Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tangerine Dream - Melbourne Town Hall, 16 Nov 2014
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTangerine Dream - Melbourne Town Hall, 16 Nov 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tangerine Dream - Melbourne Town Hall, 16 Nov 2014
    Posted: November 16 2014 at 19:23
TANGERINE DREAM - 16th November 2014, Melbourne Town Hall, Melbourne, Australia

A wonderful performance from the German electronic pioneers Tangerine Dream last night. A nice mix of newer material and classic reworked sections from `Tangram', `Exit', `Rubycon', `Ricochet' and more, ambient one second, pounding and rave-like the next! The band could probably have done with a bit more of a visual presence on stage (four people at keyboards and computers isn't hugely thrilling for two plus hours!), but it's all about the music itself, and it was superb!

Edgar opened the show using the grand organ (see in the background of the photo) in a very stark and grim interpretation of part of the first side of `Ricochet', then quickly joined the band down below to carry on the rest of the show. Lots of variety in the performance, with atmospheric droning passages, heavy beats, and band-member Hoshiko's violin gave several known pieces a fresh interpretation. No guitar at all for this show!

The line-up for this show was:

EDGAR FROESE
THORSTEN QUAESCHNING
ULRICH SCHNAUSS
HOSHIKO YAMANE

Hopefully I'll get a track-listing soon.

Edgar and the band appeared in the foyer after the show to sign albums and take photos, Edgar was very accommodating, and the rest of the band very genuine and humble.

Next up - Yes on Tuesday at the Palais, then a return to TDream on Thursday for the live `Sorcerer' soundtrack performance!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - November 17 2014 at 19:59
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 05:11
Impressive venue and if they played from those four albums it must have been great. Thumbs Up
Did they sign one of your albums? Smile
Waiting for setlist.... Tongue
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 05:23
Yep, Sam! I took along the CD's of `Rubycon', `Tangram' and `Underwater Sunlight' and Edgar kindly signed them all, I'll have to get a photo of them! I tried to get a few eras covered, and besides, a lot of their albums have quite dark covers, so autographs would have been lost on them!

They were also selling a new CD there called `Mala Kunia' (or Mila Kunis as I remember it ), which was the first studio album to feature this exact line-up, and I was able to get all four members to sign it.

But as I'm off to the cinema `Sorcerer' live performance on Thursday, I'm going to take two of my records along (probably `Force Majeure' and `Wavelenth') in the hope of getting those signed!

Here's another of my photos that turned out really nicely:

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 05:35
Ah, nice! 'Exit' would probably be the worse to sign on.

Right, I saw that it was added yesterday, and the release date is also yesterday:
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=47343

Shouldn't you take 'Sorcerer' instead? Tongue

That's an amazing pipe organ. I imagine Keith Emerson playing 'The Three Fates' on that one Big smile

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 05:44
Nice one Michael - now I'm really jealous of you!!!Clap

I really like the idea of a violin stepping in instead of the guitar - even if I adore Froese's playing.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 05:44
I've only got a putrid copy of `Sorcerer' on vinyl, the cover's all ripped, I'd be quite embarrassed to offer that to get signed! Would be kind of insulting as well!

I did buy a double CD from the merchandise stand there of this album:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=47291

which is essentially what I'll be seeing on Thursday, but as you can tell, it's not really suitable for signing either!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 05:48
I think we may have the same copy of Sorcerer then...mine is in tatters as wellEmbarrassed
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 06:45
Dave, let's just say they're `much loved and appreciated'!

Thanks for the tip-off about that new TDream being added, Sam, must have only been a few hours ago, because it wasn't on this morning when I checked! I just updated it with the track running times
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 07:24
I must admit that I've never been to a TD gig, and I'm in a TD style band !!! ;-)

Maybe if they do Manchester one day I'll go and see them. I got VERY worried when Brian May joined, that's for sure. ;-)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 22:16
My friend Bruce, who I always pick up a few interesting electronic related releases at most of the record fairs I attend from, just posted a superb lengthier write-up of the show, really did it justice.

Check it out here:

http://vinylconnection.com.au/2014/11/18/melbourine-dream/
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 23:44
TD was scheduled to be in Israel a few months ago and although I'm not a fan of the genre (sorry) I thought about going, but anyway the show was canceled Thumbs Down
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 03:05
Good to see you enjoyed the show.

Also, very nice to see Ulrich Schnauss achieving a lifetime's ambition, being a part of TD.  He is one of my very favourite keyboard players, a brilliant writer and an absolute maestro in the ambient/chillout scene.
TrickedTail View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 07:26
What did everyone think of Yes this evening?

I thought it was great, and was totally delighted that they chose to do Starship Trooper instead of OOALH for the final song. I'd never heard Close to the Edge, the song, live before so that was really special.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 08:53
TrickedTail, just got home from it now, it was a wonderful show from them, a top-notch performance with even more finesse than the `Fly From Here' Melbourne show. Lots of energy from the band, all of them seemed to be enjoying themselves too! Jon D was sounding more at home than ever, and the tracks off the new album had a bit more punch to them. Terrific night!

I'll post a better write-up on a new thread shortly, hopefully some pictures I took have turned out well too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 09:44
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

My friend Bruce, who I always pick up a few interesting electronic related releases at most of the record fairs I attend from, just posted a superb lengthier write-up of the show, really did it justice.

Check it out here:

http://vinylconnection.com.au/2014/11/18/melbourine-dream/
Nice review and great blog by the way, I already spent some time reading other articles Thumbs Up
Also, "The Man in the Mosh Pit" is a great title, you should have it on your PA profile LOL

Edited by Meltdowner - November 18 2014 at 09:45
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 03:56
Cheers, Sam! Bruce who runs and reviews for that blog is a very decent and genuine guy. I'll be seeing him again on Thursday night for the `Sorcerer' performance.

Hmmmm, man in the mosh pit may suggest I'm some kind of metal-head, I can't make that claim!

OK, here's some more photos, delivered by my best mate Harry (Archives member Stratcat), who is attending all these shows with me.

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 07:18
Awesome Michael!  Looks like the same venue that you saw Goblin in a while back with that pipe organ, seems like a great place to see a show.

Always wanted to see TD but never seemed to be in the right place at the right time.  Just read your review of their EP/Single or whatever it is, Mala Kunia, good job!  I actually am excited to hear they are incorporating some violin (would love for them add flute also).

Nice that they are playing some of their classics like Tangram and Rubycon.  What no Force Majuere?  Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 18:12
Good eye, Jim, yes it was at the same venue as the first Goblin show!

Yes, the new album is really nice, a definite grower!

I don't think they played any parts of `Force Majeure', but getting a set-list has been difficult because they performed little snippets of....familiar themes that you KNOW you've heard scattered over their albums, but it can be a bit of a struggle to place them exactly!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 18:48
Cool review, man! What's the new album like, style-wise? Views From A Red Train, Chandra, etc.?

Ulrich is a new name. Maybe Edgar and he have the same hairdresser. Where have we heard that before? Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 07:35
Coming January 15th, an official 3 CD set will be released with both the entire Melbourne Town Hall show, with an additional CD comprised of material from the two `Sorcerer' live shows!

More details here:

https://www.ssl-id.de/edgarfroese.de/shop/products.php?p=01e06e

Sigh...if only Goblin had properly recorded and released either of their two Melbourne shows!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>