Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wirebender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 15:14
My wife and I just started watching JONATHAN STRANGE AND MR NORRELL.  It's a BBC series set in Victorian times.  

Strong acting and full of atmosphere.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 17:55
I've heard of that, looks good. Thanks, Wirebender. The last series I finished was a BBC show, though not SF or fantasy called Broadchurch -- very good mystery.

As for Carnivale, seen it and liked it. I have had Stranger Things on my Netflix list for quite some time, and keep on meaning to watch it. Also want to see Westworld -- loved the film.

I think some of my my favourites that have a dark SF or fantasy (and horror) vein that I've seen over the last few years have been Les Revenants, Utopia, Black Mirror, Real Humans, Psychoville, Inside No. 9, Misfits, and In the Flesh. Pus various surreal dark comedies which have fantasy and horror elements.

There will be a third season/series of Inside No. 9 (horror comedy) starting with a Christmas special (The Devil of Christmas) on December 27th. And a Doctor Who Christmas special, which I don't expect to be as dark as Doctor Who's "Heaven Sent" or Torchwood's Children of Earth or Miracle Day. ;)
Just a fanboy passin' through.
anotherscott View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anotherscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 18:41
Dollhouse (a Joss Whedon series) was one of my favorites. I also liked the Canadian series Continuum.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 18:48
And another Canadian series, or co-production, Lexx (was on a Lexx forum before I started posting here -- interesting how popular acts in PA such as Can, Cardiacs, Residents, Zappa, and Beefheart were there, but then it was an oddball show).
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 20:17
Since I've been bingeing on anime as of late, I'll leave you with some suggestions:

Claymore (medieval setting with demons)
Darker Than Black (agents with unique powers, noir)
Speed Grapher (similar to DtB)
Death Note 
Elfen Lied 
Neon Genesis Evangelion (you probably already know what this is LOL)
Paprika (movie, psychological)
Psycho-Pass (can't recommend this enough, cyber punk/police)
Knights of Sidonia
Steins;Gate (again, can't recommend this one enough)
Attack On Titan (giants who relentlessly attack a walled city and eat people) 

Since you're already familiar with some anime, I'm assuming you're already aware of Cowboy Bebop and Akira?  If not, get on it. LOL

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 21:15
I love Akira; seen it many times over the years. I also like Cowboy Bebop, Paprika and I do indeed know Neon Genesis Evangelion. The others I will definitely be looking into. Thanks.   Mostly since the kids were born when it comes to anime it's been watching Studio Ghibli.

Side-note: In live action SF films from Japan, a favourite of mine is the 20th Century Boys trilogy (but it's not one I'd generally recommend as I've never known anyone but me that was interested in it).
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 13:22
The ones I have enjoyed over the last year and some are still currently running....
American Horror Story
Westworld
Falling Water
Channel Zero:Candle Cove
Penny Dreadful
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 23:14
Emerald City looks interesting, certainly a darker take on Oz.   It was cancelled back in '14 but it looks like it's back on.

Image result for emerald city

Image result for emerald city

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 12:34
Emerald City is one I want to watch now..

Incidentally, I did watch Stranger Things last month, and I absolutely loved it. Partially it was that 80s aesthetic and the soundtrack that hooked me. I hadn't been that impressed with Netflix produced stuff, but that one was great. Speaking of Netflix produced things, I wasn't so keen on their series of Black Mirror (preferring the Channel 4 ones), but I did like the last episode a lot, although it could have been tighter.

I actually discovered lots of great for me stuff since that initial post (I think I did some other similar polls which mentioned more). So to make a new list off the top of my head while rementioning some others, faves, no matter how loosely have been:

Utopia
Les Revenants (The Returned)
Real Humans
Black Mirror
Dead Set
In the Flesh
Psychoville
Inside No. 9
League of Gentlemen (relatively old show, but it sort of counts and I only finished watching it in the last couple of years)
Garth Merenghi's Darkplace
Torchwood Children of Earth and to a lesser extent Miracle Day
Doctor Who's Heaven Sent (and Face the Raven) which nicely counts for this SF/ fantasy/ horror kind of topic.
And I enjoyed the 4400.

