Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWINTER MADNESS!! PA's Battle of the Bands.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:55
^

A 'Lack of Space' another reason to include Hawkwind.
Help me I'm falling!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:59
I corrected myself on that.  I can't remember why I deleted them in the first place, perhaps being oversensitive to including strong personal favorites even as important as they were, but thanks to you all. I see it wasn't just me that thought so and so they are back in.LOL

Edited by micky - November 16 2014 at 12:01
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:13
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

This is tough Micky......mostly because of the always interesting (NOT) definition of prog. What constitutes a prog band? ......and no please let us not go down that road - I still have soar elbows from the last time.
But if we're talking about the top prog artists, or indeed the top artists featured here on PA, then in terms of sheer popularity and albums sold, then you're missing Neurosis, Tool and Alcest. All hugely influential and have sold more records than most of the bands featured on your listWink

I know Micky's shot this down already, but I'd disagree strongly with Alcest, I know they're quite successful but IMO are a long way from being the best the Atmospheric Black Metal genre has to offer and even further from being one of it's first bands. Groups like Weakling, Drudkh and Wolves in the Throne Room had been there and doing that for years before Alcest came along. There not even Niege's first band in the style, with Amoseurs pre dating them.

I'd argue for Isis over Neurosis, mainly because Neurosis have been producing rather middling albums since the seminal Through Silver in Blood and because I think Isis did more to further the genre and may have been more popular in the end anyway. Completely agree on Tool though.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:15
Just to clarify: this is not a list of our favourite bands - far from that. Anyone who knows us - either virtually or in real life - also knows that we aren't exactly fans of Genesis, Marillion, Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree, yet these bands have all been selected for our list. Furthermore, some of these bands appeal to one of us and not to the other (The Mars Volta come to mind). We tried to be as impartial as possible, judging each of the entries on the basis of their influentiality and popularity rather than our personal tastes.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:16
I'm thinking it might be a good idea to go with 64 bands, and set them up in a group stage to cut the first 32 before getting into the brackets.  It might need including bands that are solely there to be shot down, but hay that can be fun too as are upsets. I think whats been shown here is that there are a lot of bands that have had a strong impact on Prog and that whittling it down to just 32 may mean that several bands get cut simply due to a lack of space more than any actual reasoning regarding their music and influence.

It's also hard not to throw in a list of another 20 bands that I find amazing, but I'm well aware that I may be the only that would consider them worth voting for.

I'm also interested to see which band it is that you want revenge on Micky!

Edited by sleeper - November 16 2014 at 12:21

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:19
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

This is tough Micky......mostly because of the always interesting (NOT) definition of prog. What constitutes a prog band? ......and no please let us not go down that road - I still have soar elbows from the last time.
But if we're talking about the top prog artists, or indeed the top artists featured here on PA, then in terms of sheer popularity and albums sold, then you're missing Neurosis, Tool and Alcest. All hugely influential and have sold more records than most of the bands featured on your listWink

I know Micky's shot this down already, but I'd disagree strongly with Alcest, I know they're quite successful but IMO are a long way from being the best the Atmospheric Black Metal genre has to offer and even further from being one of it's first bands. Groups like Weakling, Drudkh and Wolves in the Throne Room had been there and doing that for years before Alcest came along. There not even Niege's first band in the style, with Amoseurs pre dating them.

I'd argue for Isis over Neurosis, mainly because Neurosis have been producing rather middling albums since the seminal Through Silver in Blood and because I think Isis did more to further the genre and may have been more popular in the end anyway. Completely agree on Tool though.

You may have a point, but then again are we talking 'most successful', 'subjectively best' or 'most influential' here? Top bands can mean a lot of thingsTongue
I'd argue that while Alcest may not be the most original group out there, they sure as hell have garnered quite the crowd. Not necessarily a prog crowd thoughLOL but still a larger audience than any of those you mention.

Edit: Ninja'd by Raff

Edited by Guldbamsen - November 16 2014 at 12:20
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:21

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to go with 64 bands, and set them up in a group stage to cut the first 32 before getting into the brackets.  It might need including bands that are solely there to be shot down, but hay that can be fun too as are upsets.

that is a nice idea. Really beyond seeding the first 8.. perhaps 16 it is a coinflip anyway.

I might just do that.

As far as revenge.  We go back many years to a Battle of the Bands polls we had. A result I never forgot nor forgave... this time I meant to have revenge. And still might if we go up to 64 LOL

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:23
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to go with 64 bands, and set them up in a group stage to cut the first 32 before getting into the brackets.  It might need including bands that are solely there to be shot down, but hay that can be fun too as are upsets.

that is a nice idea. Really beyond seeding the first 8.. perhaps 16 it is a coinflip anyway.

I might just do that.

As far as revenge.  We go back many years to a Battle of the Bands polls we had. A result I never forgot nor forgave... this time I meant to have revenge. And still might if we go up to 64 LOL

Lol, that made me laugh!LOL

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:31
its been a running joke for years.  f**king Camel.  LOL 

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:41
Don't hate me micky but I'd vote Camel ahead of ELP all day long.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:41
I don't think I would vote for f**king Camel above any of the bands you listed.

and surely f**kiing Camel is illegal? Even in Texas.
Help me I'm falling!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:42
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:45
It might be a personal bias but looking at the list I would take Opeth over DT. I feel that DT had a huge influence over the early days of prog metal but they have really failed in the recent years and these days are trying to copy THEIR OWN INFLUENCE to try to stay afloat instead of trying to push the boundaries. They are a technically inclined band who often times forgets that it is a SONG that people are interested in listening to and not just the instruments.

Opeth on the other hand are highly dynamic band that is willing to sacrifice what their fans know about them (Damnation, Heritage) in order to actually further their sound. They took up the tipping progressive metal flag and have led the charge since Blackwater Park (which was likely helped by Steve Wilson's production and Porcupine Tree's foray into metal in the early naughties.) Others have come along since then that have also made an impact but I would say that Mikael and his Swedish clan would have been able to make their mark with or without the groundwork laid by DT in the 90s.

Edited by Queen By-Tor - November 16 2014 at 12:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:46

Embarrassed
Help me I'm falling!
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:46
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:51
With the expanded playing field we can have both, perhaps even more. Perhaps Tool, perhaps Symphony X whom I find more prog and interesting than any of them (perhaps with exception of Opeth) but then again I am not a fan nor all knowledgeable on the field. Dream Theater though is a must, no matter how much they suck or how tasteless the group is.  Their impact and influence much like ELP's LOLLOL is undeniable regardless of what one thinks of them or their music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:58

'Dream Theater though is a must, no matter how much they suck or how tasteless the group is'

LOL
Help me I'm falling!
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 13:21

Can't really argue with that list, I may not like many of those listed but they really are the top 32 based on impact, influence and popularity.

same here, man!!

Edited by Michael678 - November 16 2014 at 13:21
Progrockdude
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 13:24
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Can't really argue with that list, I may not like many of those listed but they really are the top 32 based on impact, influence and popularity.

same here, man!!

What's up with you guys? We're meant to argue endlessly about this sort of stuff.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 13:27
I'd suggest Hawkwind as they initiated the sub-genre of Space Rock which makes them influential. They also had an impact on future bands such as Ozric Tentalces who took those influences in a brand new dircetion. They would lose first round anyway so no big deal Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>