Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Analog Kid by Rush - choir effects in chorus
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Analog Kid by Rush - choir effects in chorus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Analog Kid by Rush - choir effects in chorus
    Posted: November 20 2014 at 15:37
What am I hearing in the chorus of The Analog Kid when the choir comes in? It certainly isn't a Mellotron, and it doesn't sound much like an Optigan either. I did some searching and I can't figure it out. Anyone know what Geddy is playing? I can't figure out if any of the Oberheim synths he used could create such an effect.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 15:48
^A sample.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 16:11
It's a really good sample for 1982... maybe I'm a bit ignorant to how fast analog synths progressed back then.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 10:04
^Basically the answer was to alert you to the fact that there were no rules in a recording studio, so the choir could be from many different sources. And 'sampling' most certainly did exist in 1982, just not in the way we recognize it today.

Edited by SteveG - November 21 2014 at 10:05
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 07:19
wait, SAMPLING?!?! when the hell did that even start?! sh*t....
Progrockdude
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 13:07
The first keyboard sampler that was marketed for under $10,000 was E-mu's Emulator I in '81 or '82. Before that, sampling tech like the Fairlight was prohibitively expensive for guys and girls in bands who wanted to own a sampler. Akai's S series of samplers starting in '86 were much more affordable for the common musician.

To me, sampling was/is more of a fad. I prefer analog(ue) and quality digital (not DX Rhodes, etc., haha) synthesizer sounds to samples. That awful orchestra hit sample was everywhere in the second half of the '80s, as was the overused Shakuhachi sample. The only time I've ever liked the orch-hit was when Mark Shreeve utilized it, primarily on his classic '85 album Legion.

These are the synths Geddy used on Signals: Minimoog and Moog Taurus pedals, Oberheim OB-8 / OB-X / OB-Xa, Roland Jupiter 8 (one of the best synths ever); plus Oberheim's DSX sequencer (for "The Weapon," no doubt) and from Roland's legendary TR series, the 808. 

I'm going to hazard a guess that the choir (which sounds like a layer to me) is a modified choir-strings from the OB-Xa, which had the ability to "to split the keyboard into two halves with different voices and the ability to layer voices to create thicker sound." If Geddy had the 8-voice model, he no doubt could coax a very lush sound from the OB-Xa by itself. Then throw a generous reverb on it and you have a sound that fills out all the space between the channels.

I could be wrong and it could be the Jupiter 8, which is a phenomenal synth that is still used today and can be heard on a lot of Tangerine Dream albums in the early '80s. Giorgio Moroder used it all over Scarface, too.

Post Reply Post Reply