Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tangerine Dream, ACMI Theatre Melbourne 20-11-2014
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTangerine Dream, ACMI Theatre Melbourne 20-11-2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tangerine Dream, ACMI Theatre Melbourne 20-11-2014
    Posted: November 20 2014 at 08:48
TANGERINE DREAM - `SORCERER' LIVE at the ACMI THEATRE, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, 20TH NOVEMBER 2014:

Line-Up:
Edgar Froese
Thorsten Quaeschning
Ulrich Schnauss
Hoshiko Yamane

Tangerine Dream performed a continuous two hour set tonight again in Melbourne, Australia, playing directly under a large cinema screen showing the `Sorcerer' film above them. With the dialogue in the movie completely muted, this new Tangerine Dream line-up that debuted a few days ago presented all of the themes from the original 1977 soundtrack, some reworked completely by way of band member Hoshiko Yamane's violin and cello replacing electric guitar. In addition, there was essentially an extra 75 minutes of music added for the occasion, and the band performed uninterrupted for two straight hours.

The band presented the most hypnotic, brooding and dramatic soundtrack possible, with plenty of thick and loud (perfectly emulated!) Mellotron and a variety of beats that gave the music more of a futuristic quality than ever before. A real highlight was watching both Thorsten Quaeschning and Ulrich Schnauss' mastery of improvised keyboard build in several slowly unfolding soundscapes that reached an unbearable level of tension! Founder Edgar Froese offered delicate and perfectly restrained contributions throughout, and all four musicians complimented each-other beautifully.

As good as the Melbourne Town Hall performance was from a few days before, this was far superior and even more immersive. More along the lines of the much-loved Tangerine Dream music of old, it actually succeeded in making the band sound more thrilling, vital and relevant than ever.

If you have the opportunity to see the band perform this soundtrack in your own country, make sure you see it!!

My partners in crime for this event were my best buddy Harry (Prog Archives member Stratcat), music blogger Bruce J and his lovely wife, and I also got to meet two passionate fans Geoff K and Colin A from a T'Dream fangroup, and they couldn't have been more genuine.

Thanks to all of the above for a wonderful evening, and for Tangerine Dream delivering the PERFECT night of progressive-electronic music!

Some of my own personal photos from the night follow:

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - November 20 2014 at 08:48
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 13:14
A more intimate concert, then. Nice Thumbs Up
Did anyone paid attention to the movie? Tongue
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 18:11
Yes, Sam, and I TOTALLY forgot to mention that it was more intimate, thanks!

It was difficult to pay attention to the movie because:

a) It was totally muted, so no film-based audio was present.
b) The music the band was playing was two straight hours of music, and although it had all the material from the original soundtrack worked in, the music never tried to actually match up specifically with the visuals.

There was a guy sitting directly in front of me that was reading the film subtitles on his phone the entire time though!

Just come across this clip, a short one posted by Geoff, one of the T'Dream fans I mentioned above, give you a bit of an idea what the show looked like:

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 18:39
If they matched everything with the movie, it would mean so much more work from them and it would be like The Dark Side of the Rainbow Tongue

The guy was probably waiting for the oportunity to see the movie in the theatre LOL

Really good recording, they sound just like then, and the audience was strangely quiet. Smile

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 18:46
Great review, A-B-B! Sorcerer is one of TD's darkest works. Looks like it was a good show.

Meltdowner: TD audiences listen to the music, they don't scream "Free Bird"! LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 19:03
^ Althought I would like to listen to a TD cover of Free Bird LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 00:36
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Althought I would like to listen to a TD cover of Free Bird LOL

They did cover "Purple Haze"! LOL The first time** was on the Rockoon tour, which made it onto album as 220 Volt Live. Overall, it was nowhere near as good as the Optical Race tour, but Edgar's guitar showcase piece "Hamlet" was better than his guitar spotlight in '88.*

* = California Theater, San Diego, CA (sadly, this venue was closed)
** = Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles, CA (same place where I saw ELP on the Black Moon tour)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 01:02
Verslibre, in answer to your question about the new album `Mala Kunia', I reviewed it just the other day here:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1312193

In my own opinion, it's a step in the right direction, and definitely a world away from the percussion/lead saxophone-driven music their music was stuck in for many years. It's lovely and ambient, and I think this new line-up will really deliver the goods in short time. The newest member Ulrich was a bit of a revelation at the live shows, especially this `Sorcerer' one, and with bringing in modern influences, I think he'll provide a freshness to them. We'll see, I guess!

