Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2017 at 12:32
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Also watching this tv show called Ghost Wars.....a little cheesy at times but weirdly interesting also.
Ghost entering our dimension in a small town in Alaska....killing and possessing people.

That looks pretty cool even if for the Alaska setting.

Don't know if I mentioned it here, but I enjoyed one called the OA (on Netflix).   Also been watching an Australian one called Glitch. And I watched the 3%.

Was also watching Hemlock Grove and Between on off.

Two series I have lined up to watch on Netflix are Dark and a French one called La Mante (not sci-fi or fantasy, but a crime drama mini-series) that I loved the trailer for (coming to Netflix on the 29th).

Edited by Logan - December 22 2017 at 12:39
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2017 at 20:11
^I've been meaning to ck out OA and Dark.....as well as Hemlock Grove......never seem to have enough time to watch all the weird programs.
I'm looking forward to the new Dr Who on Monday.
;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2017 at 21:23
The OA is a slow burner, and can be depressing, but ultimately was very good, I thought.

Rather sad to say, but Doctor Who is what I'm most looking forward to on Christmas Day. The rest of the day will be really busy and that will be when I can sit down and unwind.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 10:42
To mention some upcoming shows:

The X Files will be returning to Fox (never mind that I kind of hate Fox -- I mean the broadcaster, not Mulder) Jan. 3, 2018 and in Canada on CTV, with season 11 at 8pm ET/PT. I have already set my PVR to record the series. Think there will be 11 episodes. I only really loved the sweet, humorous and self-referential episode "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster" from season 10 in 2016.

Also, Star Trek: Discovery returns on January 7th, 2018 (will show on Space in Canada) I started off not liking the series (too talky-talky and too much exposition), but it really grew on me.

Black Mirror, again, is coming to Netflix on December 29, 2017. I'm really looking forward to this one. Shame that my Netflix Canada apps aren't even really advertising it (often they build hype by highlighting shows at the top of the screen, but it hasn't come up once for me nor have they notified me in my recommendations that it is coming even though I've "liked" it).

By the way, I loved the Doctor Who Christmas special.   Sad that the new season/series won't come until, as I've read, Fall of 2018. Not too pleased with all the companions -- my favourite Capaldi episode was just him alone in Heaven Sent but this will be a different dynamic with a different show-runner and Doctor and I am keeping an open mind. It seems that the diversity of characters is meant to reflect a changing attitude to changing times in part. Some call it a too PC move, but many don't like change as the status quo is comforting often to people. Anyway, perhaps Chibnall likes working with a larger ensemble -- Broadchurch I really like which had many characters including three The Doctors and one companion (David Tennant, Jodie Whittaker who was also in a Black Mirror episode, David Bradley who has portrayed the first Doctor, and Arthur Darvill (Rory in Doctor Who).

Edited by Logan - December 27 2017 at 10:48
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 13:28
Heck I'm still waiting for Game of Thrones season 7 to drop (I don't have HBO and don't watch that kinda stuff online).   Eighth and last season due in summer.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 11:34
I still have a few seasons of Games of Thrones to catch up on -- when we have all seasons in an Ultra HD Blu-ray I will purchase it as I do love GoT. I had PVR'd season 7, but my PVR was replaced and I wanted to finish the first six first.

I just watched the first episode of Black Mirror series/season 4 (‘USS Callister'). I won't give spoilers, but it revisits some earlier ideas from the show. I really loved the episode and it bodes well for the other five episodes of this "season". For those with Netflix who have yet to check out the anthology series (each episode is a stand-alone so no viewing order required) I think this would be a great place to start.

Edited by Logan - December 29 2017 at 11:35
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 12:48
When I re-watched the whole GoT series I was stunned at how much I'd forgotten or just didn't fully understand the first time.   It was like watching a new show.   I'd highly recommend it.

Edited by Atavachron - December 30 2017 at 02:36
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 08:54
I will do so.

Also re-watching Westworld was an excellent experience (knowing what was going to happen got me looing at things in a different way and I picked up some details that I missed the first time). Game of Thrones has a lot going on and definitely could use at least a second viewing.

