Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions
    Posted: November 20 2014 at 13:42
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Some of my favourites that I've seen over the last few years are Utopia, Les Revenants, In the Flesh, Black Mirror, and Torchwood's Children of Earth and Miracle Day.

Older faves include The Kingdom (Lars von Trier).
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 16:32
I'm curious. Have you ever looked into anime?
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 16:41
Then you should be watching The Strain on FX.
I would also recommend Grimm and Sleepy Hollow.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 16:44
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Horizons: I like anime.  I worked in Japan before so feel a connection to all things Japanese.  Mostly it's been anime movies, with some more kid-friendly series (such as Heartcatch Precure) which I watch with my daughter.  That said, I did follow Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Dr. Wu: Grimm is showing on Space, the sci-fi station I get, and I think they've been showing Sleepy Hollow too.

The Strain is one I'd definitely like to check out; thanks.

Edited by Logan - November 20 2014 at 16:48
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 05:53
For anime try Ergo Proxy, definitely fits the bill.

How about Battlestar Galactica,the more recent version.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 08:00
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Horizons: I like anime.  I worked in Japan before so feel a connection to all things Japanese.  Mostly it's been anime movies, with some more kid-friendly series (such as Heartcatch Precure) which I watch with my daughter.  That said, I did follow Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Dr. Wu: Grimm is showing on Space, the sci-fi station I get, and I think they've been showing Sleepy Hollow too.

The Strain is one I'd definitely like to check out; thanks.
Also Constantine the tv show just started based on the comics....not bad. Good anti hero stuff.
From a few years back I would also ck out Fringe...good sci-fi with some dark edges.

Edited by dr wu23 - November 21 2014 at 08:02
Haquin
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 08:07
i was going to recomend Malazan Book of the Fallen (book series) then i saw it was for tv, maybe Firefly, the Dome, Neverending Story was pretty dark (when i was 6), Fringe has some bleak and dark themes, season 3 of Heroes is quite dark, there is also a Watership Down series, pretty dark, and Supernatural,
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 10:27
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

For anime try Ergo Proxy, definitely fits the bill.

How about Battlestar Galactica,the more recent version.

As someone who has finished Ergo Proxy i highly recommend it. 

Other shows you may like are Serial Experiements Lain and Texhnolyze.

Thumbs Up
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 15:09
anyone seen the Dome here
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 15:25
Here's an excerpt from the anime series Hellsing OVA.

Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2016 at 14:44
Reviving this rather than starting a new topic, think I moved off site before reading all the comments. I'm more into live action dramas and I generally prefer serials and mini-series. I watched the remake of Battlestar Galactica religiously when it came out, and despite not generally liking such adaptations, that re-imagined version was very good. It was a grower. Will look into Serial Experiments Lain and Texhnolyze. I caught some of Under the Dome when it was showing on TV here, but kept forgetting about it.

I just finished watching both seasons/series of the Swedish robot drama, Real Humans (Äkta människor) which came out in 2012. Excellent show, but sadly, like several other serials I mentioned in my first post, it only lasted two seasons/series, and was left on a cliffhanger. There was a US/UK co-production called Humans that came out last year called Humans which I had intended to watch (Neil Maskell who plays Arby in Channel 4’s Utopia is in it), but then I learned that it was based on the Swedish show, and I tend not to go for re-makes (though multiple novel adaptations are fine).

Was very upset that Utopia and In the Flesh were not renewed past series two, and hope that there will be a third series of Les revenants, though I felt that at least that concluded in quite a satisfactory way.

Doctor Who's Face the Raven and Heaven Sent (I adored Heaven Sent) also gave me that dark dramatic feel that I love.

Will be watching the Japanese television drama of Never Let Me Go with my wife -- one of my favourite books and the film version was well done.

Anyway, keep the recommendations coming (especially if you know and like the shows I have listed).
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 08:57
Current favorite is 'The Magicians ' on sy-fy channel...based on the series of books by Grossman.
I also really like 'Penny Dreadful' which will be back on soon for season 2.
Both are excellent imo.

