Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why Steve Wilson didn't produce Edison's Children
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy Steve Wilson didn't produce Edison's Children

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Steve Wilson didn't produce Edison's Children
    Posted: November 11 2014 at 15:50
I had heard rumors that Steve Wilson was supposed to be producing the 2nd Edison's Children album but when it was released, it was produced by 
- Steve Hackett/King Crimson Lead Singer "Jakko"
- Arena/Frost/It Bites' Lead Guitarist John Mitchell. 

Finally after a year of quiet about the whole thing, Pete Trewavas (Transatlantic's bassist) mentioned during the 4 hour House of Prog "Edison's Children radio takeover" interview on Friday that Steve Wilson was perhaps going to look into doing it but was about to embark on his tour of Australia and rehearsals were really gearing up and he wouldn't have finished producing the album in time for a christmas release last year. 

Steve Wilson instead recommended that E.C. use Jakko as he had just taken over as the lead singer of King Crimson and had been doing some mixing/producing as well as being on tour with Steve Hackett. John Mitchell was also good friends with Pete Trewavas and they were together in Kino. 

Between Jakko and John Mitchell, they got the album out just before New Years eve for Pete and Steve did his very successful tour of Australia.

Thought it all very intersting how and why that all turned out the way it did, finally.
Let's make Prog a family again. Tired of Snobbery and trolling. We all have a right to love what and who we love so lets respect and appreciate all who care about the finest music in the world... prog
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 16:34
The thread title is pretty funny if you read it out of context. :)
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 16:47
yeah. I got a chuckle out of that as well, I was going to post a double entendre about how he was too busy doing 5.1 mixes of KC albums, Yes albums and Deee-Lite's seminal classic and god knows what else to have a sex life but didn't out of respect to the OP. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Shrubbery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 16:48
LOL!!
I can probably think of a few more anatomic reasons!

Now that E.C. has come out to say there will be a 3rd album forthcoming, (and interestingly Steve Wilson has shown up at a recent Marillion show to see Pete Trewavas), Hopefully he will announce that he will "produce Edison's Children" and add "a miracle of modern science" to his resume (though that's gotta hurt).

Edited by The Shrubbery - November 11 2014 at 16:53
Let's make Prog a family again. Tired of Snobbery and trolling. We all have a right to love what and who we love so lets respect and appreciate all who care about the finest music in the world... prog
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 16:50
Originally posted by The Shrubbery The Shrubbery wrote:

LOL!!
I can probably think of a few more anatomic reasons!

LOL yes there is that as well
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 17:29
Who's Steve Wilson?

Wink...no really who is Steve Wilson?? Big smile
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 17:32
Well, my gut reaction was "because Steven Wilson has far better taste than that and has far more interesting projects to occupy his time than some stuffy bland old-man prog..."

Sorry, it's been a grumpy morning, need some coffee or one of those energy drinks that taste like battery acid!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 17:54
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Well, my gut reaction was "because Steven Wilson has far better taste than that and has far more interesting projects to occupy his time than some stuffy bland old-man prog..."

Sorry, it's been a grumpy morning, need some coffee or one of those energy drinks that taste like battery acid!

OMG that is funny......Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 17:58

well i have to say that if that's what edison's children is all about then i'm definitely into stuffy bland old-man prog. 

I have no idea what you are talking about man. They write melodic non-old man prog type music. They are absolutely nothing like what you just described. It would be funny if you said this about recent King Crimson or something of the sort.. but E.C. is a very Pink Floyd like band based purely on melody and not on hackneyed phrases and time-signatures that make no sense just for the sake of it. 

Maybe you should listen to them. I think you would be very very surprised

Don't think that just because Pete Trewavas is with Portnoy and Transatlantic  that they sound like that. It's actually quite the opposite (they don't sound anything like Marillion either...)

Edited by The Shrubbery - November 11 2014 at 18:02
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 18:05
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Who's Steve Wilson?
Wink...no really who is Steve Wilson?? Big smile

That's who:

http://www.stevewilsonmusic.com

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 18:13
God I remember the good times we had when he was member here. Good times! The fanboys threw their jockies at him, others, the PA's forum terror squad led by a certain merry prankster  had a bit of fun with him.

No wonder he never came back LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 18:22
who wilson? Steven Wilson was a member of prog-archives?

and yes I know that I wrote Steve Wilson instead of Steven Wilson. What I originally wrote didn't fit so I shortened it to Steve Wilson and then shortened another word and then when I went back to edit my post and put Steven Wilson back because it now fit, I wasn't allowed to change it any more. I know it's Steven, I've seen Porcupine Tree live 3 times and Steve Wilson once.