If Dexter were fantasy/ SF, or generally the fantastic, which it is not, that is another dark one I only got around to last year and liked it a lot (although I did stop after a few seasons).

I also during that period, I think, finally watched all of the episodes of Blake's 7 (and it can be very dark SF). What a great classic. Also Chocky. Both shows that I'd seen as a kid, but never all of the episodes.

These days I find myself following "real" science the most, but I'll always have a special place in my heart for science fiction. Partially because I like how SF speculates upon potential ramifications of science. Had I not been lazy when it came to learning the language of mathematics I would have studied science much more.

Did anyone else see the Inside No. 9 Christmas special? I wouldn't spoil it for anyone, but I think that Darkplace fans (as well as general fans of Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton obviously) might find it interesting. It's not my fave Inside No. 9 episode, but there isn't a lot of creepy Christmas fare.

Edited by Logan - January 04 2017 at 12:41
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 18:39
So, I finished watching season/ series one of Westworld, and I found it very good. It has more depth than the film version, and I like series/ films/ novels that have central ethical questions. I'm now looking forward to season 2.

To those who like Westworld, I would suggest checking out the series Real Humans (which was remade as Humans).

I decided to watch Westworld after listening to the Sam Harris with Paul Bloom podcast conversation, Abusing Dolores. https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/abusing-Dolores A.I. is an interesting topic.

Edited by Logan - February 15 2017 at 18:41
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 20:48
not sci-fi but extremely dark are some Scandinavian crime series like "Commissioner Beck" (a man), "Commissioner Lund" (a woman), "100 Code", "Wallander" or the three part series "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

the best of these series, however, is "The Bridge", a Swedish-Danish co-production. the title refers to the bridge that connects Sweden and Denmark. the leading Swedish cop is a woman who suffers from Asperger's syndrome, brilliantly played by Swedish actress Sofia Helin (who does not suffer from that syndrome herself). this series is a must-watch; it was a big success in Denmark, Finland, Sweden and Norway and also in the UK. the 4th season of this series is currently in production

for more information about the series look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_(2011_TV_series)

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 12:05
The Magicians on the sy-fy channel is very good.....currently on season 2.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2017 at 18:29
Still have the Magicians on my radar (wish it was on our Netflix). And I have mentioned it elsewhere, but I love the Bridge.

While awaiting new seasons of Westworld especially, I adored that show, and Stranger Things which I loved too, I found another dark one that really appealed to me. Unfortunately, it only got three episodes which acts as an extended pilot. There was some talk of it being picked up beyond that, but not for a long time (and it came out in 2015). It stars Iwan Rheon of Game of Thrones and Misfits and Natalia Tena of Game and Thrones and the White Christmas episode of Black Mirror and was directed by Alex Garcia Lopez (who directed epsiodes of Utopia and Misfits) It's called Residue. Doubt the show will continue, but was still worth watching for me. Shame.

Please keep the recommendations coming, especially for anything dark, edgy, and new that comes along (it needn't be sci-fi or fantasy). I know I've seen some other good ones since I last posted, but can't recall them at the moment. American Gods has started, but I didn't catch the first episode (as but one show I want to watch no matter how well it fits what I've already listed). And we have the new Twin peaks to look forward to. Right now I'm watching Hannibal as I didn't catch that when it was first running (wasn't taken as much by it as by Dexter, but I haven't seen much). And I really liked The Killing.

Just for my own purposes to keep track of it, I want to start making some lists on imdb or something. It can be a slog just finding the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Right now I'd especially like anything in the Westworld vein.
Mr. Robot is one I'm planning to watch.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 11:52
Just two heads-up. Both of these have been up for a while, but I'm very excited about the return of both of these shows, but here is the Stranger Things season 2 trailer (show coming back on Halloween -- EDIT, oops, October 27, even says so in the trailer):

And Westworld season 2 (coming out in 2018). More people need to see this show.

And weird, I thought I posted about Death Note in this topic (maybe somewhere else). Some while back I binged the anime version of Death Note, and absolutely loved it. Recently Netflix remade Death Note as a live action made-for-Netflix movie, but I haven't managed to make it all the way through.   They seem to have lost the feel and characterization that made the anime special to me. That was not unexpected (there have also been some Japanese live-action adaptations of the manga).

