Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Band recommendations with this style of keyboard..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBand recommendations with this style of keyboard..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Band recommendations with this style of keyboard..
    Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:40
Firstly, I apologise if this is in the wrong section!

(Referring to the opening and ending to this song)

Ever since binging through 70's zombie/horror movies during my teens, I became obsessed with this specific desolate sounding keyboard (hammond?) and have always searched for music, whatever the genre, that uses it (and I mean this sound and not the hammond on general!). I gather it's heavily Italian influenced given who was creating the soundtracks for these movies (Lucio Fulci films, Goblin, etc) but don't really notice it much in Italian prog from the era.

Could anyone point me into right the direction/suggest bands? I'd be eternally grateful Clap

Edited by mamboboy - November 16 2014 at 13:26
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 10:20
I'm not sure this a Hammond or any other organ. It sounds more like an electric piano with treatment or maybe just a synth patch. Not what I would term an "industry standard" sound if you understand my meaning.

I can't remember ever hearing this particular sound featured on any album specifically.
Sorry.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:10
I believe that's an overdriven Rhodes. Sounds very cool when playing ostinatos, arpeggios, etc.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 08:00
There are probably a few prog bands that have used it but I can't think of any at this moment but here's a link to rock and jazz uses.
From Wiki:
One of the first notable Rhodes user was The Doors' Ray Manzarek in 1967, who played the group's bass parts on the Piano Bass with one hand, while playing organ with the other.[16]

The Rhodes piano became a popular instrument in jazz in the late 1960s, particularly for several sidemen who played with Miles Davis. Herbie Hancock first encountered the instrument in 1968 while booked for a session with Davis. He immediately became an enthusiast, noting that the amplification allowed him to be heard much more easily in groups when compared to the acoustic piano. Hancock continued to experiment with the Rhodes over the next few years, including playing it through a wah wah.[25] Another former Davis sideman, Chick Corea started using the Rhodes prominently during the 1970s,[26] as did Weather Report founder Joe Zawinul.[27] Zawinul favored the sound of the Rhodes over the Wurlitzer, because it had a fuller and rich tone. From 1969's In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew onwards, the Rhodes became the most prominent keyboard on Davis' recordings until the mid-1970s.[28] Vince Guaraldi started using a Rhodes in 1968, and toured with it alternating with an acoustic piano. He achieved particular prominence with his soundtrack music for the Charlie Brown series of films.[29]

Billy Preston has been described as "The Ruler of the Rhodes" by Music Radar magazine, and played one during The Beatles' rooftop concert in 1969, and on the group's hit single Get Back.[30] Many of Stevie Wonder's recordings from the 1970s feature him playing the Rhodes, often alongside the Hohner Clavinet.[31] Donny Hathaway regularly used the Rhodes. His hit single, This Christmas, which receives seasonal radio play on African American stations, makes a prominent use of the instrument.[32] Although better known for playing the Wurlitzer, Ray Charles played a Rhodes on his performance of "Shake A Tailfeather" in the film The Blues Brothers.[33]

The French band Air make regular use of the Rhodes piano in their recordings.

[34]

Edited by dr wu23 - November 17 2014 at 08:03
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply