Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 16:46
^ I like the look of that.

A little nudity, wouldn't be the worst I have seen from a children's show. ;)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1atuz

I watched Rainbow as a child. Mind you, unlike that, this was never intended to air.

Originally posted by wikipedia wikipedia wrote:

In 1979, the cast and crew of Rainbow made a special exclusive sketch for the Thames TV staff Christmas tape, sometimes referred to as the "Twangers" episode. This sketch featured plenty of deliberate sexual innuendo (beginning with Zippy peeling a banana, saying 'One skin, two skin, three skin, four...' before being interrupted), and was never shown at the time (as it was never intended to be screened to the general public.) It also included Geoffrey convincing the viewers to 'bounce' their balls, but if they did not have any balls, they could ask a friend if they could play with his. Jane also claimed that she was "blowing a lot with Rodger". Soon, Zippy asked them to stop, suggesting whether to play with a blowing tube and maracas, so they could start singing "The Plucking Song"....

Anyway, one of favourite sci-fi fantasy show that has a darkness to it is Chocky. I just love it.

Mentioned before methinks (or no, probably in British SF thread as with this one I was thinking more about newer series), but Blake's 7 is another sort of children's one one that can be really dark.

Edited by Logan - September 10 2017 at 17:01
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 13:38
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

....Incidentally, I did watch Stranger Things last month, and I absolutely loved it. Partially it was that 80s aesthetic and the soundtrack that hooked me. I hadn't been that impressed with Netflix produced stuff, but that one was great. Speaking of Netflix produced things, I wasn't so keen on their series of Black Mirror (preferring the Channel 4 ones), but I did like the last episode a lot, although it could have been tighter....

Quoting myself from the beginning of the year, but I only now bothered to re-read my post. I must not yet have seen The Black Mirror episode Shut Up and Dance from series/ season three (being an anthology series one can watch in any order). That is a classic, brilliant episode of Black Mirror.

For those with Netflix:

My two favourite episodes per series are:

Series one: Fifteen Million Merits and The National Anthem
Series 2: White Bear and White Christmas
Series 3: Shut Up and Dance and Hated in the Nation

I'm a big admirer of Charlie Brooker and wish more people would look for the Zombie meets Big Brother drama Dead Set. I think it's quite brilliant, and was rather expecting that Netflix Canada would acquire the rights to that what with taking on Black Mirror. That and In the Flesh are my two favourite modern zombie shows (Les Revenants too if it counted -- sort of does). Zombie stuff has been rather played to death, but I also loved the recent film The Girl With All the Gifts (the director of that directed an upcoming episode of Black mirror called Black Museum), and Train to Busan was enjoyable.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 10:42
Sorry if I now seem to be talking to myself. But there's a new SF series that I will be interested in seeing called Electric Dreams which is based on Philip K. Dick. I love Philip K. Dick, along with Kurt Vonnegut, he's a particular favourite author of mine in the "fantastic" genre. It seems that it's already showing in the UK, but in Canada we get it on Space starting on November 12.

I see it's titled Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams, I first heard about it the other day in a space commercial (when watching the premiere of Star Trek's Discovery).

Steve Buscemi, yeah!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 15:58
Perhaps this can be my little SF on TV blog (I tried another SF forum but I found the inmates too serious for my tastes).

I didn't wait it for it to be on Canada's Space channel, but have watched the first four episodes of Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams. "The Hood Maker" I enjoyed, but I found it flawed. "Impossible Planet" I found poor. But I liked the third episode, "The Commuter", much more. The story of the father resonated with me; it has parallels with what I'm going through. I also found that it felt more like Dick to me (sorry if that sounds rude). The one with Steve Buscemi, "Crazy Diamond", I adored. The atmosphere, the music, the dialogue, the aesthetic, everything about it I loved. It was a dense story, and it reminded me of Utopia and I wondered if people who worked with Utopia played a hand, and indeed they did.

Also planning to catch up on the rest of The Handmaid's Tale series.

And I've been watching Star Trek's Discovery. I found it really clunky, with poor dialogue and exposition, as well as elements that didn't wake sense to me. That said, I genuinely liked the fourth (the latest) episode a great deal, so I will continue with it (I would anyway since it's on the Space Channel here in Canada and I subscribe to that).
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 22:02
Looking forward to Stranger Things 2 and is there going to be a Westworld 2....?
American Horror Story -Cult is decent as is Channel Zero -No End House.......not too dark but I like The Inhumans and The Gifted on American tv.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 08:01
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Looking forward to Stranger Things 2 and is there going to be a Westworld 2....?
American Horror Story -Cult is decent as is Channel Zero -No End House.......not too dark but I like The Inhumans and The Gifted on American tv.

I'm really looking forward to Stranger Things (coming October 27) and Westworld. HBO said that Westworld should come out in the Spring of 2018 (posted a trailer for season 2 on page two of this thread if anyone's interested).

I've been wanting to watch American Horror Story -- been meaning to see which service provides it. Inhumans is one that I meant to but forgot to record on my TV; hopefully they will repeat. Those others I'm going to look into.

Edited by Logan - October 11 2017 at 08:02
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2017 at 10:41
So I marathoned Stranger Things season 2 with my daughter and son yesterday, anyone else finish watching it? I'm itching to do some spoilery talk....

EDIT: Mind you, for spoilery talk it would be better to have a thread on Stranger Things marked as a Stranger Things SPOILERS thread, but won't bother if there's not much interest in this forum.

Edited by Logan - October 28 2017 at 11:45
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 02:40
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

So, I finished watching season/ series one of Westworld, and I found it very good. It has more depth than the film version, and I like series/ films/ novels that have central ethical questions. I'm now looking forward to season 2.

To those who like Westworld, I would suggest checking out the series Real Humans (which was remade as Humans).

I decided to watch Westworld after listening to the Sam Harris with Paul Bloom podcast conversation, Abusing Dolores. https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/abusing-Dolores A.I. is an interesting topic.

Am watching it and it's excellent.   Great cast and an interesting allegory for the Simulation Hypothesis.   Leave it to a Nolan.

Thumbs Up

BTW not at all impressed with American Gods .   Some books shouldn't be adapted.

Edited by Atavachron - November 16 2017 at 03:06
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 14:25
Still watching Stranger Things on Netflix.........
I kind of liked American Gods....but I didn't read the book.
I also like Blacklist which is more about crime but Spader is excellent.
I'm also watching two other things:  Ghost Wars and  just finished Preacher.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 18:14
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Still watching Stranger Things on Netflix.

Keep hearing good things.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 18:18
Stranger Things is the greatest sensation since well, most things, i objectivly love it and subjectivly is amazed by its scope, humor and story building.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 19:43
^ Yeah, Stranger Things is really great, love it too, and ^^^^ I f'in adore Westworld. Superb. I rewatched the first season recently -- neat to watch it again when you know what's going on and what is going to happen. Very addictive, binge-watch worthy show, as is Stranger Things. Westworld is expected to come back this Spring (2018).

Another show I watched recently that I enjoyed is the British Crazyhead from the maker of Misfits (noticed it on Netflix Canada). And I finished watching Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams -- I loved the "Crazy Diamond" (a Syd Barrett reference) episode with Steve Buscemi, which has a Utopia vibe (has people who worked on that show and it shows) but was not that keen on the anthology series on the whole. Good show, but not up to Black Mirror for me, which brings me to why I'm posting.

It's been announced that Black Mirror series or season, depending on your locality, four will come on December 29, 2017.

Here's the main trailer on Netflix:

Each episode has its own trailer, but this trailer I found fun (which is not me saying that I think that the episode won't be dark):

Another showdate has been announced today, as I've just found out, Inside No. 9's series 4 is coming back on January 2nd, 2018 at 10:00 pm on BBC 2. It's an anthology show that while different, I would recommend to those into Black Mirror.

I am also planning to catch up on Game of Thrones, Mr. Robot, Fargo and the latest Twin Peaks as time permits.

