Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 14:15
Inside No 9 has started very strongly. Once Removed was very clever and well scripted with its reverse timeline. However - can't shake off the genius of the 'Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room' episode. Funny, sad and moving - with such a good knowledge of that 70s/80s era of outdated/Non-PC double acts on British TV. I think it was possibly Reece Shearsmith's greatest moment!

Couldn't get into the Netflix version of Dirk Gently. The BBC adaptation with Stephen Mangan was so good and I was sad when it wasn't recommissioned. Can't fault the US version - just miss the UK version so much!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 07:58
You're right, Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room was terrific -- very poignant. They never fail to impress me. While I have my favourite IN9 episodes, I've enjoyed all of them. I have enjoyed Steve and Reece's more prominent acting roles over the last two episodes, although they get many great actors who want to work with them.

Incidentally, I was reading Steve Pemberton's twitter feed, I don't tweet myself, but like to read other people's tweets, and someone re-cut Once Removed in a linear timeline fashion
CLICK I haven't managed to play the drive.google.com file.

Speaking as a Canadian, it's a shame that this show is not getting the exposure it deserves on this side of the pond. Really wish BBC Canada, which isn't even really BBC and is terrible, or better yet Netflix, would pick it up over here.

I've been wanting to see the BBC version, and will scour the web to see it. I used to subscribe to the BBC iPlayer, but they pulled the service for us and I don't like proxies. It took me a few episodes to get into the US version, but I expect that I would have enjoyed the BBC one more. Upon first watching the US version of Dirk Gently's, which is so very different from the books, I felt quite appalled by the difference. I felt similarly when it came to the movie version of Hitchhiker's.   I felt that adaptation was really sad, especially after the battles that Adams had gone through and all the time wasted in trying to get a film produced in his lifetime. It didn't do justice to his memory or vision and seemed like a pretty typical Hollywood hatchet job rather than a loving tribute (loved the So Long and Thanks for All the Fish opening number, though, at least that was inspired).

Edited by Logan - January 19 2018 at 07:58
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 17:33
Good points as ever, Logan. Don't tweet myself, so thanks for the Steve Pemberton links. It would be interesting to see the timeline version, but the shock if seeing so many dead bodies in the original opening scene and working out WTF was going on, still makes me chuckle!

Good luck in finding the UK version of Dirk Gently. You might not like it, but that Adam's quirky, laid-back warmth of the books was captured well in my view - even if they also deviate from the books somewhat. The first episode involved time travel and was both ingenious and hilarious - in fact the more I remember it, the more I think I'll see if a DVD box set exists! Time for an Amazon.uk search methinks!

Edited by Squonk19 - January 22 2018 at 17:35
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 21:41
You had me at time travel, ingenious and hilarious, those are three of my favourite things.

I feel confident that I will like the UK version of Dirk Gently and am glad that they're not just retelling the books. Thanks, Squonk. I'll look for a boxset myself (I have a region free player).
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 17:19
I'd like your view of tonight's Inside No.9 - To Have And To Hold, Logan. Interesting story, but didn't really grab me like the others. Couldn't empathise with the characters - but probably my fault. A touch of Poe's A Cask of Amontillado and some news items over the last year or so - but I'll say no more.

Found a UK DVD of the 4 episodes of Dirk Gently on Amazon, so sorted!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 18:42
Rambling thoughts as I take a break from work: I have to be careful not to give spoilers and that's making it harder to express myself. I could empathise with the situation somewhat having lived in a sterile (well, best I not get too personal), but not so much the characters. It didn't fully engage me. It made me cringe in part (as was intentional no doubt), and actually I found it a too predictable story. I also found some plot points unlikely (not that IN9 is always a very rational universe, of course). Well-made and well-acted by the two leads, but ultimately I found it lacking and some of it came off as forced to me. I know it's a slice of life, but had we seen bit when they seemed a happy, normal couple early on (I would have done it with photographs on the wall of them, unless I missed those which would work well to parallel the photography angle) then I might have felt more for them and I lacked sympathy all around. This one where I would have liked to come in and make some changes to the scenes since I think there could have been more atmosphere and depth. I would have made it more mysterious at the end, implying rather than showing, and I would have minimised any character interaction except for the two main ones. Other than thinking about how I think it could be improved, the story didn't make me think much. Although I guess one can be left thinking about motivations and justice (if something is morally justified as well as sensible), as well as a back story.... Karma is a... one might say.