Incidentally, I made the mistake of watching a Black Mirror episode with my family last night which made for very uncomfortable viewing -- wish they came up with PG edits of some of these shows. Warning, may contain some violence such as gentle noogies, firm handshakes and the occasional light slap (on the face rather than on the buttocks); bad language such as "gee wizz!", "oh golly-gosh!" and "oh my giddy aunt"; some nudity such as a Sphynx (a hairless cat), hairless rats, dogs and the occasional hairless beaver (but no genitalia depicted on any animal) and bald heads; and some sexual content of the "Do you identify as a man, woman, neutral or other?" ilk.
I wouldn't watch Game of Thrones with them and I definitely would not watch Westworld with them.

Edited by Logan - December 30 2017 at 08:56
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 15:30
^ LOL   I know.   What happened to watching a not-so-embarrassing show or movie with family?   Doesn't seem to exist anymore, unless Frozen is everyone's idea of a good time.

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 19:13
I can't compete with the experts in the new stuff - but a very unconventional choice you might find on the net in some form is a classic UK children's Sci-Fi/fantasy series called 'Children of the Stones'! Very 70s, but had it all for me as a teenager coming home from school. Loved all the stone circles/cosmic stuff - I bet Hawkwind and Gong loved it!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 20:56
Looking forward to the new X Files episodes though I was a little disappointed in last season.....they seemed lightweight and not well done.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 11:23
I only loved the comedic episode from the last X Files series (Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster). By the way, being a Vancouverite, I'm glad that they moved back to Vancouver for filming. Still, really looking forward to it. I had only regularly watched the show in the first run over the first four, I think, seasons (the episode that stayed with me the most was the one about the inbred family)

Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I can't compete with the experts in the new stuff - but a very unconventional choice you might find on the net in some form is a classic UK children's Sci-Fi/fantasy series called 'Children of the Stones'! Very 70s, but had it all for me as a teenager coming home from school. Loved all the stone circles/cosmic stuff - I bet Hawkwind and Gong loved it!

I like Children of the Stones a lot -- good reccomendation. I did a poll topic called Televisual British SF or fantasy http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106740 in 2016 and and it was mentioned there -- I regretted forgetting that one.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 14:31
Tore through GoT season 7 in a couple nights.   Good, but not quite as compelling as the previous six.   That's okay, I don't expect miracles and there's only one left to go anyway.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 14:51
I count myself as lucky that I still have as much GoT still to watch as I do and then comes the re-watching....

Incidentally, if you have Netflix, I do suggest at least trying to watch the Star Trek inspired first episode of Black Mirror's season 4 ("USS Callister"). I liked it a lot, but many others wouldn't I expect (especially if they are for some inexplicable reason expecting a Full House inspired Black Mirror).
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 15:09
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I count myself as lucky that I still have as much GoT still to watch as I do and then comes the re-watching....

Incidentally, if you have Netflix, I do suggest at least trying to watch the Star Trek inspired first episode of Black Mirror's season 4 ("USS Callister"). I liked it a lot, but many others wouldn't I expect (especially if they are for some inexplicable reason expecting a Full House inspired Black Mirror).

I'll add my recommendation of the USS Callister episode - if you have any love inside for retro Star Trek. Nice twist just before half-time changes your perspective. Reminded me of the old Red Dwarf episode, ""Better than Life" I think? That was some episode - vIrtual reality, Timothy Spall and of course Dwayne Dibbley too!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 18:39
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

It looked a bit close in tone to The Orville which was..well..not so good.   But I'm sure the British do it better.   I do want to watch the first season though.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 21:21
^^ Ah yes, I remember Better Than Life (well, i had to look it up, but now I do). I didn't think of it. When I was watching it I was reminded of Black Mirror's Black Christmas episode and Existenz to an extent and it has similarities with Twilight Zone's It's a Good Life (I love classic Twilight Zone and Outer Limits).

^ The episode is multitoned. Anyway, it's different from the farcical The Orville or something like Galaxy Quest. Critics were not nearly so kind to the Orville. Black Mirror is more Twilight Zoneish, and tells, I think, generally interesting stories with a lot of humanity. It's fairly philosophical show that says things about technological developments and psychology. It's quite a satirical show in a dark dramatic way. I like the issues the show raises and the questions it poses. One can, I think, pick some logic holes in it, though. Anyway, I don't want to praise it too much since that can create too much expectation followed by deflation. I loved the Star Trekish epsiode, though. Great characterisation, and oh, that ending....

