Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWINTER MADNESS!! PA's Battle of the Bands.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: WINTER MADNESS!! PA's Battle of the Bands.
    Posted: November 16 2014 at 07:56
In the spirit of the upcoming football tournament and of course of the ever popular March Madness basketball tournament we are going to reprise the incedibly fun PA's battle of the Bands we had a number of years ago here on the site.

Unlike the NCAA the band selections will not be done in some smoky backroom, nor done by famous heads of state.  It will be done by US!.

The format will be a 32 band showdown. Seeded 1-32 (thought 64 was simply too many and tedious through the early stages). The winner shall be crowned the ultimate progressive rock band.  Voters are encouraged to vote on overall impact, influence and popularity.  Of course people will vote on simple personal preference and there is nothing that can be done about that LOL However if one tries to take  the larger view it can lead to some fun discussions.

In that spirit. Here are the 32 bands Raff and I came up with morning we thought truly were the most impactful, influential, and popular. 

Seeding will done and the brackets posted a week from now.  For the next week, we want to hear from you all. What bands are missing from this list?  I'll judge any bands and makes changes accordingly (bonus points to well thought out reasoning and explanations!) and adjust the list based on feedback.

Here is a morning coffee and heavily discussed (between Raff and I haha) list of the top 32 progressive rock bands of all time.

Yes
King Crimson
ELP
Genesis
Floyd
Rush
Jethro Tull
Dream Theater
Soft Machine
Magma
Zappa/M.O.I
Can
VDGG
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Gentle Giant
Caravan
Kraftwerk
Porcupine Tree
Kansas
Traffic
Tangerine Dream
PFM
Amon Duul  II
Gong
Henry Cow
Univers Zero
Anglagard
Camel
Radiohead
Mars Volta
Colosseum
Supertramp
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 08:08
Good to have you and Raff back here Micky!Clap

Can't really argue with that list, I may not like many of those listed but they really are the top 32 based on impact, influence and popularity. The only ones I might argue for are Kayo Dot, Opeth and Isis. KD are a surprisingly popular modern avant-guard band but I'm biased and I'm never really that sure of whether they are that popular or if this site exists in a microcosm. Opeth are a massively successful Prog Metal band that have probably done more to push the idea that extreme metal and prog don't have to be mutually exclusive than any one else. Isis are similar but more specifically towards Post Metal, they weren't the genre's founders but I'd say have done more than Neurosis, who were, to push the genre onwards whilst being very popular.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 08:10
+1 on Opeth. Excellent suggestion! I'll be looking hard at them. The trick is, as Raff as I already ran into as I didn't include a band she thought could be on there, who to remove?

edit.  Thanks!  Great to be back, the forum really is different animal these days. Nowadays you can leave the sidearms and bodyarmor at the door when you log in. I miss the wild west days of the old forum to some extent, but with enough drama in real life, it is nice to have a chill atmosphere here.

Edited by micky - November 16 2014 at 08:12
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 08:14
I think the two most likely to head for the chop would be Colosseum and Supertramp, I wouldn't want to be the one to explain that decision though!

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 08:15

What upcoming football competition?

Anyway, yes, I echo Sleeper's thoughts that it is nice to have you both back around the place. Big smile.  The only, person who appreciates the Throwing Muses as much as I do. 

Not sure anyone is missing I will have a think.  I am, quite partial to the FA cup and would suggest NO SEEDING and a draw from a large psychadelic Prog type cat in a HAT?

Edited by akamaisondufromage - November 16 2014 at 08:17
Help me I'm falling!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 08:15
Colosseum was the 32nd in LOL, and likely the first to go for a more deserving omission.  Thanks!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 08:21
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

What upcoming football competition?

Anyway, yes, I echo Sleeper's thoughts that it is nice to have you both back around the place. Big smile.  The only, person who appreciates the Throwing Muses as much as I do. 

Not sure anyone is missing I will have a think.  I am, quite partial to the FA cup and would suggest NO SEEDING and a draw from a large psychadelic Prog type cat in a HAT?

Heart I had an old girlfriend that was bonkers for them, especially Kristen Hersh, and I immediately fell in love the group, and her.