I forgot to mention 'The Expanse'.....hard core sci-fi about future humans expanding into the solar system and there is a central missing persons mystery going on.

Edited by dr wu23 - March 15 2016 at 09:00
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 18:29
Thanks, Doug, am now looking into those. Penny Dreadful's macabre storytelling seems promising to me (sounds quirky too), and The Expanse for having an interesting central mystery.    The sense of mystery and leaving things to the viewer's imagination is important to me. It's the way the philosophical implications are handled that commonly determines the effectiveness of a sci-fi show, and that's one reason why I like dystopian speculative fiction so much. I have also realized that I like sci-fi/ish soaps quite a bit, which can be hokey. Les revenants (an existential undead tale) is quite remarkable for its bleak atmosphere and utter lack of humour, whereas the violent Utopia has a dark sense of humour, In the Flesh (another undead tale) is angsty, and Real Humans can be kitschy, funny and violent. One thing I commonly find with my favourites too is that existentialist explorations are quite pronounced, which reflects on my own unsurity of being. I often go for tales of alienation, of individuals who have become marginalized... I most whatever I watch, not just an interesting plot but deep and often ambiguous characterization is found Often there's internal as well as external conflict, but I suppose that's common to most drama, that's a Writing 101 thing after all.

A show that I didn't mention that can be very dark in a black comedy way is Misfits -- it's a sort of superantihero type show. I used to like it a lot -- can be very juvenile.   People developed various superpowers because of a lightning storm and some of those powers can be quite hilarious, disturbing and tragic, such as Lactokinesis, the power to manipulate dairy based products, a power to cause genital erosion, hypnotic breasts, and permanent tortoise mimicry.

Edited by Logan - March 15 2016 at 18:54
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 11:38

Thanks, Doug, am now looking into those. Penny Dreadful's macabre storytelling seems promising to me (sounds quirky too), and The Expanse for having an interesting central mystery.    The sense of mystery and leaving things to the viewer's imagination is important to me. It's the way the philosophical implications are handled that commonly determines the effectiveness of a sci-fi show, and that's one reason why I like dystopian speculative fiction so much. I have also realized that I like sci-fi/ish soaps quite a bit, which can be hokey. Les revenants (an existential undead tale) is quite remarkable for its bleak atmosphere and utter lack of humour, whereas the violent Utopia has a dark sense of humour, In the Flesh (another undead tale) is angsty, and Real Humans can be kitschy, funny and violent. One thing I commonly find with my favourites too is that existentialist explorations are quite pronounced, which reflects on my own unsurity of being. I often go for tales of alienation, of individuals who have become marginalized... I most whatever I watch, not just an interesting plot but deep and often ambiguous characterization is found Often there's internal as well as external conflict, but I suppose that's common to most drama, that's a Writing 101 thing after all.

A show that I didn't mention that can be very dark in a black comedy way is Misfits -- it's a sort of superantihero type show. I used to like it a lot -- can be very juvenile.   People developed various superpowers because of a lightning storm and some of those powers can be quite hilarious, disturbing and tragic, such as Lactokinesis, the power to manipulate dairy based products, a power to cause genital erosion, hypnotic breasts, and permanent tortoise mimicry.

Except for Les Revenants....I'm not sure I'm familiar with Utopia, In The Flesh , and Real Humans.
There are more and more 'weird' tv shows all the time....it's hard to keep up with all of them.
I started watching Orphan Black a while back and now I'm a season or  two behind;  the same thing happened with Game of Thrones....stopped watching because I didn't have the time with all the other things I was following. I used to watch Helix also but I think it was canceled. I sometimes will watch an episode of the comic book shows like Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, Marvels Shield...etc.
The weird ones I'm currently watching are:
The Magicians
Grimm
Supernatural
Lost Girl
Bitten
The Walking Dead
I also watch some prime time shows like The Blacklist, Elementary, and Person Of Interest.

Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 14:59
There's so much great stuff to watch these days, and of course with the internet, PVRs, more specialty stations, and other services its become easier to find things and watch "on demand". Utopia is fantastic, made by Channel 4 in England, that and Black Mirror were recommended to me in a British thread I made here some years ago. The violence can be really off-putting, though. I've introduced it to a few guests at my house and half loved it, while the other half could not stomach it. Here the Space channel have shown it, as well as all the others I mentioned, but it's also available online (broadband recommended). I watch quite a bit at places such as Dailymotion (which would be a good name for a high fibre cereal).

Utopia's basic premise concerns overpopulation.
In The Flesh is about rehabilitated zombies, and how accepting society is of these people.
Real Humans, like In the Flesh, deals with marginalization, in this case it's androids and there are questions about how accepting society should be of them.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 21:38

There's so much great stuff to watch these days, and of course with the internet, PVRs, more specialty stations, and other services its become easier to find things and watch "on demand". Utopia is fantastic, made by Channel 4 in England, that and Black Mirror were recommended to me in a British thread I made here some years ago. The violence can be really off-putting, though. I've introduced it to a few guests at my house and half loved it, while the other half could not stomach it. Here the Space channel have shown it, as well as all the others I mentioned, but it's also available online (broadband recommended). I watch quite a bit at places such as Dailymotion (which would be a good name for a high fibre cereal).

In The Flesh is about rehabilitated zombies, and how accepting society is of these people.
Real Humans, like In the Flesh, deals with marginalization, in this case it's androids and there are questions about how accepting society should be of them.

Thanks for the heads up....I'll look into Utopia and the other ones.
Smile
ps: I'm also a big P K Dick fan.....have a personal letter from him before he passed away.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 22:00
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up....I'll look into Utopia and the other ones.Smile
ps: I'm also a big P K Dick fan.....have a personal letter from him before he passed away.

I'll definitely be watching the shows you've mentioned.

Getting a personal letter is amazing. Very jealous. There's no writer who has drawn me in more than him.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 02:07
Did anyone catch the opening episode of Westworld?

It certainly hints at being dark and as a concept AI has moved on considerably since 1973 so there could be enough depth in it to sustain a TV series but whether the theme-park setting has enough breadth is another question. The script and acting is far better than the previous attempt to bring Michael Crichton 1973 film to the small screen (even if Sir Anthony Hopkins seems to have turned-up, recited the script and gone home, but then when he does that he still turns in still a vastly superior performance than most actors these days)

Edited by Dean - October 05 2016 at 02:07
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 02:10
^ Yeah looks worth catching.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 02:34
Really looking forward to Westworld. 

Has nobody mentioned the Netflix-show Stranger Things yet - or am I blind? 

Probably my all-time favorite series is Carnivale (two seasons on HBO) Feels like it was specifically made for someone like myself. Dark, slow, brooding and magic with a kind of "Lynchian dreamlogic" (but never nonsensical) and an uncomfortably unpredictable evil.  

Carnivāle earned its following through stunning visuals, and a musical storytelling method that was both subtle and brilliant. The music of Carnivāle is a show in and unto itself, with character themes based on ethnic instruments, and subtle clues as to character relationships through similarities in musical sounds.

The show portrayed, not only the struggle of characters, but through the use of the Knights Templar, Tarot, nuclear tests, and even genealogical character links and biographies developed before the show even began production, Carnivāle became a study of the mythology of Good-vs-Evil.

Daniel Knauf told critics of the show that Carnivāle was intended to be demanding with a lot of subtext, and admitted that “you may not understand everything that goes on but it does make a certain sense”.

Edit: Although not all that bad - it does look like those who made the trailer for the first season is trying to sell Carnivale as some sort of magic-realism-Hollywood-blockbuster-epic, but its closer to an arthouse movie really.  

Edited by Saperlipopette! - October 05 2016 at 02:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>