Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWINTER MADNESS!! PA's Battle of the Bands.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 14:12
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

and speaking of the 2015 Battle of the Albums...

the details are being hashed out.. but as always.. if you have suggestions of classic prog/progressive albums from.. say 1967 to 2013 you think should be included. Do post them here.  I'll check suggestions here versus what we are coming up with and see if any of you come up with better ideas or suggestions than we are. 

I'm looking forward to a Battle of the Albums very much - will each artist be restricted to just one album? Or two? Or however many? And I hope each PA subgenre is represented by more than one album.

*mick here!*

Not a lot has been firmly decided, it is very much a work in progress, but a few things have.

We are going with separate classic and modern polls.  Bands can only have one album per 'era' so to speak.  The dividing line has changed multiple times already but right now we are sitting on '85 as the divider. Some of us, all of us actually really wanted it to be a bit later but there are some albums that came out late 80's that simply would be out of place on the classic list so we slid it closer to the years of classic neo that we really wanted to but  I think we have it right.

Trust me... ALL subgenres are being well represented.  I'm getting lots of great help and suggestions from some in the genre teams to help nail the essentials and of course the hidden gems.  Going full 128 album brackets for each era. Trust me, it seems like a lot but we have already filled the classic list and already are debating those that should be on versus those already on the 1st draft of it, as even with 128 albums we all do see lots that could (or should) be on it.  That is why I alloted some much time for it,  to let everyone decide not only who should be represented.. but the real fun question.. which albums from them.

Really the only two things that are off the table are live albums, and albums from 2014. The live album exeption I don't see changing, however the 2014 album exemption is being left open for discussion. One of the guys helping with this really thinks they should be included, most don't, so for now they are not eligible but that can change.

I'm seeing this kicking off this summer.  It is a bit of a pretentious and overblown LOL celebration if you will for many of us who are celebrating 10 yr anni's with the site.  A bit of K.E. 9'ish celebration of great albums LOL
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 06:58
one hour left in the Detroit and Portland regional semi's

Yes well ahead of Zappa
Gong is only up by 1 vote on Rush

Gentle Giant well ahead of Camel
Floyd light-years ahead of AD II

get your votes in for Gong or Rush if you haven't yet!!!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 08:07
alrighty!!  Detroit and Portland regional semi's are now in the books.

The final results...

Detroit Regional Semi-finals.

Yes - 47 / Zappa - 27
Gong - 44 / Rush - 43

Yes will meet Gong in the Detroit regional final with a spot in the Final 4 on the line. The match will start a week from today.

Portland Regional Semi-Final's

Gentle Giant - 47 / Camel - 35
Pink Floyd - 55 / ADII - 11

Gentle Giant will meet Pink Floyd in the Portland regional final with a spot in the Final 4 on the line. The match will start a week from today.

Happy Holidays everyone!!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 10:10
to beat Ivan to e the punch. Micky is back.. with a new snazzy laptop. Now to try to recover the years and years of work I had on the old laptop. Ouch.

I don't see the Floyd-G.G match being close, respectable, but an issue that really isn't in doubt.

Now that Yes-Gong match might be interesting.  The Gong army is formidable. And truly of the 4 big heavies. Yes is likely the most vulnerable.  Or at least not as bulletproof as the other are.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 10:40
Daevid Allen almighty. I voted too late Xmas stuff and all that! Even so! GonG are victorious over Rush.

Gong army! Gong army! Gong army!

Yay!
Help me I'm falling!
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 10:46
Oh ah Gong v Yes hmm still not even knight Rick and Saint Jon can beat us now time for a cup of tea.

Would you like some tea?
Help me I'm falling!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 12:40
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Daevid Allen almighty. I voted too late Xmas stuff and all that! Even so! GonG are victorious over Rush.

Gong army! Gong army! Gong army!

Yay!

ooh we oh..ooohhh   ooh we oh... ooohhh

Can Gong pull the upset?  I know my vote will be torn, and Yes is by far my favorite of the big 4.  Gong is a group I was a late comer to, I really didn't 'get' them till I saw them live, but once it clicked.. man did it click.

Edited by micky - December 27 2014 at 12:41
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 13:02
The results seem obvious but I hope to be surprised Smile

TD is still losing Unhappy
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 14:11
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

to beat Ivan to e the punch. Micky is back.. with a new snazzy laptop. Now to try to recover the years and years of work I had on the old laptop. Ouch.

I don't see the Floyd-G.G match being close, respectable, but an issue that really isn't in doubt.

Now that Yes-Gong match might be interesting.  The Gong army is formidable. And truly of the 4 big heavies. Yes is likely the most vulnerable.  Or at least not as bulletproof as the other are.

Thats interesting, I can see the Floyd/GG match up being quite close, though with PF coming out ahead, and Yes flattening Gong (lets be honest, if this doesn't end up being a Yes vs Genesis final I think we'd all be surprised).
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 15:14
No new matches on this saturday, you bracketeers?
A week delay?
Let's hackett to brackets!
Oh well, I understand, the holidays and all.