I did pick up several other CD's they had on sale from their more recent releases from the merchandise stand, but I did leave that tedious Brian May live one well behind!

My friend Bruce, who again attended this show, has done another thorough write-up of it, as well as providing some comparisons between the original `Sorcerer' LP and the recently released double CD kind-of live recording `Sorcerer 2014', you can read it here if you're interested:

http://vinylconnection.com.au/2014/11/21/live-sorcery/

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - November 21 2014 at 01:03
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 04:01
Did they have any opening acts with them? When I saw them live in Copenhagen back in April this year, they had two of the Cluster guys with them and also Neu!.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 08:14
Toaster, no opening act for this cinema screening performance. The band went on stage just after 7:15pm, finished at 9:15pm, then came back at 10pm for a second two hour performance! I only stayed for the first one.

Lucky you to see those kind of guest acts though!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 08:17
Thanks for the review and pics.  I'd really like to see them in concert some day.  I'm mostly familiar only with their 70s and 80s material, so I'd like to experience their current material in the flesh, it would be a great introduction for me.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 14:05
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Verslibre, in answer to your question about the new album `Mala Kunia', I reviewed it just the other day here:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1312193

In my own opinion, it's a step in the right direction, and definitely a world away from the percussion/lead saxophone-driven music their music was stuck in for many years. It's lovely and ambient, and I think this new line-up will really deliver the goods in short time. The newest member Ulrich was a bit of a revelation at the live shows, especially this `Sorcerer' one, and with bringing in modern influences, I think he'll provide a freshness to them. We'll see, I guess!

I did pick up several other CD's they had on sale from their more recent releases from the merchandise stand, but I did leave that tedious Brian May live one well behind!

My friend Bruce, who again attended this show, has done another thorough write-up of it, as well as providing some comparisons between the original `Sorcerer' LP and the recently released double CD kind-of live recording `Sorcerer 2014', you can read it here if you're interested:

http://vinylconnection.com.au/2014/11/21/live-sorcery/

Thanks, I'll read that. I just checked your review...the "Quantum Years," eh? Nice that Ed wants to head into adventurous territ'ry again, but this again reminds me of what he said circa the late 1980s. Actually, I heard of TWO strange things back then, neither of which came to be:

1) A fan asked Edgar point-blank after a concert on the 1988 tour if Tangerine Dream was going to "end" soon, i.e. was Edgar going to disband TD? His answer was yes. (Based purely on hearsay, but as we know, exactly the opposite happened as TD churned out albums like a conveyor beginning not long after.)

2) Edgar said in a print interview that TD was heading into sonic territory (via advanced synthesizer/sampling technology that only they would have hands on, or whatever) of which other bands and musicians of their ilk would have extreme difficulty tailing them...

...okay, that was a load, because Optical Race turned out to be the last album in a great run in which every album sounded almost completely different thematically, compositionally and electronically from the last. Without Chris Franke's stunning sound library, TD sounded like they chose to work with presets caked with delays and reverbs. The collective sound of Lily on the Beach, Melrose, Rockoon, and Turn of the Tides was homogenized and extraordinarily underwhelming. Tyranny of Beauty was a step back in the right direction, but Goblins' Club effectively took them off "autobuy" status for me. LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 18:37
Verslibre, thanks for those tid-bits of information, very interesting!

Urgh, `Rockoon'....isn't that one a shocker! So faceless and charmless!

I don't think this new disc `Mula Kunia' is a radical reworking of their sound, but it's a little more subtle and ambient, so hopefully even better results will emerge from this line-up soon.