I mean Steven    Censored

Edited by The Shrubbery - November 11 2014 at 18:26
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 18:30
Yeah.  for one very brief shining moment in the history of the site. One thread I remember. It was worse than Walmart on Black Friday.  More underclothes were tossed and bare breasts were shown (and seen) than at a KISS concert.

I can't even remember what he was doing here.. trolling for chicks,  or pushing his albums but yeah it was him. 

Edited by micky - November 11 2014 at 18:31
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 18:48
Sorry, Shrubbery, computer troubles at work!

I have listened to them, several times in fact. I bought the CD of their second album based on the rave reviews of it without hearing a second of it, and I personally found it one of the most drawn out, tedious experiences I’ve heard in the last year. I don’t remember, was it 2013 or was it this year? The so-called epic (that covers most of the album if I recall) is stretched so thin, passages repeated over and over, no sense of urgency, bloated for the sake of being a `prog epic’, and I’m sorry, Pete T might be an amazing musician, but the guy should NOT sing lead vocals. His lead singing moment on the last Transatlantic (I band I like just fine) was awful, and the EC album was just the same, only heaps more of him.

But I’m glad that you and others have found it more worthwhile than I did. I know it’s had mostly positive reviews, but for me I can think of endless albums more exciting releases. I certainly won’t be buying another album from them. But I dig that you really praise it and stick up for it, glad the band means something to you.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 19:46
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

God I remember the good times we had when he was member here. Good times! The fanboys threw their jockies at him, others, the PA's forum terror squad led by a certain merry prankster  had a bit of fun with him.

No wonder he never came back LOL

Yup...I remember him being on the forums....was his tag swilson?? I don't remember, it was something simple if I recall.

Those were the days......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 21:10

I have listened to them, several times in fact. I bought the CD of their second album based on the rave reviews of it without hearing a second of it, and I personally found it one of the most drawn out, tedious experiences I’ve heard in the last year. I don’t remember, was it 2013 or was it this year? The so-called epic (that covers most of the album if I recall) is stretched so thin, passages repeated over and over, no sense of urgency, bloated for the sake of being a `prog epic’, and I’m sorry, Pete T might be an amazing musician, but the guy should NOT sing lead vocals. His lead singing moment on the last Transatlantic (I band I like just fine) was awful, and the EC album was just the same, only heaps more of him.

But I’m glad that you and others have found it more worthwhile than I did. I know it’s had mostly positive reviews, but for me I can think of endless albums more exciting releases. I certainly won’t be buying another album from them. But I dig that you really praise it and stick up for it, glad the band means something to you.

Ahhh. it's something that i really found a thing for. I love dark music and it is very dark and haunting and I love that sorta thing. But it's just as cool that you listened and didn't like it. The thing about Progressive rock is that one fan's treasure is another's nightmare LOL. That's what makes it all so great. Thanks Aussie for your input!

Edited by The Shrubbery - November 11 2014 at 21:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 21:12
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Yeah.  for one very brief shining moment in the history of the site. One thread I remember. It was worse than Walmart on Black Friday.  More underclothes were tossed and bare breasts were shown (and seen) than at a KISS concert.

I can't even remember what he was doing here.. trolling for chicks,  or pushing his albums but yeah it was him. 

Micky I wish I saw that. That must have been something to see. Except for the bare breasts as most were probably of 45 year old overweight males with headphones on. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 21:30

Ahhh. it's something that i really found a thing for. I love dark music and it is very dark and haunting and I love that sorta thing. But it's just as cool that you listened and didn't like it. The thing about Progressive rock is that one fan's treasure is another's nightmare LOL. That's what makes it all so great. Thanks Aussie for your input!

I'm sorry if I was a little blunt at the start, didn't really mean it like that, and certainly wasn't attacking you! You couldn't be more right about `different strokes for different folks' and all when it comes to prog! Anyway, I certainly won't be getting rid of the album. If something doesn't work for me, I tend to leave it for a while and eventually come back to it. Maybe that will be the trick here.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 00:13

I'm sorry if I was a little blunt at the start, didn't really mean it like that, and certainly wasn't attacking you! You couldn't be more right about `different strokes for different folks' and all when it comes to prog! Anyway, I certainly won't be getting rid of the album. If something doesn't work for me, I tend to leave it for a while and eventually come back to it. Maybe that will be the trick here.

May I recommend you work backwards? "Music for the End Credits of an Existence" is the instrumental finale. Give that a listen or two and see if it is something that you can get into. if it does and you can appreciate it. Try others from there like the seventh sign. if it doesn't... well maybe it's just never going to happen. Either way very cool that you are keeping an open mind, And i'll do the same. if there's something I haven't listened to that you think someone like me who likes the darker moodier stuff should try to "get" let me know and i'll give it a go.
 Post Reply Post Reply