Edited by Logan - January 23 2018 at 18:45
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 21:16
Yes, Black Mirror, big time.
Very high quality, often dark and disturbing, always thought-provoking and pushing the edge of current tech trends into the near, dystopian future.
Excellent show!
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 16:43
I was absolutely sure, by reading the premise, that I was going to hate The Magicians. Quite the contrary. What a load of fun. Most of the characters are amazing and it is fun to see what they do with a pretty low budget.  
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 17:11
Inside No. 9 back on form tonight, Logan, in my humble opinion. 12 Angry Men meets the British thespians (clearly a lot of personal experience of the 'darlings' in the script from Steve and Reece). Although quite a nice twist at the end, I think the strength of this one was just in the sniping between all of them - that could have gone on for hours for me - reminded me of some intolerable morning meetings I've attended!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 20:11
I love The Magicians......great fun show.
I recommend Falling Water and Counterpart....both very good conspiracy shows.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 00:06
Inside No. 9 ended with an interesting take on the old 'Monkey's Paw' story. Bit of a 'curate's egg' but liked the dark feel and nice to see Nigel Planer again. The end was a bit of a cop out though. Overall, a good series though, with some real highlights and only the odd mis-step. Well done Reece and Steve!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 08:56
I liked the finale. They have said, as I recall, that they often think of alternate endings, and I wish they had the budget and time to film those too as I would love to be able to watch alternate versions. It's a very tight production.

I do feel that I came across as too harsh in my lame critique of To Have and to Hold. I was looking for negatives. Great series and glad that another series has been commissioned.

As for another show, the Space Channel in Canada still has one more Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams to air, which is Autofac, unless my PVR missed it (it is an anthology series loosely based on Dick's short stories) and that has been a disappointment on the whole. I am a major Dickhead, and I feel that the show too often doesn't capture the spirit of the man. Still, some good episodes.

Another show I'm watching now is Black Lightning. I'm not usually much into superhero/ superpower type stuff (in TV I loved loved Misfits but not Heroes), but this American series I am enjoying. I have enjoyed various dark films based on comics and manga.

I started on Altered Carbon, but not into it so far. Sense8 is one that many seem to love but I couldn't get into. I should look at Den of Geek to see what they suggest as I like that site. Been watching Helix on Netflix, but it has never managed to fully engage me as I don't think that it's a very smartly written series, people, who should be brilliant, do silly things, the dialogue is clunky, and the show is not tight enough. Got impatient with it.

Falling Water is one I've really wanted to see. Counterpart looks cool.

My favourite show that I'm still watching is Fargo (season three). The third season is not on Netflix otherwise I would have seen it already. That show blew me away -- I was late coming to it.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 11:51
I just started watching Altered Carbon on Netflix. It's pretty good so far. Has a real Blade Runner feel to it.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 15:14
^It does, I will persevere with Altered Carbon.

I saw this a couple of days ago, and thought I'd share it with the Progheads here -- it might give some Black Mirror watchers nightmares.

Metalheads, on the other hand, might love it.

Edited by Logan - February 15 2018 at 15:15
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 15:28
30th Anniversary of Red Dwarf today! What was life like before Lister, Rimmer, Cat and Kryton? Definitely less fun. "Smoke me a kipper....."
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 16:04
Happy belated anniversary, Red Dwarf!

---------------------------------------------------

I've been loving season 2, mostly, of Westworld. Some really great episodes.

And I saw a trailer on Netflix for a The Dark Crystal series: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, which is due to show in 2019. I really loved that film as a youngster, and I still do.

Edited by Logan - June 15 2018 at 16:33
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 10:26
Just a note that the Westworld trailer for season 3 has dropped (love the use of Pink Floyd in it).

And for a couple of other upcoming shows, the recent Black Mirror trailer for season 5. They are coming out with three new stories set to come to Netflix on June 5, 2019:

And the Stranger Things one (it will be coming out on July 4th, 2019):

And...

My most recent show that I've been watching is the Korean zombie themed Kingdom, which I'm enjoying very much (Korea had one of my favourite modern zombie films with Train to Busan).

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 13:33
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I saw this a couple of days ago, and thought I'd share it with the Progheads here -- it might give some Black Mirror watchers nightmares.

As long as that thing doesn't try to clamp onto my testicles and try to open me, I'd be okay with it.   People will start naming theirs.   Dumb things like "Daisy" and "Ralph" and "Nutmeg".

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 14:18
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

As long as that thing doesn't try to clamp onto my testicles and try to open me, I'd be okay with it.   People will start naming theirs.   Dumb things like "Daisy" and "Ralph" and "Nutmeg".

If I ever want a robot to clamp onto then crack open my nuts, I'll stick with this Nutcracker robot, which can be purchased on amazon:

Please insert meaty nuts in hole
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 14:19
I think Westworld has run it's course.....it didn't look like the trailer even had anything to with Westworld itself.
Unless it is set in one of those created tourist worlds I probably won't be watching.

Sadly I no longer have Net flix and I'm not sure I want to pay for Mirror and Stranger Things since I am already paying up the arse for cable via Comcast.

I'm currently watching A Discovery of Witches....not too bad....I could do without the romance between the head vampire and head witch but the cast is good and the plots are decent with decent effects.

Edited by dr wu23 - May 21 2019 at 14:22
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>