Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDark Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 03:48
I also can't remember if anyone recommended Aluk Todolo. Similar influences as Virus (1970s prog + 1980s postpunk + 1990s black metal) but put together in a spacier and less cerebral manner, only the entire "back to the roots" movement in the metal subculture right now means they've fallen through the cracks.

Mid-period Voivod might also be worth a listen. It's dark in more of a dystopian futuristic sense, though, with some unique guitar playing that's very intense and punky despite the technical complexity. The instrumental interplay on an album like Nothingface is a thing of beauty.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - November 25 2014 at 02:39
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
'PiphanyRambler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 07:31
Sorry for not replying during the weekend. I've been on an Anekdoten kick, as I listened to Vemod pretty much non-stop, along with "Ys" by Balletto di Bronzo (a great album, how could have I overlooked it all these years?) . I really appreciated it.
A lot of suggestions I see, I'll lend an ear as soon as I have time.
Originally posted by deandob deandob wrote:

Here is one from Edison's Children (Marillion)

Great choice, that album has been my favourite of 2013 (even though I don't know many albums from that year).

Voivod are great, too. A friend of mine recommended them to me and my mind has been blown by their music (War and Pain rules).

PS: this whole "dark prog" story made my parents a bit uneasy, as they fear that I will end up involved in some satanic sect or stuff like that LOL. Guess I'll have to open a "Sunny prog" thread at some point.

Edited by 'PiphanyRambler - November 24 2014 at 07:42
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 08:09
Morbus Chron's second album is also highly recommended if you want some death metal that's highly inspired by Voivod and Virus.

"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 09:57
Quote Sometime in 1998 four Russians met in New York City and began to jam together. They wanted to reach for the higher spirit, so they called their band JESUS WITH ME. They played heavy psychedelic freakout rock, influenced by Amon Düül I, Faust, Can, High Rise, Keiji Haino and YaHoWha 13. Meanwhile, to support their habits, they began to release music on the Psycho-Path Records label with the result of several CDR's and one regular eponymous album.

JESUS WITH ME used to jam every friday, all night long, at Backstage rehearsal studios, in West Patterson NJ, where Edward worked and managed to record some of the music on tape. He was the only one with previous musical experience, having played in various heavy metal and wedding bands way back home. Being into free jazz Igor chose the bass. Dmitry was mad genius who listened to Ramones and slammed on drums like a maniac. Simon played endless guitar solos. They gave shows locally, opening for several bands, Acid Mothers Temple for example. And then one day the band stopped in 2003.
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=6590

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 13:22
I've listened to all your links and, man, I'm impressed.
Sylvan and Soup were really powerful and emotional, love those climaxes.
Aluk Todolo took me to another planet with that wailing guitar, and Jesus with Me hit me like a truck, great jam there.
Morbus Chron clearly kicks ass, with good vocals too (I think they are, at least).
PS: I forgot about The Tea Club, I enjoyed them, perhaps not as much as the others, but they sound fine to me.

Edited by 'PiphanyRambler - November 24 2014 at 13:57
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 13:50
Glad u liked Vemod, now work your way forward :]
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:14
Has anyone heard Aftermath? They're a Tech-Thrash metal band in the vein of Sieges Even (Life Cycle era), I find them pretty good for anyone interested in proggy thrash metal.

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Glad u liked Vemod, now work your way forward :]

I will for sure.
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 09:58
A little necro here...

I'm not sure if they were mentioned in the 7 pages of this thread, but I would suggest Goblin and Zombi.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 11:26
Originally posted by calm_sea calm_sea wrote:

A little necro here...

I'm not sure if they were mentioned in the 7 pages of this thread, but I would suggest Goblin and Zombi.

So, if the film was called "Bambi" instead of Zombi, I guess Goblin would still be "dark"?

Turn out the lights! There is a fear of the dark in the air!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 12:12
^I think that demonic whispers and screams in Suspiria soundtrack are enough to consider Goblin dark :)

This night wounds time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 04:17
^Yeah, Goblin is kind of an obvious choice, I wonder why I didn't think of them earlier. Great stuff.

And are these the Zombi you're referring to, calm?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Hrt2HBvIw
I wouldn't say they sound dark, even though the spacey intro sounds eerie (perhaps I just picked the wrong track).

Recently I've stumbled upon this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKQQ2vVDx9M
Not necessarily dark all the way through, but some sections in the middle, here and there, do sound quite freaky. 

Edited by 'PiphanyRambler - December 29 2014 at 04:36
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 04:59
Please check Malice Nebula's Into The Black Void. Amazing, dark, contemporary progressive psychedelia / space rock by an act from

Edited by Svetonio - December 29 2014 at 05:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 06:38
Good one, Svetonio. You always manage to find interesting music that is very recent, I'm amazed!
It's one of those tracks for which I really have to be in the right mood to appreciate completely.
It reminded me of this John Zorn piece in some parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDP19Vieg7k">
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDP19Vieg7k
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 13:19
I feel like I always recommend the same stuff in this kind of thread, but it's worth mentioning the band Yeti from Florida, who came out with two really good albums Things To Come and Volume Obliteration Transcendence in the early 00's. A taste here:

In similar vein, and from the same vintage, were Tarantula Hawk who had two eponymous albums (with no track titles either - very helpful).  A piece here:

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 13:28
For something completely different, and a bit more contemporary, how about Athanor and their 2013 effort Vos Cités Sont Des Tombeaux? It's a kind of funereal Zeuhl / avant / jazz record. As dark, doomed and depressing as anything you'll find, which I reckon is bound to appeal to fans of Shub-Niggurath and early Univers Zero.

Listen here:

Edited by Mascodagama - December 29 2014 at 13:32
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 13:34
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I feel like I always recommend the same stuff in this kind of thread, but it's worth mentioning the band Yeti from Florida, who came out with two really good albums Things To Come and Volume Obliteration Transcendence in the early 00's. A taste here:

Great one!  Yeti were a fantastic band.  I gave a five-star review to "Things to Come".

Edited by HolyMoly - December 29 2014 at 13:34
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 13:39
Mind you, if that's not grim enough for you, there's always Elend's A World In Their Screams. Which feels like what happens when you apply a depressive extreme metal sensibility to modern classical composition. It's really good. But it's not very cheery.

I think the whole thing is here:

Edited by Mascodagama - December 29 2014 at 13:51
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 13:44
norwegian band Thule is very dark, and moody, and very recomendable.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 13:58
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Great one!  Yeti were a fantastic band.  I gave a five-star review to "Things to Come".
It's a favourite of mine too.  If you really like Yeti, and aren't already aware, you might want to know that there's two really good live tracks from them on a CD of Progday 2001 that you can get on CD Baby. It's only about 20 minutes of music, but I think it's the only live Yeti you can get apart from some CDRs the band apparently used to sell, but that I've never seen offered for sale.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 15:08

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

It's a favourite of mine too.  If you really like Yeti, and aren't already aware, you might want to know that there's two really good live tracks from them on a CD of Progday 2001 that you can get on CD Baby. It's only about 20 minutes of music, but I think it's the only live Yeti you can get apart from some CDRs the band apparently used to sell, but that I've never seen offered for sale.

Thanks, I made a note of that.  I found some live Yeti on Youtube a while back, where's that link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KF4kz-y7NM

Live from 1999, the sound ain't great but it exists.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>