Over the course of the two concerts I attended, I picked up several discs - the three CD `Phaedra Farwell Concerts 2014', `One Night in Africa', `Sorcerer 2014', `Franz Kafka: The Castle', `Chandra: The Phantom Ferryman part 2', and a double compilation `Booster VI'. Listening over them all over the last few days, they're all perfectly nice, each with standout tracks, plenty of nice ones, and some throwaways too - so pretty much par of the course with their track record for some time now!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 18:47
Nice souvenirs! I only know Booster from those and it's very nice music. I never listened to the Sorcerer album but after reading that last review I really want to.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 18:52
Thanks, Sam, I haven't listened to that `Booster VI' yet, but I'm back at work starting tomorrow, so that's when I'll be spinning much more music again.

Both the 1977 and the recent 2014 versions of `Sorcerer' are superb, but it's best to treat them as two different things as opposed to comparing them! Both stand up well on their own merits

I just found out that all of these Australian shows were professionally recorded, so there's a good chance they'll receive some sort of official release in the near future. That would be a nice way to remember the shows. Take that, my dodgy Goblin live in Melbourne bootlegs!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 19:20
It's 80's TD with updated beats, don't expected much from it but it's enjoyable.

I'll have to listen to both then Smile

Nice! Nothing's better than bootlegs of concerts you went to Tongue
By the way, I noticed their last DVD was recorded here, but it has a terrible rating: they probably played for half a dozen people because it was not even mediatized Confused
They also played here in 1980 that must have been something, playing the newly released Tangram Big smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 01:29
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Verslibre, thanks for those tid-bits of information, very interesting!

Urgh, `Rockoon'....isn't that one a shocker! So faceless and charmless!

I don't think this new disc `Mula Kunia' is a radical reworking of their sound, but it's a little more subtle and ambient, so hopefully even better results will emerge from this line-up soon.

Over the course of the two concerts I attended, I picked up several discs - the three CD `Phaedra Farwell Concerts 2014', `One Night in Africa', `Sorcerer 2014', `Franz Kafka: The Castle', `Chandra: The Phantom Ferryman part 2', and a double compilation `Booster VI'. Listening over them all over the last few days, they're all perfectly nice, each with standout tracks, plenty of nice ones, and some throwaways too - so pretty much par of the course with their track record for some time now!

How much in the way of "new sounds" are present on Sorcerer 2014? The original album has such a distinct quality that I'm not exactly anticipating a new version of it.

The Booster series is pretty good. There's a good deal of filler, but I'd also check out Booster II and III. The link below might also lead to a selection of Tangerine Dream compilations and soundtracks. Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 07:36
Verslibre, the new version is well worth getting! The first disc, the live performance of the new `Sorcerer' album sees the original music expanded and reinvented. Many of the tracks are much longer now, but all sound perfectly suitable to the mood of the original.

The second disc, meant to be `unused' and unreleased related recordings is probably a bit of a con, but it actually contains simply some of the best modern music they've ever released. It's a lot more ambient, less obvious and has quite a cool dance element throughout it, lots of subtlety and restraint, and is a world away from the sax and extravagant percussion era from a few years back. Please, give this set a try, and I think you'll discovered two completely different albums but both very high quality.

My friend Colin, who I met at the above show, has uploaded almost 40 minutes of footage from the performances (I should have added in my review that the band performed a first two hour show, had an hour break in between, then came back and did it all again for a second screening/live performance!), and with his kind permission, I can post the link below:

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 10:04
So this was the show I missed in CopenhagenOuch
Have to admit, that looks absolutely brilliant. I would've loved to see that. Thanks for making me feel so jealous (yet again).

Anyways, very nice pics and stories here Michael. Kangaroo the PA correspondantClap

Btw I haven't been too impressed with the latest couple of TD albums - make that most of what Froese has been dishing out the past 20 years (A good long vacation and some weed might do him some good methinks), but I'm seriously thinking about buying that Sorcerer 2014 release.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 17:50
I know what you mean, Dave. As much as I like some of them, there's a sameness to a great quantity of the modern albums, and I know how you feel about ultra-clean production.

But I really think the second disc is pretty special, and a world away from the borderline AOR instrumentals they were stuck doing for some time. There's none of those cheesy schmaltzy tracks either. Check these tracks from the second disc out when you have the time and see if they are more to your taste.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>