I think starting off with the first season (or first "series" for the Brits in particular) is a good plan. I started from the beginning (some people really hate that first episode, but I thought it was great -- hooked me with its satirical edge and its audacity). And the second of series one while so different is really good, I think. The third is many people's favourite episode. In season two I love White Bear, but many don't. It's a very fine anthology series, imo, glad you're planning to give it a shot (show was a recommendation to me in an old topic about one of my favourite films -- The Bothersome Man and maybe one other place too). Anyway, sorry, not good to go in with many expectations, but I like it with this show when certian expectations don't pan out (and sometimes when they do).

On a different note, I watched another series with some Black Mirror like feel recently, and with a bit of an American Horror Story feel, which was similar to the premise of Inside No. 9 called Room 104 (2017 HBO anthology series). Seems like an awfully similar concept to Inside No. 9 (don't know if the former inspired it, and if it did, if the makers would admit it). ""Jay and Mark Duplass are two of the most inventive talents in TV today,” said HBO president of programming Casey Bloys. “We’re excited to see what they do with this unique concept.”" ( Deadline.com ).

Originally posted by wikipedia wikipedia wrote:

The series [Room 104] is set in a single room of an American hotel, exploring characters who pass through it in each episode. Each episode is a different genre with some episodes more comical in nature and some more dramatic and some with horror and crime themes.

Originally posted by imdb imdb wrote:

[Inside No 9, nee 2014, is an] Anthology series which mixes dark humor with genres like crime, horror or drama. The show invites viewers into some very different No.9s, where the ordinary and mundane rub shoulders with the extraordinary and macabre.

Then there's Dimension 404 from 2017 which sounds a bit like Black Mirror meets Inside No. 9:

[Dimension 404 is an] An anthology series that explores the wonders and terrors of our digital age, from outrageous horror comedy to mind-bending action adventure.

[Black Mirror, nee 2011, is] An anthology series exploring a twisted, high-tech world where humanity's greatest innovations and darkest instincts collide.

I'm sure all such concepts have been around for a long time.

Edited by Logan - January 03 2018 at 21:27
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 21:56
BM definitely sounds worth a good look, maybe I'll pop the disc.   Did you catch a film from 2017 called The Circle ?   Nothing amazing but solid story in a similar vein.   My review ~

The Circle
Timely, funny, and absolutely creepy tale of a young woman who gets her dream job with a company that connects everything with everyone at every moment.   Emma Watson's stellar American accent and perfect tenor set the tone for a story that everybody from little kids to eighty year-olds will identify with and appreciate.   The really interesting thing about The Circle is that it's more than plausible, entirely likely, and not that far away.   Ellar Coltrane rocks as Watson's concerned friend.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 22:35
I had put it on "My List" with Netflix. Later I watched the first few minutes of it before something came up. Thanks, looks interesting, I will watch it.   
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 12:33
I still haven't seen The Circle. I should before it goes.

I did watch both seasons of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on Netflix. I had caught the first episode on TV and it didn't appeal, but giving it more of a shot I liked it very much. Totally different from the books (loved the Douglas Adams' novels), but I'm glad that they didn't just rework the novels.

Better, much better, and although it doesn't really fit the SF/fantasy theme of this thread (well, aside from a UFO), I watched the first two seasons of Fargo and am watching the third. I adored this show. It's probably almost time to start watching other ones that people into it like, such as True Detective (which I've heard is awesome), Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul and Ozarks.

Maybe I should do a crime show thread, in which case I'd include in my list ones I liked such as Utopia (also mentioned here, but while more SF themed, I think would interest many people who enjoy Fargo), The Bridge, Hannibal, Dexter, Happy Valley, Broadchurch, The Killing, Dicte etc. And classic inspector series such as Inspector Morse....

So many shows, so little time.

I'm about to watch the latest Inside No. 9, "Once Removed".

EDIT: Oh, incidentally, my favourite Black Mirror episodes this "season" were the ones that bookended it, USS Callister and Black Museum, followed by Crocodile and Metalhead (loved the look of Metalhead). All good, though. I expect that Hang the DJ will get awards, and maybe there's something broken in me, or I'm just not a romantic at heart, but the more "romantic" ones don't resonate so much with me. So I'm not that big on San Junipeiro or Be Right Back.

Edited by Logan - January 17 2018 at 12:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>