only this will ever make you happy...
Damned post-hippy old-fogie progsters!
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 05:28
Originally posted by Skullhead Skullhead wrote:

When I listen to most of the new prog, it sounds much more complex than a lot of the stuff in the past, but I just picture a kid on a computer spending months cutting and pasting sound files.

Is all in the mind !!
You think you get something "natural", but at the same time you know its not true.
The 70's was full of tape manipulations, electronic keyboaders with buttons, overdups, ect.
Actualy the 70's was a period where you got respect im you made a record full of all these things, because it was new and not tried before.

If you "need" the real deal, burn all your Rock records, and start going to Classical Concerts. Rock has (almost) allways been about electronic treatment of sound (starting with electric amplifires and pedals) 

Edited by tamijo - February 09 2015 at 05:33
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 08:09
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Damned post-hippy old-fogie progsters!

yeah ... but the dope was great, the girls better and the music .... outtasight!

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

The 70's was full of tape manipulations, electronic keyboaders with buttons, overdups, ect.
Actualy the 70's was a period where you got respect im you made a record full of all these things, because it was new and not tried before....

We should correct this ... a lot less overdubs because it was not as easy on those TEAC's to do so ... by comparison, today you do 1457 overdubs to 2 of those on the TEAC!  Confused

It looked like things like Beatles, and this and that had many overdone dubs and all that, but -- really -- nothing by comparison to the abilities today with DAW's that are killing the freshness in music because most players simply don't know when to stop and let it go!  In those days it was too expensive to do all the studio stuff and more musicians learned to "let it go" ... today, this is a joke about doing NOTHING, because auto-tune or something or other can fix it for you!

Edited by moshkito - February 09 2015 at 08:13
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
jacksiedanny View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 08:16
I was just about to bring up the same point.

Another great "re-formation" cd - STRAWBS "pROGTASTICAL" (or something like that).
But I guess it doesn't really count in the context of this thread cos Strawbs never really went away (many resurfacings) and the cd - however fine - is mainly re-workings.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 08:39
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

The 70's was full of tape manipulations, electronic keyboaders with buttons, overdups, ect.
Actualy the 70's was a period where you got respect im you made a record full of all these things, because it was new and not tried before....

We should correct this ... a lot less overdubs because it was not as easy on those TEAC's to do so ... by comparison, today you do 1457 overdubs to 2 of those on the TEAC!  Confused

It looked like things like Beatles, and this and that had many overdone dubs and all that, but -- really -- nothing by comparison to the abilities today with DAW's that are killing the freshness in music because most players simply don't know when to stop and let it go!  In those days it was too expensive to do all the studio stuff and more musicians learned to "let it go" ... today, this is a joke about doing NOTHING, because auto-tune or something or other can fix it for you!

I did not compare to todays music, I said it was beeing done. 
A series of Pedals and Instruments like the Mellotron was invented to make effekts, making Music less and less acustic and more and more Electronic. That all started back in the late 60's early 70's
Todays use of electronic devises, is just an extension in a development started back then. The Computer is just another studio effect on top of the others.  

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 08:46
If you do 1457 overdubs, i guess it would sound a bit messy
But offcourse it could be done.

Edited by tamijo - February 09 2015 at 08:47
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 08:54

If tech was the only thing everyone would be able to do better records today, but the fact is that everyone is strugling to do as good as the old masters. To me that proves that tech dosent help you much, if your basic consept is not great. But is does not prove that it is impossible to do as good or better records with modern tech.

progpositivity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 20:57

Genesis diluted the prog out of their music over the years... Pink Floyd drifted away from their experimental sensibility as they explored art rock during the 70's and then abandoned it altogether after "The Final Cut" IMO.  (They still offer up some tasty smooth jams, but they settled in and quit trying to push the envelope...) 

On the other hand...

Ian Anderson is still doing some very cool solo stuff IMO. 

I can honestly say I really enjoyed "A Grounding in Numbers" by Van Der Graaf Generator in 2011. 

I loved much of Happy with What You Have to Be Happy With by King Crimson.

I love classic Yes.  I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed Fly From Here.  Heaven and Earth, on the other hand, sounds tepid to me.  Magnification had some good moments for me.   

Even Keith Emerson has rebounded back and now manages to do some cool stuff every now and again don't you think?

So I'll say the prog giants are 'hit and miss' these days, which is quite understandable.  

Truth be told, most of them were hit and miss all along.  The didn't bat a thousand even in their prime.

Has their slugging percentage slumped down toward the end of their careers?  Sure.  But so did Hank Aaron's.  He hit 40 HR's in 1973, 20 in '74, 12 in '75, 10 in '76, and that was the end.  But he had 755 over the course of his career.  That's incredible.  And each one of these final 10 HR's in '76 was a great opportunity for fans to remember and cheer the entire body of work.

That's the way I feel about these proggers who are brave enough to try their hand at another album after the age 55 or 60.   

Oh - btw - Focus came out with a relatively recent album of new material which I really liked... "X" was the name of it I think...  

Sorry for turning this post into a baseball analogy... I really wandered into left field I guess.  ;-)

Prog On!

Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 01:26
^ both redoubtable keyboard 'villians' Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman have made some cool stuff in recent years. I like both Retro albums and also Out There by RW and Keith Emerson has formed a strong partnership with Marc Bonilla. Everything they have done together is at least good and sometimes excellent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415