As for other shows I've mentioned that I'm excited about that are coming back. Series/ season four of Black Mirror may come out this December.

And the anthology series Inside No. (which I recommend for fans of Black Mirror, as well as those into The League of Gentlemen and Psychoville) is coming back I think for Christmas (or on Boxing Day).

Edited by Logan - September 10 2017 at 12:07
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 13:31
Go back to the late 90's with the Star Trek for perverts that was LEXX!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 13:52
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

I worship His Dvine Shadow. Here's little Lexxy limerick of mine.

There once was a cannibal called Giggerota,
Whose carnal app'tites couldn't be any hottah.
She preferred to eat meat
Ever tender and sweet,
Cause with her long tongue she would lick it a lotta.

I used to debate questions such as Zev or Xev, who is hotter?

I enjoyed season one of LEXX the most, but season two was really good as well. I really enjoy the dark comedy aspect of LEXX.

I posted at the LEXX board. Some stupid LEXX fanfic I wrote that was archived at a later Lexx forum site: http://littlelexx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=794 I used the username FunkET.

Edited by Logan - September 10 2017 at 14:17
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 14:36
There is an old German sf-series from 1966. In it extraterrestrials threaten the earth; they do all kinds of things to destroy the earth. There are also episodes in which robots take control on a planetary base or where the inhabitants of a penal colony try to gain control of the universe, so it is pretty dark. There is, however, a lot of humor too.

Here is the trailer with English subtitles:

Enjoy!

Edited by BaldFriede - September 10 2017 at 14:37

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 15:32
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Ever tender and sweet,

I enjoyed season one of LEXX the most, but season two was really good as well. I really enjoy the dark comedy aspect of LEXX.

I posted at the LEXX board. Some stupid LEXX fanfic I wrote that was archived at a later Lexx forum site: http://littlelexx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=794 I used the username FunkET.

Aww, I wish I'd known about that site! And as great as Zev was, Xev had the better lips. And dreads! (Unless that was a wig). I really love the serial of the third series and even the fourth series was nowhere near as bad as people made out. I love the great visual joke of "We must look inconspicuous!" and then the next shot is Stan in his red uniform, Xev in her outfit and dressed in black, unconscious in a shopping trolley, Kai! Going across a wide open field in broad daylight while a police car looks on!

Also, this might be difficult, but I find the end scenes of 791 hilarious! Where Stan is almost raped by a cyborg with 790's head on, and struggling to control the android and hating every second of it!
"You're not pretty... But you're my kind of ugly!".

Edited by AZF - September 10 2017 at 15:37
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 16:16

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Ever tender and sweet,

Aww, I wish I'd known about that site! And as great as Zev was, Xev had the better lips. And dreads! (Unless that was a wig). I really love the serial of the third series and even the fourth series was nowhere near as bad as people made out. I love the great visual joke of "We must look inconspicuous!" and then the next shot is Stan in his red uniform, Xev in her outfit and dressed in black, unconscious in a shopping trolley, Kai! Going across a wide open field in broad daylight while a police car looks on!

Also, this might be difficult, but I find the end scenes of 791 hilarious! Where Stan is almost raped by a cyborg with 790's head on, and struggling to control the android and hating every second of it!
"You're not pretty... But you're my kind of ugly!".

Xenia's (Xev) lips.... I got into trouble as I loved to photoshop, and I had a little parody/fake news site (I should have called it the Bunion). She was understandably upset about some of my images of her, including one where I blew up her lips several times the size with the short-lived headline: Xenia's Collagen Disaster. I pulled it.   

I found 791 really disturbing, but it is funny. The third was good, and I liked the concept of the fourth series, and it certainly had funny moments. Bad carrots.... Such a raunchy show; lots of fun.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 16:26
There was a Czech SF-series in the 80s that was very popular in Germany. It was actually designed for children. All the more astonishing that there was occasionally full nudity in it. The name was "Die Besucher" ("The Visitors"). The plot starts in 2484. A team of 4 people has to travel back in time to 1984 to make sure that the inventor of the time machine really invents his device.

Here is the first episode (in German).

Edited by BaldFriede - September 10 2017 at 16:33

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>