Amazing that GG has beaten Camel BTW.
I didn't see that one coming.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 23:05
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Thats interesting, I can see the Floyd/GG match up being quite close, though with PF coming out ahead, and Yes flattening Gong (lets be honest, if this doesn't end up being a Yes vs Genesis final I think we'd all be surprised).

We will see LOL.  Actually, I have to say that if I was laying money on this.. I'd be laying completely opposite as you are seeing it.

Floyd is just a monster. If anyone has really shown anything... other than.. ahem... King Crimson. It is the ability to make good quality (even classic) bands look silly with blowout wins.

I had what a 4 or 5 year break here but another thing jumps out at me...  a real lack of a Yes fanboy faction here these days and again another thing we can take the results so far. There seems to be a real active and substantial Gong Army on the site.  I do that being being much closer than Floyd-GG. Yes might and perhaps will win, but Gong can win. I don't really think anyone things G.G can beat Floyd.  I sure don't see it

and lets be honest. I'll be surprised if it isn't a Floyd-King Crimson final.  The anti-Genesis club is gaining strength and numbers. People. some at least, are finally beginning to wake up and open their ears LOL  Those few votes against Genesis could be the difference.

Floyd-K.C.??   who the hell knows.  I know I'll be voting for Floyd but perhaps enough of the Floyd isn't really prog crowd might subconsiously vote for K.C. when really liking both.  Floyd has the easier path to the final but think the eventual winner will be the winner of the Genesis-K.C. brawl.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 23:19
Floyd - KC would be a win-win for me given the unexpected demise of Univers Zero & Henry Cow
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 23:27
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Floyd - KC would be a win-win for me given the unexpected demise of Univers Zero & Henry Cow

unexpected? Shocked 

Quality, multiple stone cold classics, and substantial historical import means nothing on this forum.  We've had plenty of examples of lesser, even mediocre bands winning as FAVORITES LOL  There is no accounting for tastes here I suppose.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 06:57
one hour left in the Lima and Rome regional-semi's

If you haven't voted yet, be sure to vote!!

caravan has a slim lead over Tangerine Dream so every vote counts!!

the other 3... bah... I really don't understand you all sometimes. For prog fans... many of you all have sh*tty tastes LOL

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 06:59
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

A week delay?

I suppose Camel fan was sleeping off the win over ELP after celebrating with Camel album marathons Angry
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 07:28

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

A week delay?

I suppose Camel fan was sleeping off the win over ELP after celebrating with Camel album marathons Angry

Well, at least I did my duty as a good progressive citizen and voted for Camel.
In between the Camel marathons, of course.
But hey, GG is a good band, the first four albums especially, then, and I congratulate mr. Pantagruel.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 07:39
Angry  don't get me started.. please LOL

as far as GG-Camel...  if I didn't know this forum.. I would have been surprised about how close it was. 

Put G.G against Camel anywhere else (or ELP v Camel for that matter) and Camel gets run out of the building.

Camel was a nice ... harmless as well as quite generic... prog group.  Both ELP and Gentle Giant can be strongly argued were both far more creative, had more classic albums as well as being considered 'mandatory and essential' bands in the roadmap to prog knowledge. 

Yet here at PA's...  the odd, impossible to explain, pooling of likely nearly any and all Camel fans known to man have seemingly put that group..  on par with those groups. When outside of this site,  Camel is in that 2nd, 3rd or even 4th rung of groups to be discovered and appreciated.  Seriously.  Prog is not just a label, back then it said something about the music,  it was and the great ones DID... take chances.. reaching for the stars and trying to expand what rock music can and did do.

Camel did no such thing... sure they made good albums.  So did Willie Nelson...

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 08:02
alrighty... we have our final 8.. the clock hits zero.. though most of the players have already left the court, showered up, left the arena, and are hitting the bars raising hell, getting busted by the popo and becoming famous on progspin.

Closing the Lima and Rome contests and tabulating results!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 08:08
Final results Lima Regional Semi-Finals

Genesis - 62 / Renaissance - 20

Jethro Dull - 47 / PFM - 28 Angry really?? LOL

Genesis will meet Jethro Dull in the Lima Regional Final with a spot in the Final 4 on the line.  Play begins a week from today. 

Final results from the Rome Regional Semi-Finals

King Crimson - 65 / Focus - 21
Caravan - 38 / Tangerine Dream - 36

King Crimson will face Caravan in the Rome Regional Final with a spot in the Final 4 on the line.  Play begins a week from today
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 08:13
early Vegas lines on the Great 8 matches!!

Yes (-6.5) over Gong
Floyd (-15.5) over Gentle Giant
Genesis (-20.5) over Jethro Tull
King Crimson (-29.5) over Caravan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>