Part of the fun will be seeding, and having some interesting matchups, and who I am kidding.  You all know I have a score to settle.  You can bet 2 bands will be meeting.... LOL
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 08:46
IQ?
Marillion?
Hatfield & The North?
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum?
Dead Can Dance?
Return To Forever?
Discipline?
Echolyn?
UK?
Hawkwind?

Don't see any Neo in your list so probably want one or both of Marillion or IQ. Can't think of compelling arguments why any of these would oust another band but they would all probably be worthy entries. The rest of my suggestions would probably be considered massive underdogs.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:01
Ahhh... neo. 

It is up for discussion, but let me explain the thoughts behind the (intended) omission from the first list.  I think it is clear it is, as it should be, a relatively 70's heavy list.  The modern bands I did include were not simply 'reactionary' bands but bands that either brought something completely new and/or were in themselves extremely influential in the continuation of the current prog scene.

This is why I started the thread Ian. Thumbs Up I do love a good discussion.  Anyone can (can anyone?) make a case for one of the neo bands really having something other than being a function of some bands VERY high degree of influence (ahem.. Genesis) and they can be included.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:16

In which case I can't see a good reason for omitting Hawkwind.  One of the most influential of 70s bands on PA. 
Help me I'm falling!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:20
yes. They were on the orignal list but got bumped. I thought I was playing personal fav.

sitting at 33 was Uriah Heep.  I wonder if anyone thinks they should be on, one of the seminal early heavy prog bands.

who to remove.

I think Colosseum is gone, and Opeth was most certainly a glaring omission.  For any others strong cases can be made.  I might fiddle with the intended brackets. Perhaps 1st round byes for #1 seeds and pick 4 more for a wildcard 8-9 matchup. 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:26
I can't believe I didn't think of Marillion. Although Marillion have often been called a clone of Genesis I feel this is completely unfair, they've always had a darker tone to their music and their arrangements were very different to any other bands at the time or before, though obviously Genesis and Pink Floyd were both strong influences on the band. However, they've moved a long long way from there and comparing those early Fish albums with Brave, Marbles or Sounds That Can't be Made would be like listening to completely different bands, though Season's End, largely written whilst Fish was still in the band, suggests they may very well have moved off in this direction regardless of the change in vocalist.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:36
Thumbs Up

the fun will be now deciding who to remove,  so not only suggest omissions but balance that versus the omissions having more merit than bands already picked.

Colosseum is dead man walking from the list. Opeth was a no brainer that takes their spot. One we simply forgot. 

We did discuss Marillion briefly. I think both Raff and I take too hard a view of Neo. I see your points and judge them worthy LOLClap

Edited by micky - November 16 2014 at 09:37
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:44
When Marillion are suggested by an Avant head who only owns one neo CD you know they may be a missTongue
Ian

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:47
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

When Marillion are suggested by an Avant head who only owns one neo CD you know they may be a missTongue

LOLThumbs Up

Raff and I just shared a big full belly laugh over the end result of you all's great suggestions.

There is ONE band that sticks out like a sore thumb on that list that doesn't belong. Yet in their funny way, they are the real reason for the whole premise of doing this. REVENGE!!!

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:51
I did actually suggest Marillion, but my better half initially disagreed, and I did not push the issue because I had to start doing some houseworkLOL. On the other hand, I completely forgot about Opeth. Too many things on my mind, I supposeWink.

Anyway, my own rationale for suggesting bands was how influential they were. As someone who has reviewed hundreds of albums in the past five years or so, I based my choices on how often I had heard echoes of a given band or artist in someone else's music. This made bands like Dream Theater, The Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree (and, to a certain extent, Radiohead) a shoe-in.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:52
hahha. Hiding behind housework. OK. You didn't suggest it, we saw them on DDD list and we both went... ehhh.

I see how it is... hanging me out to dry you are LOL
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 10:22
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

LOL

Nice one Ian.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 10:30
This is tough Micky......mostly because of the always interesting (NOT) definition of prog. What constitutes a prog band? ......and no please let us not go down that road - I still have soar elbows from the last time.
But if we're talking about the top prog artists, or indeed the top artists featured here on PA, then in terms of sheer popularity and albums sold, then you're missing Neurosis, Tool and Alcest. All hugely influential and have sold more records than most of the bands featured on your listWink
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 10:41
Tool certainly deserve to be in.
Ian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>