Recommendations, SF, fantasy or not, remain appreciated. Still wishing they'd do a series 3 of Utopia, but I guess it will never happen... Unless maybe Netflix steps in before it's definitely too late -- hint, hint, you Netflix execs who visit the ProgArchives forum to gauge what shows are hot via the "What are you watching right now?" topic.

Edited by Logan - December 06 2017 at 19:46
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 08:42
I finished watching Stranger Things 2....very good.....wonder where they are going to go with season 3?
I have only watched a few early Black Mirror episodes ...never seem to have time to watch more of those.
Looking forward to Westworld 2....not sure what they will do with the plot....since sentience came to the robots.
... two guilty pleasures....Lucifer and Supernatural.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 08:45
BTW....anyone recall Falling Water......and how about  a show called Intruders.....Eleven from Stranger Things was in Intruders.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 12:00
Don't know Falling Water.

For a second I thought you were talking about The Invaders -- one of my faves from the 60s. Intruders looks great (I see it also features John Simm who played the Master in Doctor Who and was in the original British version of Life on Mars). Speaking of the Master, I'm looking forward to the Doctor Who Christmas special. While not the darkest thing out there, I feel that Capaldi's turn has been sufficiently dark to mention in this topic (especially in, as I'm sure I've said before, Heaven Sent).

Incidentally, I really love Black Mirror. There aren't that many episodes (13 so far and another six coming) so I found it less daunting to approach than something such as, say, Game of Thrones, which has lasted for 67 episodes and where I came late to the party (and GoT working as a serial and not an anthology series like Black Mirror). Well, when I discovered Black Mirror, they still only had six or seven episodes. White Bear and White Christmas are the two episodes I seem to return to the most, but I've watched all of them multiple times. I'm a fan of the show creator, Charlie Brooker, and really love his five episode zombie meets Big Brother miniseries, Dead Set (total runtime is only 141 minutes, so for those looking for a short series, it runs movie length).   I'm glad they added it to our Netflix though I'd already seen it. I know that I'm yakking on and on, but another British apocalyptic mini series I liked is The Last Train (here in Canada it was aired as Cruel Earth).

As for Westworld's season 2, I don't want to speculate too much and am avoiding reading speculation, but I do hope we might get considerably more of Anthony Hopkins' character either as the original or as a host (I suspected that Ford was building a copy of himself). He was so brilliant in the show, I thought. And I think it'll focus on the host uprising. It will be interesting as they explore notions of sapience and as more of the hosts become aware of their nature and if/ how much autonomy develops.

EDIT: Was just thinking about what I said about Hopkin's character (Ford). Doing so might cheapen his departure (rather like Clara coming back in Doctor Who, and then the situation with Bill from Doctor Who). Flashbacks/ memories of Ford would work though, and maybe a little more....

Edited by Logan - December 07 2017 at 15:10
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2017 at 07:17
Some info.....
http://www.usanetwork.com/fallingwater
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbRbU5sMlH0
Intruders
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 20:52
I found this Stranger Things dub by Bad Lip Reading very amusing:

EDIT: Should mention that their other stuff such as the Star Wars dubs and songs are hilarious, imo, too.

Edited by Logan - December 11 2017 at 21:58
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 21:04
I found Stranger Things a little Spielbergy but it is definitely watchable.  Much preferred WW.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 21:31
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I found Stranger Things a little Spielbergy but it is definitely watchable.  Much preferred WW.

It is quite a lot Spielbergy I would say as they referenced works by him quite a bit and were very inspired by him (E.T. obviously and Close Encounters of the Third Kind). They also make references to other films of the time, but the makers have mentioned the particular influence of Spielberg. That nostalgic homage factor is part of it charm. I love Stranger Things, but Westworld's season two has been the one I've been most excited about. I adore Westoworld. It's my favourite SF serial to come out since Channel 4's Utopia and is one of my "all-time" favourite shows.

EDIT: fixed broken link to Utopia trailer (it can be one helluva disturbing and violent show -- not everyone could stomach it).

Edited by Logan - December 11 2017 at 22:36
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 15:34
Also watching this tv show called Ghost Wars.....a little cheesy at times but weirdly interesting also.
Ghost entering our dimension in a small town in Alaska....killing and possessing people.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>