FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSonic Highways

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sonic Highways
    Posted: November 18 2014 at 19:37
Enjoying Grohl's ongoing documentary on HBO.  I know the Foos aren't prog in any way but I admire them for thinking outside the box and venturing outside their comfort zone.  If you haven't heard, they decided to record each song for their new record in a different city, soaking up the musical heritage and general vibe that characterizes each locale and interpreting their impressions accordingly.  I like how they showcase the history and artists that gave each town a particular identity and bringing in a significant musician from that area to contribute a track.  It's a unique idea, regardless of how you feel about Dave and his crew.  They tend to focus on the punk rock angle historically but that's the brand of rock & roll they grew up listening to and being influenced by so I can't fault them for that.  It's definitely worth checking out if you're intrigued by the creative process.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 19:42
^ I love seeing the classic recording studios and venues. Oh, the Foos? Meh,ok.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 20:04
Been meaning to check it out because everyone tells me it's fascinating. I was even a Foo Fighters fan in the 90s. But I'm slightly afraid of the "All Star Cast getting back to their roots" syndrome which may or may not be a part of this series. I'm part of Dave's same demographic (punk/hardcore) and we're about the same age so who knows. Maybe "roots" means the Effigies and not Bill Monroe.

Edited by HolyMoly - November 18 2014 at 20:04
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 00:30
I like the idea, but sadly the music produced is bound to me meh at best. 

Edited by Man With Hat - November 19 2014 at 00:31
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 05:31
I like the Foo Fighters but don't have HBO so can't watch the program.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 05:20
It's running on Danish television at the moment. 
It's actually far more interesting than what I could hope for going into it, although I have to say I am still as perplexed now as I was when Foo Fighters originally hit it big; how on earth did they manage to do that?? To me they sound like this anodyne mix of Nickelback and a grungy take on The Goo Goo Dolls. Very very empathetic bunch of people, but man are they ever boring.
I don't get this thing either; I mean, it's a great idea recording an album in some of the most interesting places in the States pertaining to rock music, but the outcome doesn't reflect this in any way. None of the songs feel like they take on new life because of this 'journey'. The music still sounds uncannily like every other Foo Fighters tune.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 05:29
Today they aired the New Orleans leg of their trip. T'was genuinely interesting to see the Foo Fighters talking and jamming with these old school jazz cats - even diving head first into the culture around the music. Dr John even had his own little bit of the movie....

....and then when all is said and done - they come out the other end sounding like NickelbackConfused

I find that very strange. How on earth does one sit together with some of the finest musicians New Orleans has to offer - only to step back into the makeshift recording studio to sound exactly like you've always done? I hear no inspiration......outside of the interviews that is. Lots of that happening everywhere else - like during the days where the band is out sniffing about - talking to their old idols listening to other people's music.

Very interesting show, but ultimately also extremely irritating. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 07:47
I seriously don't get some of my friend's fixation with that band, it's so boring and all the tracks sound exactly the same. They don't get my fixation with Prog, so I think we're even LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 08:32
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I seriously don't get some of my friend's fixation with that band, it's so boring and all the tracks sound exactly the same. They don't get my fixation with Prog, so I think we're even LOL

Join the clubLOL

What strikes me the most strange about all of this is how the actual music differs so incredibly much with the people performing it. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but when you hear Foo Fighters talking about music in general, it's as if they genuinely understand what they're talking about: 'feel', 'tradition', 'musical cultures',  'spaces in the music are just as important as the actual notes' etc etc....yet none of that is audible in their own outputConfused
That's largely why this series is so irritating; on one side you've got these wonderful empathetic people who adore music and music history, yet when the focus is on their own work the show becomes tedious and anodyne. 

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 08:40
Yeah, that seems annoying Confused That's why all of the albums I have where Dave Grohl plays, he's behind the drum kit, that's where he should always be LOL
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 10:00
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Join the clubLOL

What strikes me the most strange about all of this is how the actual music differs so incredibly much with the people performing it. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but when you hear Foo Fighters talking about music in general, it's as if they genuinely understand what they're talking about: 'feel', 'tradition', 'musical cultures',  'spaces in the music are just as important as the actual notes' etc etc....yet none of that is audible in their own outputConfused
That's largely why this series is so irritating; on one side you've got these wonderful empathetic people who adore music and music history, yet when the focus is on their own work the show becomes tedious and anodyne. 

And considering Dave went to see bands like Minor Threat when he was young, and was friends with Buzz Osborne, it's even more perplexing. Nirvana was definitely equally inspired by hardcore and pop music, though, so maybe Foo Fighter's aim is similar– to be pop melodicists within the context of hardcore punk. Still, they don't do the greatest job of it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 10:29
^I largely agree Tony.
Now that I think of it; I was never part of the demographic they cater to. Might've been back when they first started out, but even then I found their sound comparable to every other big rock band coming out of the states.
If they aimed for the kind of music I find interesting, they wouldn't have sold a tenth of the albums they've done over the years. Mjeeah who knows? I also like rock music without the experimental hand-gestures, but there has got to be something more than what just feels like going-through-the-motions of a hundred other contemporary artists for me to really develop any kind of moisture in the trouser department.

- Douglas Adams
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 11:54
were Audioslave better ?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 11:55
Try Rage Against The Machine and then I'm on boardBig smile

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply