Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCatagories in my Personal Library

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these do you enjoy most (in general)?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [27.27%]
2 [18.18%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [18.18%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [9.09%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catagories in my Personal Library
    Posted: November 14 2014 at 19:48
I decided to reorganize my books today. Before it was just a vaguely genre-based, vaguely sized-based system but now I have it organized by different categories. Of the categories, which do you enjoy most, in general?

General Fiction: Fictitious narratives, based in realism, that don't fall into any of the other categories like John Green's Paper Towns and JD Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye.
Mystery: Mystery books like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Hounds of Baskerville and The Return of Sherlock Holmes.
Children's: Books written for younger kids like Roald Dahl's Matilda and E B White's Stuart Little.
General/Low Fantasy: Books that have unrealistic and fantastical settings and events but not in the style of, say, The Lord of the Rings and stuff like that, like Ayn Rand's Anthem and Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.
High Fantasy: Fantasy books with Tolkien-esque elements like magic, elves, dwarves, etc, like Rose Estes' Dungeon of Dread and Ursala K LeGuin's Tales of Earthsea.
Sci-Fi: Science fiction books like George Orwell's 1984 and Jeff Sutton's First to the Moon.
(Auto-)Biography/Memoir: Books about real peoples' lives, excluding musicians and people in the music business, like Anne Frank's Diary of a Young Girl.
Gaming Magazines: My small collection of magazines about video games, like Retro Gamer.
Harry Potter: Gets it's own section because it was more convenient, shelf-space-wise, than to put it with High Fantasy.
Comics and Manga; Sci-Fi: Sci-fi comics and manga like Star Wars and Sgt.Frog.
Comics and Manga; General: Fairly realistic comics and manga that don't fit into another genre like Charles M Schultz's Peanuts and Kazuo Koike's Lone Wolf and Cub.
Comics and Manga; General/Low Fantasy: Comics and manga based in non-Tolkien-esque fantasy like Rumiko Takahashi's InuYasha and Bill Waterson's Calvin and Hobbes (it cold be argued that C&H is fairly realistic considering most of the fantastical elements are imaginary, in fact, from that point of view it's more realistic than Peanuts, but it's more convenient, shelf-space-wise, so I digress).
Picture Books: Books, mostly made for kids, generally using more pictures than sentences, like Crockett Johnson's Harold and the Purple Crayon.
Activity Books: Books where you interact or play games like Kazunori Aihara's Let's Find Pokemon!
Music: Books about music and/or musicians/bands/people in the music industry, like The Beatles' Anthology and Martin Popoff's Contents Under Pressure.
Misc Big Books: Mostly year books.
Poetry: Collections of poetry like Sted Mays' A Kitten a Week.
General Non-Fiction: Real life books like Alex Boese's Elephants on Acid and Paul Parsons' The Science of Dr.Who.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 20:45
Not a huge fan of reading - but I do love books.  So much so that I regret the fact that I can rarely get comfortable reading for long periods.  Audiobooks are a great answer, but I can only really "read" those when I'm driving, or when I'm exercising.  But for pure reading pleasure, I don't think I've ever been happier reading than when I get lost in an old Doonesbury anthology.  I've got about 10 of them, and they're all long and they're all chronological - and as you may know, Doonesbury has a large world of characters who all act out their real-life dramas in the current social and political climate in which they were written.  So going back to the early 70s with Vietnam and all that, it really lets you get inside of the minds of people in that era.  Funny how I almost feel like I've been there, from reading about of fictional drawings of fictional characters!

So I'll call it "Comics - General", but that seems to downplay the humanity of it.  You know wot I meen though.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 20:59
Sounds like an interesting series. Definitely sounds like it fits in General Comics.
Personally I don't read as much as I'd like to, in fact I've started making myself read at least one chapter of a book each day. I want to become a bit more well read.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 22:42
Fiction or poetry. I don't read as often as I ought to.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 23:01
General fiction cause I'm as basic as sodium hydroxide 
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 23:16
Ha, yeah, I went with that, too. There are actually probably more music books that I've enjoyed, but a lot of my top tier favorites have been in that category.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 23:18
I didn't read long enough to see that general fiction didn't include fantasy and sci-fi, which I prefer.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 23:18
Also, manga. What I don't read is OPs.
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 00:09
low fantasy i guess
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 05:17
high fantasy, urban fantasy, low fantasy, errrrh space operas, science fiction, classics, curriculum for University books, lecture books.
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 07:14
Lately I'm into Terry Pratchett, Christopher Moore and Carl Hiaasen.  So.... humorous fiction?

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 07:39
I do not know if I would call them categories, but I kind of lump all my printed matter into 3 large groups:

(1) Vintage books and magazines (vintage = older than myself Ermm)
(2) Modern books that are either useful, or pleasant, or both
(3) The paper stuff that hasn't been recycled yet
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 10:27
also Harry Potter fals under urban fantasy subgernre.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 11:34
Mystery.  Generally light mysteries ("cozies" etc.).  Won't claim most as great literature, but I read to relax, and they generally do the trick.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
 Post Reply Post Reply